Reload this Page >

Should I dump my GC and games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-04-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really tired of waiting for games that I want to come out for the GC. I knew when I got my GC that it would be a while for some of the better titles to come out. I have had mine since the Saturday night that they came out, and I have 3 games. Star Wars is very cool, but it got old by December. Monkey Ball is a great game, but has also gotten very old. If it was not for the Franchise mode in Madden 2002, I would not have had a reason to touch my GC since before the holidays. Everytime I go in BB or TRU or Babbages, I see shelves of games for the PS2 or X-Box and the same small group for the GC. I have thought about selling my GC and getting a PS2 for a month. I keep talking myself out of it because NBA2K2 is coming soon and the RE game and WWF game will be coming out. I know that I can get $160 trade in at Babbages on my system, and I see used GC sell on ebay for $40 everyday. So if I did sell my system and games, I would not lose out too bad. If I sold it all, I would get a PS2. I could get GTA3, NBA2K2, or 100 other games right now. The X-Box has a nice selection of games, but for some reason I am not sold on it. Have any of you other GC owners thought about selling your system?
Old 03-04-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Me thinks you may have the same problem with an XBox. I own a PS2 and an XBox and without a doubt the PS2 gets the most attention (that has a lot to do with the fact that I never own a PSOne so I have a backlog of those games to go through).

This topic seems to come up every once in a while, someone's not happy with their current system and they're eyeing another console, whether it's the GCN, XBox, or PS2. It all comes down to the games. If the PS2 has a lot of games you'd like to play then go for it.

The nice thing about the Gamecube is the price. It makes it a whole lot easier to revisit later when there are some more games that you are willing to invest your time in.
Old 03-04-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's funny you ask this. Today I was watching TV and there was an ad for the Gamecube on. Most of the games they were advertising were A) Not even released yet or B)Available on other Consoles already or C)both. I own a PS2 and love it. FF X, GTA 3, GT3, Ace Combat 4, NCAA Football, NHL 2002, and the Bond Game(great multiplayer). I would never part with my PS2. A gamecube seems like an attractive second system for me but I still think if I was going to have two systems, I'd get the XBox for the sheer power. In the end, it's your call. I say if you're not happy and don't wanna wait to play good games, sell it and get a PS2.
Old 03-04-02, 10:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Before you get rid of it, at least play some more titles than the three you have. There are many good ones you're missing out on, including Pikmin, Waverace, Smash Bros...hell, even the underrated Sonic.
Old 03-04-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big Nintendo fan and I have never encouraged someone to give up on Nintendo, but at this point their games game little or no replay value. It seems as though they made the games as short as they could to get them out in time and they are paying for it because everyone is selling off their systems.

I'd say trade it in and get a PS2. Then buy it again when the games you want are finally released. That's the best unbiased oppinion I can give you.
Old 03-04-02, 10:39 PM

I would keep the GC. Dude you have it already....you know you'll be buying it later when "those" cool games come out. heck, I just hope those few games aren't delay again.

I'm so bored of my GC but I'm just going to hold on to it. No use selling it and then buying it back again.
Old 03-04-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What you need to do is check out some of the other games available for the GC. Pikmin and Wave Race are great games and Super Smash Bros. might be the best game on the market right now. Since you're a basketball fan I suggest you pick up NBA Street. In case you were wondering, the Cube version turned out great. All-Star Baseball 2003 just came out too. Also, you should pick up Tony Hawk 3. That game can make the days fly by.
Old 03-04-02, 11:13 PM

I would wait until Sony drops the price on PS2, which I heard it will be in May from another thread.
Old 03-04-02, 11:26 PM
Retired

In addition to the games you have, Tony Hawk 3, Wave Race, NBA Street and Super Smash Bros are great.

Pikmin is supposed to be good too, but a little short. NHL Hitz is a pretty fun arcade hockey game (I don't like hockey or I'd own it).

There's bound to be a couple of games there that you'd like to tide you over for a while.

Soon more games will be coming out. NBA2K2 late this month. RE in the end of April. Star Fox and Eternal Darkness in June. WWF X8 sometime over the summer. Turok in Aug. or Sept. Mario, Zelda and Metroid sometime this fall/winter. NCAA Basketball 2K3 and NFL2K3 should be out this fall as well, along with Soul Calibur 2. The line-up should fill up nicely by the end of the year in my opinion.
Old 03-05-02, 12:29 AM

I haven't touched my GC since january but I am not getting rid of it for one reason.... Resident Evil. I know that isn't a good enough reason alone for most people to keep a system but for me it is. I'm a huge fan of RE and it is my most anticipated game(s) coming up.
Old 03-05-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been playing my DC a lot lately instead of my GC...but for awhile I was a Madden and NHL Hits addict.

I have Batman and I have played it once, honestly cause I have so many games for my DC that I just haven't gotten around to it.

I am really waiting on Wrestlemania and the Sega Sports titles...I mean I really want to see what NHL 2k3 will be like on the GC.

I would say give it until the summer, if nothing interests you then, dump it.
Old 03-05-02, 01:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

I know where you're coming from, I used to do that too. I owned a Super Nintendo and a PS at two different points in my life. However I recommend you stick it out.
Old 03-05-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Jabba...

I'd stick it out... some of the cooler games coming out for the system are just around the corner, and no need to loose $$ if you don't have to.

Then again, I also have had a PS2 since the Jap launch, so I'm not in your shoes. I do use my PS2 more than my cube now, but I'm holding onto my cube to get those exclusive capcom games, and Zelda!

-k
###
Old 03-05-02, 04:54 AM

DUMP IT.

I had a GC and like you got sick of the game drought and the lack of any of the more mature games Nintendo promised. Delay after delay and now it looks like Mario and Metroid are not coming out until fall/christmas here in the US.

When Mario hits, I'll snag a used GC for less than I got for my system on fleaBay now and have a game I really want as opposed to settling for something else to play simply because I have a GC.

I wanted to love the GC, I wanted to believe that Nintendo was hitting another, older demographic in addition to the kiddie games they are famous for. So far, all I see are a few solid games that are way way too easy and way way too short (SSM:B the exception of course).

DUMP IT, get an XBox or a PS2, both of which have some solid, interesting and deep titles worth attention. (Jet set radio, DOA3 and Halo are reason enough to own an XBox and will keep you busy well into the next few months when new games start to hit).
The PS2 is an obvious choice with a killer library, the unfortunate thing is that even this early into its life (relative to most consoles) developers are gonna soon max the potential of the black box and the XBox will clearly start to outpace in terms of graphics and AI, etc... (Sony knows this and has pushed development up the PS3 in reaction).

Nintendo is lazy and sitting on it laurels and library and unwilling to hussle for market share. They know Sony has them beat and XBox is not targeting thier younger demographic, so they are content to market to 10 year olds and let Microsoft and Sony duke it out for the other 70% of the gaming world. I like Nintendo's youth oriented games, Luigi's mansion was fun and Pikman very innovative, but the 10 hours of total play time between them does not justify keeping it. DUMP IT now before they move the plant to China and cut prices like the GBA. You can then pick up a used one when a decent killer app like Mario or metroid comes out later in the year, that's what I am going to do.
Old 03-05-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

don't dump it. my GC library includes tricky, smash brothers, pikmin, all star baseball 2003, courtside, sonic and LM. I just picked up LM used and am going to make a run at beating it soon. Pikmin is one of the coolest games i've played in years. I guess it is short, but i haven't beaten it yet, as I have had little to no time to play it, or any game, recently. These games are all great and in march i plan on getting bond. In June, Starfox and RE get released as well as Eternal Darkness. These are reasons enough to KEEP your GC.

Notice I haven't even said Zelda, MArio or Metroid yet?
Old 03-05-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is gathering dust but I'll hold on to it until something good comes out. You'll probably see a resurgance in price on ebay and in stores once Zelda is available. I have a ps2 but truthfully I can't keep my hands off the gameboy advance. Everytime I think I'm done with it I find another game to buy and/or another sale. Sneaking it to work is a nice factor as well. And they thought I went crossed eyed from staring at the computer monitor
Old 03-05-02, 10:12 AM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
Hold on to it...

In my library I have WaveRace, Super Monkey Ball, Rogue Squadron, Luigi's Mansion and XG-3 Racing. Sure I only play my GC about 2 hours a week, I'm finding that all my games have some pretty good replay value.

I'm not with the group that thinks they need to play 20+ hours a week to make things worth it.... and if you are one of those guys, then find another hobby, play a sport, join a book-club, get a girlfriend or an Xbox...

... then in a few months when things look too distant in future, abandon your bottle cap collection, give up on badmiton, burn your books, dump your women, ebay your Xbox... by then those GC games you're waiting for will be out, and you'll be happy...

... until those games get old... or another bigger-better-faster console comes out.

But for me... I'll wait for Mario Party 4 to come out!!!!!!
Old 03-05-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The important thing to remember here is...

That every system, not only the GameCube, is in a game drought. The time between Christmas and late May/early June there are very few great games that come out. The ones that do are either ones that were supposed to be out by Christmas (Morrowind for example) or were already scheduled during the drought period (like Jet Set Radio Future, Sonic Advance Battle, GunValkyrie, Maximo, Rallisport and the spring sports games, etc.).

Within the ones that were already scheduled there will maybe be a few shining lights. JSRF and Maximo are those lights depending on whether you like them or not. There may be other games scheduled that you would be interested in as well.

The GameCube will most likely come out of E3 looking like roses. They have 2 hugely anticipated games coming out within weeks of E3: StarFox Adventures and Eternal Darkness. Then there is the usual Thanksgiving offering (best guess: Metroid Prime) with a little Mario in there as well. And Miyamoto has said that Zelda will be out before the end of the year but that is hard to believe.

I say you should hold onto your GC or you will feel guilty come June more than likely. All 3 consoles are good to own now (I know, I own all 3) but the drought is not GC only, although it is hurting the most out of the 3.

Last edited by AgtFox; 03-05-02 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-05-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you want to sell monkey ball or trade for pikmin I hook ya up!

I'd keep it. I have an xbox as well, and gets less play time in my house then the GC. (I live in a co-op house at college) All the systems are suffering a bit of a drought.

I know my BB has a awful time stocking GC games, I would look elsewhere too, there are quite a few games out.
Old 03-07-02, 10:04 AM

Well, I traded in my GC two weeks ago and came away with an Xbox and 3 games (Halo, SSX Tricky, NHL HITZ). I have yet to regret it. Halo alone has offered me more fun playtime than my GC did. NHL Hitz (which I also owned for the GC) is so much better on the Xbox, as it has better opponent AI (no more 20-5 matches against the CPU , now it is more like 7-4 or closer), much better graphics (cleaner player models, better lighting, improved FX like fire and smoke trails on the puck), and it also plays much faster than the GC version. While I didn't play SSX Tricky on the GC, I can't see the GC version being better than the Xbox version for one reason, that crappy GC D-pad would make it so difficult to do the flips and such (hell, that same crappy D-pad made THPS3 completely unplayable for me).

You could always get the PS2 because of the amount of games, but at least for me almost every PS2 game I want is coming out on all systems (the FF and Twisted Metal series being the exceptions), and having worked at an EB software and a Blockbuster video, I have experienced way too many problems with the PS2 to warrant purchasing it at its current price tag (one of the main reasons I went with the Xbox).
Old 03-07-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
NHL Hitz (which I also owned for the GC) is so much better on the Xbox, as it has better opponent AI (no more 20-5 matches against the CPU , now it is more like 7-4 or closer), much better graphics (cleaner player models, better lighting, improved FX like fire and smoke trails on the puck), and it also plays much faster than the GC version.
Interesting that the AI could be better when the code for the AI is identical.

I have also played both versions, the AI is the same. I own the xbox version simply because I was able to trade for it. I don't really see that much different in graphics either, but that can be a matter of opinion I guess.he puck does look slightly better.
Old 03-07-02, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Zinc
They know Sony has them beat and XBox is not targeting thier younger demographic, so they are content to market to 10 year olds and let Microsoft and Sony duke it out for the other 70% of the gaming world. .
on the mark! That is sadly ever so true. The 20year + crowd old school Nintendo fans are getting no respect from Nintendo. Zero game support for mature gamers. Cartoon orientated crap is pissing me off. I still love the GC , but you do need an alternative system. (that's if you have time to play games haha)
Old 03-07-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Resident Evil is coming out May 1st and of course June will be a big month for games. The Xbox is in no better shape right now game wise. Its going to be slow until the summer.
Old 03-07-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Resident Evil is coming out May 1st and of course June will be a big month for games. The Xbox is in no better shape right now game wise. Its going to be slow until the summer.
last I saw RE was coming in October
Old 03-07-02, 11:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Anthony Soprano

last I saw RE was coming in October
Resident Evil 0 is coming in October. The "remake" of Resident Evil 1 is coming May 1.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.