One-And-Only GTA Vice City Impressions and Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked this up at Best Buy.
Old 10-29-02, 09:51 AM

I just went to Toys R Us this morning and bought mine (along with TS2 and LOTR: TT). I have to wait till much later this evening to play though.

BTW - They're only allowing one copy per person.
Old 10-29-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Three words
WOW WOW WOW
Old 10-29-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got mine too. First time i flew off the motorcycle i died laughing.
Old 10-29-02, 11:14 AM

I got mine from KB for $39.99 using the 20% discount that I had from their toy club card promotion a few weeks ago.

I can't wait to get home!
Old 10-29-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Argh ... I have this right here with me, but I won't be home til 8. This is torture.
Old 10-29-02, 11:33 AM

I arrived at the closest Best Buy to me this morning at 9:45am. There were about 30 people waiting at the door. They didn't even let us in until 10:05, when we entered and went back to the video game department 2 employees had huge smirks on their faces. No one could locate the game and the employees kept saying not until tomorrow, the offical street date is tomorrow. I chimed in saying that EB, Babbages, etc... has it, why don't you just go to the back and bring it out to us. They kept on smiling and told us to go to the stores that we thought had it. Anyway, I told everyone that there was another Best Buy about 5 miles away, everyone went there and low and behold there sat GTA:VC on the shelf with a cart full right next to it. I purchased mine for $35 (used my $5 GamePro coupon), went back to Babbages and got my $5 refunded for reserving it. This just goes to show that yes, Best Buy is evil, but not all Best Buy's are that way. I want so bad to go back to that Best Buy and tell them to get off their high horse and stop hoarding the game because the other store is raking in all the sales. It isn't worth my trouble though, I'm just going to enjoy the game.
Old 10-29-02, 11:44 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

10 things I love about Vice City

1. Motorcycles! This will be everyone's favorite. The moped has amazing handling, but it's speed is average. Also, the sound is annoying. The big Hog is fast and brutal. It can take damage like no other. It just sucks to stop or turn, but the powerslides are fun. The Crotch Rocket performs exactly how you think it would, light speed! Just don't get hit or you will find out how Superman flies on kryptonite.

2. The Size! It's overwhelming. Think GTA 3 enviroments times four. The draw distance has also been improved.

3. The Voice acting! IMO, it's above and beyond GTA3. It sounds more like a flowing conversation rather than sound bites. Plus Ray Liotta is quite suberb in the role of Tommy. Great one-liners.

4. Threads and Clubs! You have the ability to change clothes for different jobs. Also, if you change clothes in the middle of a police chase, it will get rid of a wanted star. I'm also digging the future ability to purchase my own safehouse as soon as I have the green to afford it. I've got my eye on a strip club.

5. Hand to hand weapons! Get a chainsaw as soon as possible. Also, the screwdriver and golf club is alot of fun. I can't wait to get home to try out the Katana.

6. Crime happens without you! The city breathes more life this time around. Example: I'm walking down the street and I see a scuffle up ahead. Some dude is running away from 3 cops chasing him in my direction. I position myself in front of him and start wailing on the crook. After he goes down, the cops give me $50 for my "Citizen's arrest" LOL!

7. Cell phone instead of the Pager! Huge improvment for people with small TVs. I always found the pager tough to read on anything smaller than a 32" Anyway, the cell phone rings and tells you where to go now. The phone is huge by the way. Very comical and true to the time period.

8. Cops found a brain! They are much harder to lose in cars now. They will shoot out your tires and run you down like a dog. They still have a hard time shooting you on foot, but they work together a little more.

9. DTS sound! Big improvement over GTA3. While it's only in 4.0, everything is directional now. I can hear a car coming up behind me much easier.

10. Vechicle bailouts! You really don't know how much fun it is until you try it. It's even better when you take out a few pedestrians with the moving car.

Funniest moment so far

I was in the middle of a police chase and desperate for a car. I carjacked a slow piece for crap car. After I tossed out the driver, I took off as fast as I could. Strangely, I kept hearing screaming all over the place. I slowed down at a certain point and the passenger door flies open.

It turns out someone else was in the car with me! She bailed out when I slowed down and ran away screaming. I almost felt sorry for her, but the pyschopath inside me said Run Her Over. So I did.
Old 10-29-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by viscera
No one could locate the game and the employees kept saying not until tomorrow, the offical street date is tomorrow. I chimed in saying that EB, Babbages, etc... has it, why don't you just go to the back and bring it out to us. They kept on smiling and told us to go to the stores that we thought had it.
The local Best Buy near my work has that same policy - so I didn't even bother going up there (they did the same thing with the network adapter). Fortunately I checked my order from ebworld, and according to FedEx, it's sitting on my front porch at home!!
Old 10-29-02, 12:09 PM

I went to Best Buy this morning as well after picking a copy for myself at Toys R Us. TRU wouldn't let me buy two so I decided to head over to BB on 23rd and 7th. A bunch of us waited in line for half an hour and finally an employee asks us why we're there. We respond 'for GTA'. He tells gleefully us to come back tomorrow! This was of course after numerous employees icluding the one mentioned passed through on their way in. They obvioulsy saw us. So why didn't anyone say anything?

I ended up telling the others that TRU was selling it and gave them all directions.

For those of you lucky enopugh to be playing while I stare at the box in front of me at work: how's the katana and does it slice people in two? How high can you get your stars now and does it just end with the miltary and tanks like in GTA3?
Old 10-29-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How do people feel about the combat controls and camera. Is it improved any over GTA3? Is it still insane?
Old 10-29-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flay

[
Funniest moment so far

I was in the middle of a police chase and desperate for a car. I carjacked a slow piece for crap car. After I tossed out the driver, I took off as fast as I could. Strangely, I kept hearing screaming all over the place. I slowed down at a certain point and the passenger door flies open.

It turns out someone else was in the car with me! She bailed out when I slowed down and ran away screaming. I almost felt sorry for her, but the pyschopath inside me said Run Her Over. So I did.
Old 10-29-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My only dissapointment so far is the lack of a classical music station. Maybe I'm in the minority, but that was my favorite in GTA3.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-29-02, 12:24 PM

I really enjoyed that as well. The DJ was funny in a snooty sort of way.
Old 10-29-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Flay
Funniest moment so far

That happened to me too - I jacked a car, threw the guy out, and drove off. I hear screaming, and I'm like WTF, so I do the side views and see a woman in the passenger seat. I kindly fly down the road, hit the handbrake, and slide into a car(the rear of mine hit the front of it) on her side of the car, letting her safely out of the car at about 50 mph into oncoming traffic. Classic I tell you.
Old 10-29-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was about 10 people waiting at the Best Buy I was at. When the store opened casually made my way around to the video game section but saw everyone leaving with disappointment on their faces so I knew it hadn't arrived yet. Since I was off of work I decided to look around a bit. After about 10 minutes one of the employees approached me and asked if I was there for GTA. I said yeah and he replied that they had just arrived. Pretty nice experience.

I also miss the classical station. Some memorable moments so far...

Having to smash a couple of cars with my hammer. I was driving the moped at the time. It was just funny smashing up a car and then riding away in my little moped to the next assignment.

After another mission I was in my golf outfit carrying a golf club. I was riding around on the moped (again) when I crashed and landed on top of another car. I started riding on top of the car for a while when I decided to start swinging the club. Sure enough, I started smashing the windshield with the club while the car was still moving.
Old 10-29-02, 12:45 PM

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but how come I am not getting DTS sound? I have my optical connection with the ps2 and everything else set up correctly in terms of equipment.
Old 10-29-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MoViE FaNaTiC
Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but how come I am not getting DTS sound? I have my optical connection with the ps2 and everything else set up correctly in terms of equipment.
Do you have a DTS receiver? I forget if the PS2 has an option to turn that on through the menus also, since i havent touched my PS2 in a while. Not sure if GTA has an option since i do not have it....YET
Old 10-29-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have any of you gone inside the movie studio yet? Seeing how this is DVDtalk, I definitely think you'll all get a kick out of it. There is some really cool stuff in there, check it out. Of course I won't spoil it.
The motorcycles really are sweet. Right now I'm driving a properly named "Faggio". The game is amazing. I haven't started the missions yet, just screwed around in the city for the past few hours. So much to do.
When those with a game get a chance, pick up a hooker. Listen to the conversation, then proceed to laugh your a$$ off.
The coolest thing I've done so far is lead a 5 minute car chase down the beach in a corvette with all 4 wheels blown out. I'd slow down so the swat team would drop its ropes from the copter, then pick 'em off when I sped off. This game is so money!
Well - it's on pause, and time for me to get back to it.
Old 10-29-02, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
Do you have a DTS receiver?
Yes
Old 10-29-02, 01:05 PM

Never mind, I figured it out. Stupid me, forgot to check the audio options in game. (sorry 1st DTS game for me)
Old 10-29-02, 01:18 PM

First let me say...

BEST GAME EVER!!!

I have only played for about 45 minutes, but I am already in love with this game. But, I have one complaint, and I am surprised no one has mentioned it:

What is the deal with the delay when you start walking or running? When Tommy is at a stand still, and you start moving, it takes about a second for him to start moving. In GTA 3 this was not an issue. It has been bugging a little, especially when I am trying to move away from danger, and he just doesn't seem to go. Anyone else find this troubling?

But that is one minor gripe, and the only problem I have had so far.

BTW, the motorcycles are INCREDIBLY fun to drive.
Old 10-29-02, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just got the call from Gamestop. My pre-order is ready for pick-up. Gamestop's on my way home from work, and I'm not going 20 minutes out of my way for a few bucks cheaper at Best Buy. I've never been this excited to play a video game before.
Old 10-29-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by caiman

What is the deal with the delay when you start walking or running? When Tommy is at a stand still, and you start moving, it takes about a second for him to start moving. In GTA 3 this was not an issue. It has been bugging a little, especially when I am trying to move away from danger, and he just doesn't seem to go. Anyone else find this troubling?
I noticed this as well. I got used to though or at least I didn't notice it as much after I had played for about an hour and a half.
Old 10-29-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by remjim
I just went to Toys R Us this morning and bought mine (along with TS2 and LOTR: TT). I have to wait till much later this evening to play though.

BTW - They're only allowing one copy per person.
Ditto for me. Stopped by Best Buy on my lunch break but was told they were have "shipment problems". Since TRU is one mile away I stopped by there and decided to use the buy 2 get 1 free deal to get Vice City, LOTR:TT, and NBA Live. Was a happy day and thanks for those posting in this forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.