Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Console to computer monitor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Console to computer monitor

I know this has been discussed before but the search didn't help me find much of anything.

My job has me sitting on my a$$ doing nothing for 7 outa 8 hours a day (Electrical Troubleshooter) at the plant and with that much time on my hands, I should be playing video games.

What products are out their to let me hook up the console of my choice to my PC monitor at work. What has worked for you guys the best? Any links would be appreciated.

Also can I hook up the new PS1 5" LCD monitor to any console? It's not what I'm actually looking at buying, but just thought I'd ask if it's my only choice.
Old 02-28-02, 11:46 PM

You just need to get yourself a VGA adapter, some even come with a pass through so you can have the computer hooked up at the same time (saves time insted of pluging and unpluging cables every time you want to play).
Old 03-01-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BigJohnStud is a great nick
i should be george the animal steele

Old 03-01-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Games at work, huh?

In my employement at my current location I've found the time to play most of the SNES RPG's available and several NES games. I've also used ePSXe to play a few Playstation games on my computer.

Hopefully, I won't be able to get away with this at my new job.
Old 03-01-02, 01:20 PM

I'm not restricted on still having to use my computer with the system plugged into the monitor. In other words I can unhook the monitor from the tower and just hook the console into the monitor since I don't spend all of my time on the computer.

Where can I find one of these converters? And will the converter allow me to play all of my consoles, depending on which one I decide to take to work?

I currently have: Xbox, PS1, N64, Dreamcast.
Old 03-01-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by WOWZY
I'm not restricted on still having to use my computer with the system plugged into the monitor. In other words I can unhook the monitor from the tower and just hook the console into the monitor since I don't spend all of my time on the computer.

Where can I find one of these converters? And will the converter allow me to play all of my consoles, depending on which one I decide to take to work?

I currently have: Xbox, PS1, N64, Dreamcast.
I think that may be a problem. Most of the VGA cables I've seen are specific to one console. There may be some sort of switch box that will switch between the systems and ouput a VGA signal. Even then you would need to wire sound up somehow.

Unless there is a composite-to-VGA cable available. That will open up your options somewhat, but I've never seen one.
Old 03-01-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you could install a tv card or video capture in the computer, that would allow any system with audio video hookups to be used. There may also be some USB video capture devices that would work. I have a Hauppauge WinTv card with video capture, and I just play my Dreamcast through that (in the TV window, or full-screen.)
Old 03-01-02, 10:33 PM

I noticed a product called "JAM" and it had composite inputs with a VGA output (some sort of converter box) and the site was kinda old but it said a N64 and Playstation could be used, so I guess anything with composite cables would play. My audio is gonna be no problem since there is a Aiwa Mini-shelf system on the shelf above the desk.

Anyone used the Jam box or a similar product?

Littlefuzzy, that Hauppage card sounds great if I could leave it in there, but there's a chance of it being detected by the Admin and or getting gone if the other shifts have a breakdown and the tower gets sent off.