Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

U.S.judge dismisses Columbine suit against media

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do you think violent video games spawn terrible acts of crudity?
Yes
3.45%
No
96.55%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys check out this articule:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020304/n04355400_1.html

Monday March 4, 8:25 pm Eastern Time

DENVER, March 4 (Reuters) - A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit that claimed Time Warner Inc. and other entertainment companies produced works that drove two teenagers to gun down and kill a teacher and 12 fellow students in the 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

The family of Dave Sanders, a teacher who was fatally shot during the massacre in Littleton, Colorado, brought the suit against Time Warner, now known as AOL Time Warner (NYSE:AOL - news) ,and the company's New Line Cinema as makers and distributors of ``The Basketball Diaries.''

After the shooting, it was discovered that gunmen Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, -- who were also killed during the massacre-- were avid fans of violent video games and the movie ``The Basketball Diaries.''

In the movie, the protagonist guns down his teacher and some classmates in cold blood.

The family also sued producers of video games such as Acclaim Entertainment (NasdaqSC:AKLM - news), Atari Corp. and Nintendo's Nintendo of America unit, saying the two young men were unduly influenced by the games.

But U.S. District Judge Lewis Babcock said courts around the United States have rejected similar claims brought against media or entertainment defendants.

The judge said the two gunmen were the ones responsible for the teacher's death.

This is kinda a touchy subject...but what do you think? I for one believe that the Judge made the right move
Old 03-05-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without a doubt, the judge made the right call here.
Old 03-06-02, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOOOYAH!
Old 03-06-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They were suing Atari? Yeah, after a game of Combat I feel like going out and shooting everyone up.

Old 03-06-02, 09:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's "crudity"?
Old 03-06-02, 09:29 AM

Now who went and voted yes to the poll? I wouldn't want to be near that person after he/she has played video games!
Old 03-06-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Go here:

http://www.seanbaby.com/news/col-lawsuit.htm

for a very funny take on this lawsuite.
Old 03-06-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
games don't cause kids to be violent towards others
not teaching them responsibility, and to face the consequences of their actions does, along with general human nature
I used to play Doom after work at pizza hut to calm down.
it made me less violent, not more
Old 03-06-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Goblincat
Oh the cruelty!! how dare you post pictures of the evil bringer of carnage and death! Ugh! its making me want to be violent and destroy things!!!

Yeah I saw this on TV last night and it renewed a little bit of my faith in the legal system. Watching a violent movie or playing a game aren't behaviors that are contingent on aggressive reinforcers (not behaviors at all actually, well gaming might be but watching isn't), but its probably because they don't have a learned history that promotes responsiblity around other people (meaning they haven't been taught how to act nicely previously by other people, parents, schoolmates, punks in the street. Not because they are lower or have some social disorder), instead they've probably been reinforced in the past by escaping difficult tasks with agressive behavior which increased the frequency of those responses. Just my take on it .