Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-14-02, 02:07 PM   #1
huh?
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the Blockbuster Game Rental Pass Worth It?

Does anyone use it? If so, how does it work and is it worth it?
Old 01-14-02, 02:19 PM   #2
Canis Firebrand
Video Game Talk Reviewer

They offered it to me when I walked up and rented 2 games at once.

I personally don't think its a good deal. You get 1 day for each game, and if you don't use a day, you lose it. And late fees still apply.
I like to play a game for the whole 5 day rentals. Sure, it might end up costing me more in the long run. But I usually rent 1 or 2 games. then go a couple weeks with no rentals.
Old 01-14-02, 03:24 PM   #3
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Wait a minute, you mean that if you rent ONE game and keep it for longer than one day, it counts as overdue? That can't be right....can it?

Even if that isn't the case, it's still a lame deal unless you plan to rent games very frequently and have a solid month to waste. You could rent one game every weekend (for five days each) over the course of a month and still come out ahead of this deal (and that's with BB's insanely high price of $5.99. I never understood how they justified charging $1 more for PS2 rentals over N64 rentals when the games are the same price). BB is such a rip-off, it's not even funny.

If you want a good deal there, however, you can get a pre-played Jak & Daxter for $22 now (w/ 25% off sale on). As the game is only 3-4 weeks old, you can be sure it wasn't rented very much.
Old 01-14-02, 06:07 PM   #4
Soybean

Hmm... I had heard that each rental is standard 5-day rental. I need to look into this a bit more.
Old 01-14-02, 06:29 PM   #5
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

I can't find anywhere on the website where it says the length of your rental, but I would imagine they assume it is implied.

I do, however, like how they don't call them late fees. Instead they call them "extended viewing fees".
Old 01-14-02, 06:47 PM   #6
Josh H
Retired

I did the DVD pass thing last summer and it was well worth it. $19.99 for 30 DVD's in the 30 Days. You could only keep the dvd one day and if you didn't rent one on a given day you lost that rental. I believe I rented and watched 26 DVD's so it was a good deal considering 26 x $4.23 (standard price plus tax) is $109.98.

However, if the deal is the same for games, meaning that you only get to keep them for one day, then I don't think it would be worth it. Plus there's probably not all that many games you want to rent in one month. More likely just a handful that you'd like to rent for several days.
Old 01-14-02, 06:55 PM   #7
Soybean

Can you bring the game in and rent it again? It sucks that you'd have to go back to BB every single day to renew your rental, but maybe then it'd be worth it.
Old 01-14-02, 07:02 PM   #8
Josh H
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Soybean
Can you bring the game in and rent it again? It sucks that you'd have to go back to BB every single day to renew your rental, but maybe then it'd be worth it.
You could do that with the DVD pass I had last summer. I imagine the video game pass is the same.
Old 01-15-02, 07:36 PM   #9
Swanny

I started using the card at the end of December. It's definitely a good way to try a bunch of different games to determine if you want to buy them. Each day you get a standard five-day rental. You can re-rent a game, but you must bring it in to do so. I'd say it definitely has been worth it if you don't mind stopping by there almost every day. But I also have two boys who play it every day.
Old 01-16-02, 05:28 PM   #10
Soybean

Haha! 5 day rental, eh? I'm there.
Old 01-16-02, 06:15 PM   #11
mljones99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when I did the 19.99 30 day 30 dvd deal I could keep the dvds 3 or 5 days depending on if it was a new release or not. Never heard of it being just a one day thing. and I never got charged an "extended viewing fee"