Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBox availablity

Old 11-13-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBox availablity

The XBox has been out for a few days now, so how difficult/easy is it to get one?
Old 11-13-01, 09:29 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

The XBox isn't out yet. It comes out on the 15th.

So to answer your question, pretty damn difficult.
Old 11-13-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm ok thanks.
I saw ads from ToysRUs saying XBox on sale Nov 8.
Guess it was a mistake.
Old 11-13-01, 09:45 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

The Toys R Us ad was a big mistake. Fell free to call them and check for yourself.
Old 11-13-01, 12:42 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not out until the 15th as Flay said.

It will be pretty difficult to get one, but I don't think it will be as bad as the PS2. MS will probably have a few more systems out, and I don't think the demand is quite as high. 1.) MS is new, Sony had name selling power after the success of PS1. 2.) The Gamecube launch will take away from the demand a little (and vice versa) as most people can't afford two systems.

However, I think the x-box will be harder to find than the GC, at least in my area. All the stores I have asked are getting more GC's than X-Boxes. Wal-mart is the only one that's given me a specific number, which is 60 GC's, 28 X-boxes.
Old 11-13-01, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I wil be at Wal Mart next evening about 10:00 to try my luck. If I don't get one I will live. I think picking up the GC could be as hard with it coming out on a weekend. We shall see. I am getting both.
Old 11-13-01, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Just wait a couple of months, they'll be plenty to go around.

This is surely a "manufactured" shortage on MS's part. They have a very good distribution network, so it seems a bit ingenuous that they'ld have a shortage at the last minute.

First they said 1mil units at launch, then they cut back to 600,000, now half that. Smells fishy to me.

SB already said they have plans to flood the market with these things and try to drive the price down as fast as possible.
Old 11-13-01, 03:27 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Eric F
This is surely a "manufactured" shortage on MS's part. They have a very good distribution network, so it seems a bit ingenuous that they'ld have a shortage at the last minute.

First they said 1mil units at launch, then they cut back to 600,000, now half that. Smells fishy to me.
LOL! Microsoft never said they were cutting the number of units. In fact, they havn't said a word about it. Analysts are throwing out numbers like 300,000 as guesses, but nobody really knows.

Here is a quote from the VP of the XBox division if you want to get an idea of how many they will have. Keep in mind they have been manufactuing these for about 7 weeks now.

GS: So those final numbers, do you have any specifics for us?

EF: I can't really talk about specific launch units, but let me give you a little scoop. I can tell you that we made 27,000 units last Friday alone. That's more than Sony was manufacturing PS2s, in a week, when it first launched. And our facilities are manufacturing units six days a week, so you can do the math.

Link
Old 11-13-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Eric F
SB already said they have plans to flood the market with these things and try to drive the price down as fast as possible.
SB?
Old 11-13-01, 06:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by joltaddict

SB?
Seamus Blackley. The hardcore Xbox promoter. He is like a 40 year old Frat Jock wrapped up in video games.

Anyway, he said they want the price of the Xbox at $199 by the end of next year and $99 by the end of 2003. The guy is freakin nuts.
Old 11-13-01, 06:48 PM

I doubt there will still be any good games to play on the X-Crap by 2003. Not one thing is impressive or unique.
Old 11-13-01, 06:56 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Tigger
I doubt there will still be any good games to play on the X-Crap by 2003. Not one thing is impressive or unique.
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

Macbeth
Old 11-13-01, 07:00 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Flay

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

Macbeth
how appropriate.
Old 11-13-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hope you guys don't get me confused with that guy.
Old 11-13-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course not, your post would have been:

Originally posted by Trigger

I doubt there will still be any good games to play on the LameCube by 2003. Not one thing is impressive or unique.
Old 11-13-01, 10:40 PM

See the funny thing is, I work for a game company. I've seen the potential of the GameCube, PlayStation2 and X-Box first hand. We're working on a game right now that has some potential, however it looks nothing superior to a second generation game on the PS2. Do I think people will buy it.. yeah, but why? Because of hype and marketing. X-Box has, as mentioned in other threads, spent 500 million on marketing, to let everyone know there is a system coming out. Thats how games are sold, in my opinion. Because people either listen to the hype, based on no knowledge of performance and whats coming out, or just will buy it because so many people say it will fail. Games like Devil Dice, Saga Frontier and the Tomb Raider series have sold millions. It is all personal preferrences for liking a game, but because they flooded the market with commericals and hype, it sold a ton. If it comes from Square, it must be good right? ... a CG chick who has huge breasts? Every guy and girl will buy it.. a system has to deliver for it to be successful. Half the games that are coming out for X-Box at launch are ports of the PS2 games, about half of GameCubes are as well. Because I personally believe Halo looks and plays like crap, that yes people will enjoy it along with Munch's Odyssee and a couple of other games. If these are the keys that are convincing gamers to get the system, then fine. However I think in the long run, it won't hold them afloat. And just on sheer first glance, The controller feels and reacts horrible. the system is an oversized paperweight. The thought of possible patches for Console games deters me even more. Microsoft has been playing hardball for months by threatening game stores that if they place any GameCube material up, they will not ship systems and games to those stores. It really comes down to games. E3, I was unimpressed with the lineup of Microsoft. Halo was seriously chuggy, what I've played so far was decent, but again nothing special. Cel Damage was horrible. Simpsons Road Rage was even worse. Project Gotham... MSR for the X-Box with slowdown. The promising one would be Dead or Alive 3.. but, I'll wait around to see if anything else comes along. Again.. personal preferrence. BTW, I think bundles suck. The $1200.00 X-Box bundle I saw was crazy. Even $400.00 and 2 games is a bit steep.

My intial feelings were wrapped up in one statement. My bad for not expressing more. I'm not mad about the comments, however personal attacks I do not condone. I instead offer why perhaps I am disagreed with? Tell me what you like about the X-Box that the PS2 or GameCube lacks. I am a fan of games and would buy any system that has games that I would enjoy playing.
Old 11-13-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We're working on a game right now that has some potential, however it looks nothing superior to a second generation game on the PS2.
So, who's fault is that?

Half the games that are coming out for X-Box at launch are ports of the PS2 games, about half of GameCubes are as well.
Are you saying this is a bad thing?

Because I personally believe Halo looks and plays like crap, that yes people will enjoy it along with Munch's Odyssee and a couple of other games. If these are the keys that are convincing gamers to get the system, then fine. However I think in the long run, it won't hold them afloat.
In the long run? Do you know what MS has planned for the 'long run'?

And just on sheer first glance, The controller feels and reacts horrible. the system is an oversized paperweight.
You're basing this on 'sheer first glance'. Don't you think every new controller has a learning curve? About the size.....how big do you think PS2 will look after you've added it's 40Gb HD?

The thought of possible patches for Console games deters me even more.
This one is too easy.

E3, I was unimpressed with the lineup of Microsoft. Halo was seriously chuggy, what I've played so far was decent, but again nothing special. Cel Damage was horrible. Simpsons Road Rage was even worse. Project Gotham... MSR for the X-Box with slowdown. The promising one would be Dead or Alive 3.. but, I'll wait around to see if anything else comes along.
You mean to tell me you're making your opinions about these games based on what you played at E3? The E3 that took place in L.A.? The E3 that took place in L.A. months ago? The E3 that took place in L.A. months ago with games that were still undergoing development?

Again.. personal preferrence. BTW, I think bundles suck. The $1200.00 X-Box bundle I saw was crazy. Even $400.00 and 2 games is a bit steep.
Ahhhh, yes. Something we can agree on.

Tell me what you like about the X-Box that the PS2 or GameCube lacks. I am a fan of games and would buy any system that has games that I would enjoy playing.
My answer to your first statement can be found by reading your second statement. It's got the games I enjoy playing.

As a side note.....
Is your name Trip Hawkins?
Old 11-13-01, 11:29 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Well said, Centurion. I couldn't have put it better.
Old 11-14-01, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Hey, I never said MS officially announced they'ld cut back units for release day, it's just that they've never denied the 300,000 # that's been floating around froom some pretty reputable sources. Whether they meet the 600,000 mark we'll know shortly. I bet not. It's more in their interest to create massive PR by causing a feeding frenzy like the PS2 had last ear.

As far as pricing strategy goes, I can see why MS wants to lower the price as soon as possible. Billy-boy realizes that this is the perfect way to infiltrate every household. You think the HD/ethernet is there just for games? I'm certain MS has big plans with PPV downloadable movies and music. Now all MS has to do is drive the broadband market harder.
Old 11-14-01, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Flay
Seamus Blackley. The hardcore Xbox promoter. He is like a 40 year old Frat Jock wrapped up in video games. ...
Wasn't he the guy who was supposedly behind the incredible suckage that was "Trespasser" for the PC?

Not a good sign for the Xbox.
Old 11-14-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Here's a couple of things that I remembered about Blackley that I read in magazines several years ago:

He's got a mathamatics PhD from MIT or some Ivy League school
He used to work at Looking Glass when it was under Origins, and was involved in filght sims like "Flight Unlimited" and "FU II"
He bailed on Looking Glass and joined MS several years ago

I saw this guy at Bill Gates's Comdex keynote speech last Sunday pimping the xbox. Flay's description of Seamus Blackley was right on.

They also gave away 4 units of xbox that night, too bad I didn't get one of those.
Old 11-14-01, 05:33 PM

So where do you guys think is one's best bet at getting an Xbox? Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, Comp USA, or Target?
Old 11-14-01, 06:16 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

See the funny thing is, I work for a game company.
Yeah right!!! Someone who really worked for a game company wouldn't make a statement like:

"I doubt there will still be any good games to play on the X-Crap by 2003. Not one thing is impressive or unique."

"
Because I personally believe Halo looks and plays like crap, that yes people will enjoy it along with Munch's Odyssee and a couple of other games.
Looks and plays like crap? Have you seen the finished product or read any reviews on Halo?

I love PS2, but why somone would go out of there way to knock a console that hasn't been released seems to be pure fanboy nonsense.
Old 11-14-01, 07:18 PM
Registered

Tigger Thanks for your post. It's nice to get the opinion of someone who is looking at this whole console war from the inside of a gaming company.

I've been a somewhat reluctant gamer, I tend to wait and see how the systems pan out. I acutally picked up a Dreamcast cheap earlier in the year (knowing it was going away) and have loved getting $50 games for $9.99. Then just won a PS2 the other month.

Funny thing, I apreciate how good the PS2 can be, spent hours playing Grand Theft Auto III, but I have to say I like more of the Dreamcast titles over PS2, it isn't about the system. Side by side who knows which one is better. I enjoy both for different reasons.

I think it all comes down to the games. And man I've played more stinkers on PS2 than Dreamcast (can anyone say Batman PS2!). But GTA3 and the demo for Metal Gear Solid 2 made me go WOW, I don't think Dreamcast has ever made me go WOW.

Who knows how it'll be for Xbox or Gamecube, but HONESTLY I think it's too early to judge the new systems.

The real test will be how the titles pan out for PS2, Xbox and Game Cube over the next year. Which platform is going to best meet its game release schedules and which are going to have titles delayed over and over and over again.

It's SOOOOO easy to bash Microsoft, they're so preditory it's hard to be excited about Xbox without having that fact in the back of your mind. And I've seen a lot of gamers knock GC because it's more oriented towards a younger audience.

Having said all that there's part of me that would love to run down and pick up both Xbox and GameCube (yeah right), because at the end of the day, there's always going to be SOMETHING about a system that's worth checking out and always something that will be less than great.

I just wish games weren't $50 each.
Old 11-14-01, 07:21 PM

I feel the need to just edit my post since opinons are not wanted when they are disagreed upon. I was bashing a console and the company behind it. Instead, you guys wish to bash me, disregard my opinions and blatently call me a liar. I've been a member for quite a while and usually keep my opinions to myself. In this instance I wished to voice what I felt and thought. I guess it is wrong to express opinions when they disagree with others. I don't know what kind of response you guys want, but rest assured you will not have to hear from me again.

BTW, I'm not Trip Hawkins.. I'm a man.. that guy thinks he's a God.

Last edited by Tigger; 11-14-01 at 07:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.