Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your opinion on force feedback (rumble) in controllers.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-02, 04:42 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the rumble pack first came out on the N64 with Star Fox 64, I thought it was awesome. Now I just realized that I really don't even notice it any more. I never turn it off, but I really don't think it adds anything to the game. Having a vibrating piece of plastic in my hands doesn't help immerse me in the game. I just don't get the point. I mean force feedback is great for steering wheels, seats in arcade machines, etc., but when it's just a standard controller that vibrates it just doesn't seem to add anything to the gameplay.
Old 03-03-02, 05:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I enjoy it, although like you the novelty has somewhat worn off. I think it's best for attacks from behind and other off-screen events. Still, I like the feature enough that I won't be buying a Wavebird simply because they won't rumble.
Old 03-03-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its annoying and find myself turning it off on all games before they start
Old 03-03-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't even notice it most of the time. I wouldn't care if it wasn't there at all.
Old 03-03-02, 05:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's a lot more noticeable on my Xbox controller than my GCN controller, and thus effective, especially for scary moments in Halo.
Old 03-03-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My favorite use of rumble is in Metal Gear solid 1/2, when the enemy spots you the controller makes a really quick jump! The first time that happened I actually got scared and jumped up with the combination of the sound, exclamation mark, and rumble, it was pretty cool. Also on Zelda: OoT the controller would rumble faintly when you approach a hidden item, and more violently when you get closer. Those kind of uses are nice touches.

But yeah the novelty has worn off, too much rumble on games though and its really annoying and I just turn it off. A good balance is needed, but I think most times it adds more than takes away, depending on the type of game. Perhaps the next step is coming soon (true force feedback?).
Old 03-03-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the rumbling in most cases, Xbox and Sports games it works really good I think.
Old 03-04-02, 12:40 AM

I'm so used to it now that I notice when something big is moving on screen (e.g. large monster, like a golem, walking) and the controller doesn't vibrate. Or the vibration doesn't match the on screen action, in timing or ferocity.
Old 03-04-02, 11:06 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
It's a lot more noticeable on my Xbox controller than my GCN controller, and thus effective, especially for scary moments in Halo.
No doubt. With the size of those controllers they probably have Cessna engines in them.
Old 03-04-02, 12:24 PM

Funny that this would come up now. Just this weekend I turned off the rumble for SSB:M. It goes off for about five seconds when you win the match. It just got to be annoying.

Despite that, I'm not over the novelty. When it's well used I really think it adds something to the experience.
Old 03-04-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by happypants
I'm so used to it now that I notice when something big is moving on screen (e.g. large monster, like a golem, walking) and the controller doesn't vibrate. Or the vibration doesn't match the on screen action, in timing or ferocity.
Yup. When done right, I think it really adds to the experience. When done poorly, it's worse than none at all (other than for novelty's sake).
Old 03-04-02, 12:39 PM

I was going to edit my last post, but since einTier already replied...

I was just reminded of a great use of rumble by another thread. In Extreme G-3 (GCN) the rumble 'revs up' when you charge up the railgun. Feels very cool.
Old 03-04-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That sounds pretty cool on extreme G i'll have to check it out. I just remembered another really nice use of the rumble feature.

Metal Gear Solid, when you finally get to Psycho Mantis. He reads your mind and does other tricks to prove his psychic powers (for some reason he knew I played Azure dreams and Castlevana!). But the funniest was when he wants to move the PSX controller with his mind. "Put it down on a flat surface.....yes......right there........now watch my powers!!!"

Sure enough the controller started vibrating like crazy and moved all the way across the surface I put under it, really nifty!
Old 03-04-02, 02:00 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Outlaw

Metal Gear Solid, when you finally get to Psycho Mantis. He reads your mind and does other tricks to prove his psychic powers (for some reason he knew I played Azure dreams and Castlevana!).

It just checked the save games on the memory card you were using.
Old 03-04-02, 04:47 PM

I like how vibration is incorporated into Rez, the controller vibrates with the beat.

If you buy the Japanese release of Rez, there is a special edition which comes with an extra vibration pack you stick in your pocket (or... erm... other places ) to really feel the beat. I guess this was offered for those who play the game with headphones or don't have a loud sound system.
Old 03-04-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PS2 controller vibrates with the beat in Frequency as well. I find it helps a lot with keeping the rhythm. Nice touch.