Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

If K-Mart declares bankruptcy, we will we see them slash prices on video game stuff?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

If K-Mart declares bankruptcy, we will we see them slash prices on video game stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they have to sell all their merchandise, would they reduce prices on games and consoles? I have no idea what would happen to K-Mart in the case of bank ruptcy(sp?), but is this a possibility?
Old 01-16-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well first off just because someone declares bankruptcy that does not mean that they close down. They are just filling for bankruptcy chapter 11 protection. Some poor performing stores will close down however but most of the merchandise will be either moved to another store or returned to the vendor. You will see some markdowns on certain items but most will be moved to other stores.
Old 01-16-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
K-mart had a round of store closings locally a few years ago (almost everything not a Super K-mart closed) and they slashed the prices on everything in the store. I picked up a few games at 25% off, but by the time the discounts were better all the good stuff was gone.
Old 01-17-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I doubt you will see huge reductions. first they expect to close from 200-400 stores. remember Wards. stupid people were buying stuff when they were at 20-25% off. they did not realize i guess that those prices were higher than normal ad prices.

also most things they have lower margins on like PS2's would just be moved to other stores.
Old 01-17-02, 12:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

even if they do slash prices, you still can't get them since they're locked up
Old 01-17-02, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
You would have to pay me to go into a K-Mart for any reason... the ones near me are horribly ghetto and everything they sell is dirty and broken and greasy. Ugh - I need a shower - just thinking about being in that store makes me feel icky.

On topic though - when Sears closed a few stores, they slashed prices on a bunch of stuff, but since their prices were already outrageous one could hardly call it a deal.
Old 01-17-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
You would have to pay me to go into a K-Mart for any reason... the ones near me are horribly ghetto and everything they sell is dirty and broken and greasy. Ugh - I need a shower - just thinking about being in that store makes me feel icky.
woah.. that sounds [b]really[b] familiar...
Old 01-17-02, 11:18 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger
There's several K-marts like that here in West Virginia. Fortunately the Super K-mart in my town is really nice. It's really clean, and really big. It even has a grocery store with the best prices in town (since we don't have Super Wal-mart.)
Old 01-17-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

K-Mart can't go out of business?! Where am I gonna get my 10 dollar wardrobe and my 7 dollar shoes from?!? (joke!)

lol! Now that you mention it, we've got a Target around here thats also in the ghetto and I don't like going there either. Thankfully there are 3 Target's where I live so I can choose. On the topic of K-Mart, I used to shun K-Mart when I was in high school because everyone would make fun of it and they said it was ghetto, cheap. Of course their entire wardrobe consisted of Abercrombie so its not like they were any better . I recently rediscovered K-Mart, they have some pretty good deals there and the one near me is pretty clean and nice. Not that I go there all the time, but I got my GBA and super mario advance there for $89 and $20 when it was released. Sometimes it pays to shop around .
Old 01-19-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to work at a K-Mart...only because a bunch of friends and I needed some money. Plus there was this fine ass girl that worked in the pharmacy...23...and married, but she told us it wasn't a happy marriage.
Back on topic:
the store was very nice...and it was the easiest job I ever had. It was gravy. Just did customer service...and "Front face and straighten." That was it. I usually wore no name tag or vest so no one bothered me, really.

It was clean, but there are around 10 around me so some of them are ghetto especially the one near "Jesse Jackson Townhomes" No joke...an actual place...

Here's hoping if some do go out of business, they will be around me and have huge sales....