Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question About Cables

Old 09-21-02, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Question About Cables

OK I got into the Live testing, and I was also planning on purchasing the network adaptor for PS2 when I see one laying around. I don't feel like looking high and low for one. Anyway you have to get Cat-5 ethernet cable to connect it right? I already have the router all set up, but I want to make sure I get the right cable because there seems to be a huge variation in price. If someone could help me out, what is a good place to buy from, I am looking for I think 15' would be a good length. Should I buy two cables or just switch the one cable between the 2 systems? It will take 3 seconds to switch between them, but I was wondering if swapping could cause problems in any way. Anyway where to get one, and how much should I expect to pay.
Old 09-22-02, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'll need either a crossover cable or a straight through cable... I'm not sure which you'll need but X-over cables usually connect a NIC to a router/switch, and a straight through is usually NIC to NIC, I'd assume you'll need a crossover cable.
Old 09-22-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other way around, crossovers are from NIC to NIC. Switching the cables should be okay, but that's too much hassle for me, I'd rather spend the 10-15 bucks.
Old 09-22-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
www.newegg.com has 14 ft of cat5 patch cable for 9 bucks shipped. They have it in black too so it won't look goofy.

You don't need crossover cables.

If you are gonna order 2 cables, you can call newegg to order the cables, they'll probably give you a good price on shipping.

I'm sure you could find some for cheaper, but I just order everything from newegg.
Old 09-26-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK I just got the package and in the manual it says to use RJ-45 ethernet cable. Is that the same as Cat-5. I am running this through a DLINK 4-port router.
Old 09-26-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RJ-45 is the designation for the connector (much like RJ-11 is the connector on a regular old phone cord). Cat-X is just the data speed rating. But essentially, a Cat-5 cable is going to be RJ-45.
Old 09-26-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks a lot Aghama, that really clears things up for me.