Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 02:02 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woman sues Nintendo for death of son

Woman sues Nintendo for death of son

Associated Press

Published Feb 24, 2002
BATON ROUGE, LA. A Louisiana woman is suing Nintendo, alleging her 30-year-old son suffered seizures after playing video games for eight hours a day, six days a week.

The lawsuit filed in federal court says the man died last year after hitting his head and mouth on a table during one of the seizures. It claims the man never had seizures before buying a Nintendo-64 player in 1999.

His mother is seeking unspecified damages for her own medical and funeral expenses, for mental and emotional anguish, and for her son's lost future earnings.

A spokesman for Nintendo is declining comment on the lawsuit. In court records, the company denies any wrongdoing.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/1646478.html

Ok really, how much could his future earnings really be? He was playing video games 48 hours a week. She might get the funeral and medical expenses in a settlement, but this will never hold up in court.

Nintendo warns people about this type of thing in the precaution manuel.

Last edited by Flay; 02-24-02 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-24-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is why Nintendo puts all those silly guidelines in the owner's manual. Their ass is covered and this retard isn't getting anything.
Old 02-24-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will also be suing Nintendo. Had I never bought a Gamecube, which I play fourteen hours a day, I would have been out working and making money. I am suing Nintendo for the $6 an hour I am not making due to my "addiction" and related seizures. I will also sue for my medical expenses (I hit my head on the table whenever I miss yet another gold metal on Star Wars Rogue Leader).

I will let you all know how this turns out so you can all sue Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft and Sega, as well as all the individual game studios.
Old 02-24-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unreal!!!
Old 02-24-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also heard violent video games make you more violent too!
Old 02-24-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Outlaw
I also heard violent video games make you more violent too!

Well...I am back playing GTA3 for the third time since I purchased it.....and if what you are saying is true....look out society!!!
Old 02-24-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo says to turn off your system after some time of playing. this tard didn't. screw that. they wont be seeing any dough. stupid law suits
Old 02-24-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Give me a break...this is why I hate people haha
Old 02-24-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that warning is on page one of the every manual. F**k this lady. She is the reason the legal system is such a joke in the US.
Old 02-24-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
This is why Nintendo puts all those silly guidelines in the owner's manual. Their ass is covered and this retard isn't getting anything.
Exactly! There are warnings all over the manuals now about this exact thing. She would be better off to sue the manufacturer of the table for making the table to hard.
Old 02-24-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*shakes head* dumb.
Old 02-24-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I call it "Thinning out the herd". Her "30" year old son played games for 8 hrs. a day? Didn't he have a job? What a world.
Old 02-24-02, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Trout
I call it "Thinning out the herd". Her "30" year old son played games for 8 hrs. a day? Didn't he have a job? What a world.
Best quote ever!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude that's going to be my new signature!

Nintendo was doing mankind a favor

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 02-24-02 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-24-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His mother is seeking unspecified damages for her own medical and funeral expenses, for mental and emotional anguish, and for her son's lost future earnings.
What the hell kind of future earnings was he going to make playing Nintendo 48 hours a week?
Old 02-24-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Cornfed

What the hell kind of future earnings was he going to make playing Nintendo 48 hours a week?
Old 02-24-02, 06:22 PM

I would say if this was something that only happenned once that she might be entitled to some damages, but the fact is it was not a one time occurence, the guy was playing non stop and knew he had problems with seizures. I doubt she sees dime one unless nintendo decides they don't want the bad press and settles out of court. The whole idea of suing over a video game is idiotic, go check out this link for another great video game lawsuit:
http://www.seanbaby.com/news/col-lawsuit.htm

This is a thorny legal issue, I think we'll have to refer back to the case of finders versus keepers.
Old 02-24-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've gotta agree that 8 hours a day, 6 days a week sounds so excessive that, even if they could medically attribute the seizure to the Nintendo, his use would probably not be considered the normal or intended use of a Nintendo system. Also, I'm sure Nintendo could find a lot of doctors who would attribute his seizure to a pre-existing condition.

If, however, the man's use of the system was not as excessive or unusual as the story indicates, and the medical connection is sturdy, then they may have a case. It can be extremely difficult to judge the merits of a case without reading the actual complaint.

8 hours a day over a period of several years would be unusual, but that amount of play sustained over a period of only a few weeks might not be excessive enough to exempt Nintendo from liability.
Old 02-24-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You gotta read the owner's manual. There's lots of precautions you're supposed to take and I doubt this guy followed any of them.
Old 02-24-02, 08:26 PM

well heres how it should go down,
NINTENDOS LAWERS: um judge turn to page 1 of the operating manual and read this to the plaintiffs because it apparent they can't.

JUDGE TO PLAINTIFFS: case dismissed due to your stupidity, oh and heres a dollar, go get yourself a cup of coffee at Mcdonald's and spill it on your lap, (Wink, Wink!) go with what works.

and they should lock her up for probably caging her son in his room.
Old 02-24-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If, however, the man's use of the system was not as excessive or unusual as the story indicates, and the medical connection is sturdy, then they may have a case. It can be extremely difficult to judge the merits of a case without reading the actual complaint.
It's well known that video games of any kind can bring on a seizure in people prone to have them ... I think they'd have a hard time saying Nintendo, specifically was more negligent than any other video game maker, publisher, etc, with all the warnings they publish. I think he more than definitely assumed the risk with the amount he played ... I agree just thinning the herd ... sounds like the mother should have been playing 2 player with him, then we'd be rid of both of them ... I wonder if he was arthritic before he fell over?
Old 02-24-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I wonder if he was playing Golden Eye or Perfect Dark?
Old 02-24-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by psxfan2
well heres how it should go down,
NINTENDOS LAWERS: um judge turn to page 1 of the operating manual and read this to the plaintiffs because it apparent they can't.

JUDGE TO PLAINTIFFS: case dismissed due to your stupidity, oh and heres a dollar, go get yourself a cup of coffee at Mcdonald's and spill it on your lap, (Wink, Wink!) go with what works.

and they should lock her up for probably caging her son in his room.
Well, a company can't necessarily absolve themselves of liability for a dangerous product by slapping a warning label on it.

In this case, though, I don't think Nintendo will be held liable because this guy's use was way outside the norm.

Also, they have a hard case to prove, to pin the blame on Nintendo. If he had never had a seizure before, and had been playing like that consistantly for years, then Nintendo would have a pretty solid argument that the seizure was not caused by the game. If he had had seizures before, then why didn't he stop using the game, and see his doctor as is instructed?
Old 02-24-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nintendo should win this case, no contest.
Old 02-25-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
nintendo should counter sue her
Old 02-25-02, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by mikehunt
nintendo should counter sue her
or ask her to play nintendo for 8+ hours a day

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.