Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-24-02, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your thoughts with this game? I just picked it up from a friend (a backup copy since it is impossible to get it any other way) and have started Disc one. So far, so good to me. I was just wondering if there was anything to look forward to and also if the backup version lacks anything the original does.

I just finished my first day of moving crates with that guy...hopefully it gets better from there.
Old 02-24-02, 12:59 PM

Re: Your thoughts on Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

Originally posted by Mike_AA
What are your thoughts with this game? I just picked it up from a friend (a backup copy since it is impossible to get it any other way) and have started Disc one. So far, so good to me. I was just wondering if there was anything to look forward to and also if the backup version lacks anything the original does.

I just finished my first day of moving crates with that guy...hopefully it gets better from there.
You can also make cash at the Lucky Hit stands, gambling, or selling toys from your collection.

Make good use of the "save anywhere" feature, so you don't end up redoing large sections, or having to watch the same movies over and over.

It definitely gets better, especially on disc 3. I don't think you need to spend time practicing moves, as I never did and was able to finish the game.

I thought the ending (disc 4) was a letdown compared to how Shenmue 1 ended. Although... it may have been this way because of all the stuff you do on disc 3.
Old 02-24-02, 02:27 PM

Re: Re: Your thoughts on Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

Originally posted by happypants

I thought the ending (disc 4) was a letdown compared to how Shenmue 1 ended. Although... it may have been this way because of all the stuff you do on disc 3.
i thought the ending to Shenmue sucked bad. The ending to Shenmue 2 must be horrible.
Old 02-24-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah its pretty good, but shenmue is a niche type of game thats either hit or miss with most people, I enjoyed it. The story starts to really pick up after awhile especially on Disc 2 and 3. And shenmue 1 didn't have an ending because it wasn't the end of the story, it leads right into the next game. Shenmue II also leads into the next game but it answers some questions and is a little longer (the entire disc 4). I read that the backup version removed pretty much all the voices in the game, a number of music tracks, and a few other things. The voicework is incredibly well done and you'd be missing out on a lot to play through without it.
Old 02-24-02, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
Yeah its pretty good, but shenmue is a niche type of game thats either hit or miss with most people, I enjoyed it. The story starts to really pick up after awhile especially on Disc 2 and 3. And shenmue 1 didn't have an ending because it wasn't the end of the story, it leads right into the next game. Shenmue II also leads into the next game but it answers some questions and is a little longer (the entire disc 4). I read that the backup version removed pretty much all the voices in the game, a number of music tracks, and a few other things. The voicework is incredibly well done and you'd be missing out on a lot to play through without it.
But isn't the voicework in Japanese?
Old 02-24-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by dvdaddict17

But isn't the voicework in Japanese?
Yeah, I thought Shenmue 2 only had subtitles. I didn't really like the first one, so I didn't import number 2. The local store has it, Rez, and Headhunter from Europe.
Old 02-24-02, 04:03 PM

Off topic, but Rez is definitely worth picking up as an import.
Old 02-24-02, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by darkside

Yeah, I thought Shenmue 2 only had subtitles. I didn't really like the first one, so I didn't import number 2. The local store has it, Rez, and Headhunter from Europe.
Shenmue 2 has audio in Japanese with English subtitles. You can turn the subtitles on or off.
Old 02-25-02, 07:00 AM

Shenmue 2 is great IMO. but as someone mention before its really a niche title. if you like that first you like the second if you didnt like the first... you get the idea. disc 1 is kinda boring. and the crate thing, i stopped doing that after day 1. (even though apparently if you do it long enough the head guy teaches you a move) i made the most money on gambling. so i stop workin. disc 2 (twds the end) is where things start to get a little more interesting.
Old 02-25-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Your thoughts on Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

Originally posted by Mike_AA
What are your thoughts with this game? I just picked it up from a friend (a backup copy since it is impossible to get it any other way) and have started Disc one.
It's not impossible to find it. There was a legitimate version in my local Software, Etc. for a couple months before it was purchased (or stolen). Somehow I doubt you went to too much effort to get a real version of the game...
Old 02-25-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
I really loved this game.

Although I didn't really care too much for the first one, Shenmue 2 was above and beyond it, so much so that It was the perfect final game to play on my Dreamcast.

I'm not sure what it was, but Shenmue 2 drew me in a lot more than the first one and was just more fun too.

I think I'll play it again.
Old 02-26-02, 06:54 AM

Re: Re: Your thoughts on Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls

It's not impossible to find it.
true its also at most online import haunts
www.ncsx.com
www.toysnjoys.com
www.therage.com
Old 02-26-02, 07:08 PM
Banned

Ok, thanks for the links...I'll check those out, hopefully they'll have some copies.
Old 02-26-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My local funcoland had it for about $60 with boot disc. If you have a funcoland try there ...
Old 02-28-02, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by sniper308
My local funcoland had it for about $60 with boot disc. If you have a funcoland try there ...
Funcoland here are cheap idiots. They aren't bringing in Shenmue 2 PAL at all because it isn't US...bah!. I have had Shenmue 2 for months and in my opinion far surpasses the gameplay and depth of Shenmue 1. I am currently on disk 4 of the game and will prolly beat it in about 3 or 4 hours if that from lookin at my walkthrough. Yes a walkthrough because the one I have isn't the subbed PAL version. Try the Japanese version for a real challenge...gah. Oh yeah and in my opinion disk 3 was the best disk out of all 4 so far because of all the fighting and things you had to actually do in the game. The ending fight with Shugento was a pain in the butt though but the Gamer came out on top. Gamer signing off.