Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Something Different....arcade warehouse raid!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,
I'm tired of the console wars as well. I thought I would give you all an update on my hobby. As some as you know, I collect and restore REAL arcade games. I have several and, like any junkie, think about arcade games day and night. It completely dominates my brain !

Anywho....
Most collectors will tell you that the ultimate thrill is finding an undiscovered warehouse (undiscovered by a greedy collector) full of classic arcade games and pinball machines. There are a lot of these out there....unfortunately, most have been discovered by collectors who raid the contents and sell them off on ebay. I know of one warehouse that has not been cleared out, and I have taken several games out of this warehouse in BFE, Kansas. But, the owner has become a little more educated on the hobby and has jacked the prices.

Any game collector is constantly telling everyone he runs in to about his hobby in the hopes of getting a hot tip. These hot tips are usually about someone's uncle such and such, who use to own the such and such, who has a bunch of old 80's games that he does not know what to do with!

Well....
I have finally made the contact with a person in a small town in KS that may have just what I described above....a virgin warehouse! I spent a brief time talking to the owner and set up a time to visit this friday morning.

What will I find? How will the owner deal with the situation? Will I find a rare classic gathering dust in the back of an old building?

..............stay tuned, I'll keep you posted
Old 09-25-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much do machines often run anyhow?
Old 09-25-02, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
How much do machines often run anyhow?
Depends, like anything else.
Kind of like cars....there are Ferrari's and Yugo's

I have seen them go at auction for $10.00 and as high as $25,000 ! but most of the good classic games that everybody likes usually goes from $250 to $750 with most in the lower of that range.

These are the most popular "Classics"
MRS PAC MAN
GALAGA
TRON
ROBOTRON
CENTIPEDE
DONKEY KONG
DIG DUG
SPACE INVADERS
PAC MAN
DEFENDER
Old 09-25-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope you find some real gems FonMan. How many arcade games do you currently own? Can you list some of them?
Old 09-26-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would love to see pictures of your "game room"
Old 09-26-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sounds like a really cool hobby, I've always wanted a classic arcade game but could never justify spending money on one. Some day maybe I will though. I too would love to see some pics of what you have.
Old 09-26-02, 02:15 AM

Well FonMan, you can hook me up since the wherehouse is in Kansas You can just drop off a Galaga machine on the side of 435 highway near the 95th street exit in Lenexa, I'll take care of the rest. Good luck to you, hope you find some treasures!
Old 09-26-02, 02:21 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Find me a Discs Of Tron Enviromental please
Old 09-26-02, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I want TRON and Dragons' Lair.

-k
###
Old 09-26-02, 03:15 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Tron and DL are easily acquirable, they had some show like 2 weekends ago at the SJ Fairgrounds where those were for sale.
Old 09-26-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do you deal with screen burn in? Are those monitors custom jobs or are they just tvs?
Old 09-26-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fonman, would you consider this place expensive? I've been looking at their cocktail models.

http://www.arcadegames.com/html/clas...s_arcades.html
Old 09-26-02, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CreatureX
I hope you find some real gems FonMan. How many arcade games do you currently own? Can you list some of them?
WOW
This thread took off after I went to bed

In my current collection

Dig Dug 100% Restoration
SPy Hunter Upright 90% complete
TRON !!!! (My baby, awaiting minty-fresh new side art)

Currently looking for:
Galaga
Mrs Pac Man
BurgerTime
Track & Field
Dragon's Lair
Space Ace
Donkey Kong
Tempest
....and anything else interesting

I have several sitting in a warehouse for whenever I want to take on new projects....they just take a loooooong time (not to mention that the wife's Durangon is now parked outside so I can have the garage space)
Old 09-26-02, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I would love to see pictures of your "game room"
As soon as I figure out how to store my pictures on the internet, I will have them up (any advice about free servers would be great)
Old 09-26-02, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Copenhagen
That sounds like a really cool hobby, I've always wanted a classic arcade game but could never justify spending money on one. Some day maybe I will though. I too would love to see some pics of what you have.
I once thought that as well, and there are some expensive games out there, But if you are willing to learn and look around the internet, you can get them VERY cheap. Its very addictive and takes A LOT of space !
Old 09-26-02, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by viscera
Well FonMan, you can hook me up since the wherehouse is in Kansas You can just drop off a Galaga machine on the side of 435 highway near the 95th street exit in Lenexa, I'll take care of the rest. Good luck to you, hope you find some treasures!
hehe,
I tell you what. I will post what I find on this thread. If you are serious, maybe we can work something out. I kind of doubt that they will be free, but maybe cheap

BTW, I'm out in Olathe.
Old 09-26-02, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dek
Find me a Discs Of Tron Enviromental please
I had the chance to get a EDOT (Envir. Discs of TRon) a couple of months ago for $400 (which is crazy cheap for this) but it was in Birmingham Alabama. By the time I figured out how to get a trailor and get a date set, it was sold

They are BIG SOB's though !

(I want one also )
Old 09-26-02, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
I want TRON and Dragons' Lair.

-k
###
I have a TRON (no, you cant! ) and it was my reason to start this hobby....I must have put about $125,000 in quarters in to that machine back in the day. Luckily, they made a boat-load of them so they can be found. Top quality ones go for well over $1000 sometimes. I got my working one for $200 !

Dragon's Lair is another story. They are ALL crazy expensive, routinely going for $2000 in good condition. I am hoping to stumble across one in a warehouse someday....like FRIDAY !!
Old 09-26-02, 10:30 AM
Banned

That sounds like a cool hobby. I'd probably want the Simpsons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I'm not really into the classic games.
Old 09-26-02, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CharlesC
How do you deal with screen burn in? Are those monitors custom jobs or are they just tvs?
I HATE screen burn-in. If it is noticable, I trash the monitor or trade it. I buy brand new ones if I plan on keeping the game from WellsGardner or HappControls. Believe it or not, they are old RGB monitors. The funny thing is that they cost more than TV's or computer monitors now. I usually find decent ones for under $200
Old 09-26-02, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dek
Tron and DL are easily acquirable, they had some show like 2 weekends ago at the SJ Fairgrounds where those were for sale.
You can find them, but they can get expensive. Especially DL
Old 09-26-02, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by who me?
Fonman, would you consider this place expensive? I've been looking at their cocktail models.

http://www.arcadegames.com/html/clas...s_arcades.html
STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS

They have good stuff, but if you did a little looking on EBAY or on the newsgroups or a local game auction, you can find all of that stuff for at least half these prices.

To give you an example, I was at an auction in KC last weekend that had PERFECT coctail Mrs. Pacman that went for $950, and thats even a little high.

The site you listed is a business for people who have no idea how much this stuff cost. I'm sure a lot of pro athletes and movie stars buy from these guys, but unless you have that kind of jack lying around with no other good use, stay away.

BTW, almost all big cities have game auctions. I know of ones around the midwest in cities like KC, Des Moines, Dallas, St. Louis, Denver, Minneapolis, and sometimes Omaha. I here of others all over the place.
Old 09-26-02, 10:56 AM

This is a hobby I'd love to get into.....when I get a house. I love the classic arcade games and I've already told my wife to expect to see some in our place, just as soon as we get something other than a one bedroom apartment.
Old 09-26-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Where can i find out if there are game auctions in the Sacramento area?
Old 09-26-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fonman,

What would be the ultimate find? In terms of money and/or your personal preference?

Good luck and bring home a winner

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.