Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Games: Lower Priced Greatest Hits Coming Soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 Games: Lower Priced Greatest Hits Coming Soon

Longtime lurker, delurking:

From MSNBC:

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT America said it would begin offering a “Greatest Hits” series, covering both its own titles and those published by third parties, for $24.99.
Some analysts and third-party game publishers expect Sony to announce a more sweeping round of price cuts on its regular-issue games and its $299 PlayStation 2 console in May at the industry’s annual Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles.
To be eligible for the discounted pricing, games must be at least nine months old and have sold at least 400,000 copies, Sony said.
The first four titles in the series are all Sony properties: “ATV Offroad Fury,” “Twisted Metal: Black,” “Dark Cloud” and “Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec.”
“Gran Turismo” was the sixth-best-selling game in the U.S. in 2001, according to market research firm NPD. Sony said the four titles together have sold more than 2.8 million copies.
The publisher previously launched a similar program for its PlayStation One console.
All three games currently retail for $49.99, the standard price for top games for consoles like the PS2, Nintendo Co. Ltd.’s GameCube and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox.
Advertisement

The Xbox and GameCube were both launched in mid-November. The PS2 was launched in November 2000, and has sold more than 8 million units to date, making it the market leader.

© 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Old 02-26-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awsome news

Since I just bought my PS2 all those games are new to me. GT3 and Twisted Metal Black will be coming home to me soon.
Old 02-26-02, 07:04 PM

Yeah, this should be good. I think I am going to finally pick up Gran Turismo. $49.00 Is ALOT of money to spend, when SO MANY great games are coming out. Speaking as an adult gamer, who has had every system aside from Vetrex and CD I, I can honestly say that I can't afford everything that comes out. Buying games at MSRP 24.95 (probably 19.99) makes the return on investment, especially with these great games, even better. Other PS2 candidates could be MGS2, Maximo, Ace Combat4, Silent Hill 2, etc... Let's hope that Nintendo and Microsoft follow suit in 2003
Old 02-26-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great I can pick up Dark Cloud now.
Old 02-26-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Great news. I've played some of those, but haven't bought them yet.
Old 02-26-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great news. It'll be perfect for people just getting into the PS2 market... and would go great with a hardware price cut.

And welcome to the forum KissyFurNYC...
Old 02-26-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
when is this price change supposed to hit stores?
Old 02-26-02, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by KissyFurNYC
Other PS2 candidates could be MGS2, Maximo, Ace Combat4, Silent Hill 2, etc... Let's hope that Nintendo and Microsoft follow suit in 2003
Maximo just came out so it'll be awhile til it the price drops..and besides that game isnt really all that, i have it, it got pretty dull after a while...
Old 02-26-02, 09:31 PM
Shawn

Does anyone think Microsoft will do this anytime soon? I hope so. I know they make their money on software but when Sony slashes the prices on their games, more people will buy them at $25 rather than an xbox game at $50(just my opinion). Does anyone disagree? Sorry if this was a stupid post but I wanted to find out whether or not Microsoft will do this.

- Shawn
Old 02-26-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

at Target yesterday I saw Ridge Racer V and QB Club 2002 for $19.99 each and Silent Hill 2 for $29.99. And the summer jam 2001 demo clearanced for $3.40.
Old 02-26-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is probably a good move for Sony. Their main strength right now is the library of good titles for the PS2. All the games they mentioned have already made most of all the money they're likely to make in their lifetime. Cutting the price on those titles will generate a few more sales, but more importantly for Sony, it gives new console buyers more motivation to buy a PS2 since they can get a bunch of great games at a much lower cost than if they were to buy XBox and GC. It basically improves the perceived value of the PS2 without having to cut the price of the console itself.

The only potential drawback is if consumers start to factor in the price cut in their decision making. Maybe if a hot title comes out, they decide they'll just wait 9 months and buy it at half price. But I'm guessing Sony won't do this for every hot title. Maybe titles like GTA3 and/or FFX won't be getting discounted. That way, there's always a bit of uncertainty in the mind of the consumer that even if he waits, he still may not get it at the lower price.
Old 02-26-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, as i do not have any time to play games anymore, i'd wait 9 months easy... i didn't even know that dark cloud was a decent rpg.

$50/game is too steep for me 'cause i'm cheep cheep
Old 02-26-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice, I' almost done with FF X and I've been thinking about picking up Dark Cloud. Twisted Metal Black for 20 bucks would be a must buy for me too.
Old 02-27-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good info! I'm all for good, cheap games. Now if only GTA3 would be price-dropped....
Old 02-27-02, 01:24 AM

hey victant

I guess you missed out on GTA3 for 29.99 at Fry's Socal Grand Opening Sale. I'm not even exactly sure how Fry's was able to sell it at that price. Oh well, that was just 20 dollars more to spend on beer for me!
Old 02-27-02, 04:52 AM

Grrrrr. I already have these titles. That's OK, I got them each for $33.33 or less by various methods. GT3 and DC are still shrink-wrapped, as a matter o' fact (had 'em since November).

Still, this is great news. These first four titles that were announced are published by Sony. That means we can look forward to other Sony published games such as Ico (I already own this one, too--still shrink-wrapped), Jak & Daxter, and Hot Shots Golf 3 to be hitting the Greatest Hits series on the quick at their nine month marks.

BTW, SCEE is doing the same thing (Europe):

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/354/354037p1.html

"Greatest Hits Comes to Europe

Europe announces a new greatest hits collection for the PlayStation 2.

February 19, 2002 - Today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced it will release a new collection of "Platinum" greatest hits games for PlayStation 2. Like the PlayStation, this collection will feature the most popular titles in the PlayStation 2 library.

The nine games that were chosen for this honor, four from SCEE and five from third-party publishers will be, Gran Turismo 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, Formula 1 2001, Dead or Alive 2, TimeSplitters, Oni, Crazy Taxi, Red Faction, and Starwars: Starfighter. Each game will feature a slashed price and will debut from March 1, 2002.

Commenting of the launch of Platinum, SCEE's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, David Reeves said, "The original Platinum collection was hugely successful, with over 50 million Platinum titles sold for PS one.""

Last edited by bmarquardt; 02-27-02 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-27-02, 10:16 AM

I still don't understand people who buy games and dvds and leave them shrinkwrapped for months at a time. Kind of like buying a plane ticket and never taking the trip.
Old 02-27-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they are still shrinkwrapped I think I'd be taking them back somewhere for credit before the Greatest Hits series emerges ... then buy them again plus more
Old 02-27-02, 12:26 PM

Greatest Hits to be introduced April 1 through retail outlets nationwide

http://www.scea.com/news/press_examp...ReleaseID=9689

Following the lead of its market driving "Greatest Hits" collection on the original PlayStation, the company expects this new initiative to significantly contribute to category growth and overall software sales when it is introduced April 1 through retail outlets nationwide.
We now have a start date for The Greatest Hits program. Other interesting press release notes are:
In addition to the four inaugural titles from Sony Computer Entertainment America, the company and its numerous publishing partners are planning additional "Greatest Hits" releases throughout the course of the year. Each title selected for "Greatest Hits" status must reach the pre-defined criteria and will be included at the discretion of the individual publisher. Pricing may vary per manufacturer.
Old 02-27-02, 12:29 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Wal-mart the other day and they already have several older games for $29.99. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is Silent Hill 2, as I didn't look all that closely as I don't have a PS2 yet.
Old 02-27-02, 12:42 PM

Overly shrink-wrapped

ufgatorinla wrote: I still don't understand people who buy games and dvds and leave them shrinkwrapped for months at a time. Kind of like buying a plane ticket and never taking the trip.
(shrug) It happens. Between the current TV season, renting 15-20 DVDs a month through Netflix, owning an Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, GBA, and N64, luxury time can get spread thin pretty quick. It does't help that Amazon.com let me buy twenty PS2 games for $16.45 a piece, too.

sniper308 wrote: If they are still shrinkwrapped I think I'd be taking them back somewhere for credit before the Greatest Hits series emerges ... then buy them again plus more
Shhhh, don't tell.