Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil Plot questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Resident Evil Plot questions

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I am really only interested in the plots of the RE series. I find them interesting and very similar to the "Living Dead" trilogies of George A. Romero, in fact, some have said that the first one is allegedly a sequel to one of those films. I have no desire to see the crappy film with Milla Jovovich, so I wan wondering if you could give me any explanations or links to plot summaries for the games. Thanks!
Old 02-21-02, 10:16 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a novel out for each of the games. I haven't read them, but my friend who's a huge RE fan loves them. He says they're basically just more descriptive versions of the game's plots. I've seen them at Waldenbooks and I'm sure you could get them online at Amazon or Barnes and Nobles.
Old 02-21-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a long time since I have played the series, but the plot to the videogame goes something like this.....

SPOILER

Spoiler:
You are part of an elite squad of police officers called STAR. You and a team are sent to some mansion in the outskirts of Racoon City to find out the causes to some strange occurences. During your investigation you come across these monsters (most are zombies) and ultimately discover that they were the result of an experiment performed by a company named Umbrella. Their quest to develop a super, bio-weapon came in the form of a virus used to infect potential subjects who would then turn into this creature with incredible strength.
After a few years have elapsed, you return to Racoon City as several other characters and do it all over again, basically.

I'm not sure of the last installment, since I haven't played that, but from what I've read, it is less story driven. I'm sure someone can add (or correct ) to what I stated above.
Old 02-21-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the last ones actually have more story.

resident evil 2 was the introduction to claire and leon. they are in a police station and find out more about the virus that created this. very story driven.

Resident evil 3 is jills escape from the city now filled with zombies

Code veronica is claires search for her brother chris redfield.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 02-21-02 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-21-02, 11:39 PM

There is no link to Romero's Dea trilogy. However, Romero did direct the Japanese commericals for Biohazard 2(Resident Evil 2 in the states). He also wrote a script for the RE movie before getting fired by the producers for being too violent(amongst not seeing eye to eye with Romero). Which is ridiculous since his script was closer to the game. A shame.
Old 02-22-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is what Capcom's site says about the game:

In Resident Evil, a secluded mansion in Raccoon City has been the center of top-secret biotech experiments - all funded by a mysterious corporation known only as Umbrella. When contact with the scientists at the mansion is broken and reports of gory attacks come in from areas nearby, two Special Tactics and Rescue Squads (S.T.A.R.S.)
- made up of Bravo and Alpha Teams - are sent in to investigate. Bravo team vanishes almost immediately. Alpha Team is chased into the nearby foreboding mansion by a pack of monstrous creatures. Once inside the adventure of Resident Evil begins.
source:
www.capcom.com

GameSpot also has an article on the history of the Resident Evil series:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/res_evil/
Old 02-22-02, 12:03 PM

Just wanted to add.....

I saw the commercial on TV, yesterday, for the movie. It looked like the videogame.
I haven't played the game in years, and here I was watching this trailer with short clips. I immediately said to myself that this thing looks and sounds like the premise of the videogame Resident Evil.
I was shocked when I finally saw the title at the end of the trailer. I mean, I knew they were making a movie based on this, but I didn't know when.
I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
Old 02-22-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Centurion
Just wanted to add.....

I saw the commercial on TV, yesterday, for the movie. It looked like the videogame.
I haven't played the game in years, and here I was watching this trailer with short clips. I immediately said to myself that this thing looks and sounds like the premise of the videogame Resident Evil.
I was shocked when I finally saw the title at the end of the trailer. I mean, I knew they were making a movie based on this, but I didn't know when.
I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

if it was like the game.. it would be survivor horror movie. not action. the dogs look crappy.. the movie looks crappy.. don't get me started on the red queen further comments are in movie forum.
Old 02-22-02, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
if it was like the game.. it would be survivor horror movie. not action. the dogs look crappy.. the movie looks crappy.. don't get me started on the red queen further comments are in movie forum.
Oh, OK.
Basically, all I was saying was that I was able to guess what the movie was before they mentioned the title, but whatever.
Old 02-22-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hoping it's a case of bad trailer to a good movie. The trailer sucked. Techno music in a RE movie? However, this shot from the trailer...very nice!
Old 02-23-02, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Resident Evil Plot questions

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I have no desire to see the crappy film with Milla Jovovich...
You know it's crappy without even seeing it? Have you been talking with Miss Cleo? The trailer looks kick ass to me. Video Game movies are just slightly better than movies based on superheros IMO. This one has Milla in it, so I'm certainly going to be there. I'll reserve judgement until I see it. If I think a movie is going to be crappy based on the trailer, I say "sounds like it will suck"... but I don't think it's fair to say anything is terrible or crappy or sucky if you haven't even seen it. If you've played the first game, you already know that the voice acting was so terrible that it's funny... "what is it?..." "it's blood..." So if the film has cheesy dialogue in it, blame the source material. I mean if you hand me lemons, I can only make lemonade... I can't make Mountain Dew. I'm thinking the movie will be better than the game but without the interactive experience... I doubt it will win any academy awards, but if you're expecting a video game based movie to be the next Apocalypse Now you need to reconfigure your expectations.
Old 02-23-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Centurion
Oh, OK.
Basically, all I was saying was that I was able to guess what the movie was before they mentioned the title, but whatever.

maybe because the shout Umberllia and give you a general idea of what the RE story is.. but when looking at the trailer, they focus more on the dogs then they do the zombies.... I thought that was a more central idea of it.. the human zombies.. and survivor horror.. not heavy metal action.

the movie just seems off to me. and the red queen hey lets play some rolleyes games since we already have some here

<small>as for you trigger.. i think we had enough of a counter view for one night lets save this one for later</small>
Old 02-23-02, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by CreatureX
I'm hoping it's a case of bad trailer to a good movie. The trailer sucked. Techno music in a RE movie? However, this shot from the trailer...very nice!

now thats what I'm talking about. I want it to be cheesy. I don't want it to be crappy. the way they are showing it with the british accent little super computer (why is it I can see pale white kids?) with the evil intent.. just seems to far for me.

I kinda wanted this to be like the first game. its easy to see.. the bullet time kick to the dog is just weak and pointless.