Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which System to Buy this Holiday Season: PS2, XBox or GC?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-16-01, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market to pick up a new system this holiday season, as my N64 is long done and my DC is starting to go to sleep as well. As much as I love my DC and the games, I need to get one of the new three systems...which is why I'd like to here what everyone thinks is the best investment at this time.

I pretty much have my mind made up on a PS2, but of course the launch of the X-Box and the Gamecube doesn't make things any easier. The X-Box seems promising and all (with some crazy features in the box) and the Gamecube will have the great Nintendo games. However, in the long run, I think Sony will get the most support from developers and will feature the best games on the market.

I look at it like the X-Box and PS2 will be loaded with the third-party games, while Nintendo won't have as many, but will have the exclusive titles from Nintendo's first-party team and of course Rare. With the PS2, however, I am guaranteed every EA Sports game and the next Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

So let me know what your feelings are about the "Big 3" out right now, and which one seems to be destined for being th ebest videogame system on the market....oh and am I going crazy, or did I hear the PS3 is coming out in 3 years? That could really tick me off.
Old 11-16-01, 02:26 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PS2 is the one you should go with. I picked one up this past September(May my Dreamcast Rest in Peace). I was beating my head against the wall to decide on which console to get. After much debate I decided on the PS2.

First off, there is not one game in the Xbox's launch line up that I cared one thing about. Halo is the only game that mildly appealed to me. Even if Halo was on the PS2, I probably wouldn't get it.

Secondly, There are so many games that were coming out for the PS2 that I wanted BAD such as: Grand Theft Auto 3, WWF Smackdown: Just Bring it!, Metal Gear Solid 2, ICO, Devil May Cry, Splashdown, and the list goes on and on.

Lastly, The bottom line is that the Playstation 2 will not fail. It has tons of support. Most games that come out will come out for the PS2.

Believe me I am not bad mouthing the XBox or GC, they will be fine systems in time. I may even pick one up a year from now who knows, but right now you cant go wrong with the PS2. I know you are saying "It's not as powerful as the XBox or GC" You're right it isn't, but it has more than enough power and it has the games to support it.

however if you decide not to go with the PS2.... the Xbox would be my second choice. The Gamecube just will not have enough good games coming out for it. Two or Three good games a year is not good enough.

I hope this helps you.

wlj
Old 11-16-01, 02:31 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See this thread for info:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=153453