Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you think about the Tanner mission? (GTA3)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was very tacky. For those that missed the joke or haven't played Grand Theft Auto 3, there is a mission where you have to kill an undercover cop who is driving for the mob named Tanner. They call him a poorly animated cop and his car is identical to the 70's car from Driver. It's their stab at Driver and I think its rather pathetic. The only reason Grand Theft Auto 3 is any good is because they expanded on the Driver idea and dumped the crappy 2-D topview look GTA had on the Playstation.

They should be thankful for a game like Driver that paved the way to Grand Theft Auto 3 instead of taking cheap shots at it.
Old 12-31-01, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well I remember when Driver was coming out for the PC people were saying how it was just GTA from a 3D perspective. Who ripped off who? I don't know. I think they are very different games. I don't really think of it as a cheap shot so much as light hearted ribbing. I'm sure the developers of Driver got a kick out of it...

Maybe they will make another Driver game and there will be a pot shot at some character from GTA and it will go back and forth like LL. Cool J and Kool Moe Dee.
Old 12-31-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was just their way of boasting that GTA3 is the Driver killer. And they're right. If the next Driver game doesn't significantly add to the formula, then it will be a lot less of a game than GTA3.
Old 12-31-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not too sure about the release dates of the original GTA and the original Driver, but I think that GTA came out first. Whether it did or not is beside the point -- I'm pretty sure that this "cheap shot" isn't taken to the heart. It's all in good fun.
Old 12-31-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
I'm not too sure about the release dates of the original GTA and the original Driver, but I think that GTA came out first. Whether it did or not is beside the point -- I'm pretty sure that this "cheap shot" isn't taken to the heart. It's all in good fun.
I agree. It's all good fun. And I think that GTA came out before Driver.
Old 12-31-01, 04:17 PM

Sure, and Srek was a tacky film due to all of it's jabs at Disney.
Trust me, no one on the Driver development team is losing any sleep over it....
Old 01-02-02, 09:09 AM

I thought it was yet another hilarious addition to an already hilarious, addicting, and incredible video game. If I were a member of Reflections, I'd still get a hearty chuckle out of it. For me, it's going to be hard to go back to that Driver series formula, as GTA3 delivered everything I felt was missing from the Driver series of games (and I realize the Driver games had their own boundaries, but I felt like "Well, I can do this and this, wouldn't it be awesome if I could also do THIS or THIS!") The Driver series earned big bucks and got a lot of respect, but if one were to start thinking GTA3 is a rip-off of the Driver series...well, I can claim that Driver is a rip-off of Pole Position in some regards.

As a videogamer who has enjoyed both Driver and GTA3, I applaud the snappy playful jab at Driver in GTA3. Too bad more games don't follow suit.
Old 01-02-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully Reflections will try to raise the bar some more with Driver 3, but honestly I can't see any game topping GTA3. I read somewhere that one of the reasons for the jab was Reflections going through all the trouble of trying to make Tanner an undercover cop and hence somewhat politically correct.

I guess any competition is good, so hopefully Reflections will take the bait and put some fun jab at GTA in their next game.
Old 01-02-02, 12:37 PM

The way I heard it (and this could be wrong), I think Reflections originally did want your character to be a thug, but out of political correctness, decided to make you an undercover cop instead. GTA3, on the other hand, basically says to heck with the political correctness, you're a criminal, plain and simple. And I think the very nature of that decision allowed GTA3 so many more options in terms of gameplay.

Still, with all you can do in GTA3, my favorite part is jacking a cop car and doing Vigilante missions. Maybe it's the thrill of the chase, maybe it takes me subconsciously back to my childhood of playing cops and robbers with my friends on our bikes, maybe it's both of those things--but it's still my favorite part of the game.

I too hope that the next iteration of Driver will be something very, very special.
Old 01-02-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Driver 3 has survival mode, I'll be buying it.
Old 01-02-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speaking of this mission, i havn't figured out how to beat it yet! I've tried like ten times. I can't get any damage on tanner cause i'm too busy trying to correct myself after cops whack me into street lights and walls.

Any pointers?
Old 01-02-02, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Speaking of this mission, i havn't figured out how to beat it yet! I've tried like ten times. I can't get any damage on tanner cause i'm too busy trying to correct myself after cops whack me into street lights and walls.

Any pointers?
Like so many of the other missions in this game, there's probably a million and one ways to complete this one, but this is how I did it. I tailed Tanner until he would pass an intersection where I knew he had a little ways to drive until he got to another intersection. In this case, it was the far south/southwestern part of the city if I recall, where Staunton Island kinda has this stretch of road that curves up and around to the main north/south roadway on the far western part of the island. I then floored it, passing Tanner and driving a few blocks up, then stopped, got out, and faced Tanner's direction. I made sure I had grenades already pre-selected. I then started throwing grenades in his direction, the first of which hit home and quickly wasted him.

I remember that I had very little time to get out of my car, turn around, and throw grenades in his direction. Gotta be very accurate with them. But it worked. Like you, I was just getting pounded on by the other cops in trying to take him out with a vehicle. A friend of mine said he was able to broadside Tanner so hard that he flipped him over the side of the island into the water, so that's another option.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got it done thsi morning right after i posted that. He got pinned on the sidewalk by a cop car and a railing and my car started to catch on fire. I jsut bailed and left it pinned against his car. BOOM.