Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can u be a Serious Gamer just using a PC ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Can u be a Serious Gamer just using a PC ?

Old 11-15-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by tor_greg
The question is, "can you be a serious gamer WITHOUT using a PC?"

Actually, the question should be "Can you be a serious gamer without using both a PC and a console?"
Old 11-15-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by juiio
CDs are constrictive for some companies. DVDs for the most part aren't. Hence, drawback to PC gaming. Not a big one (and eventually it will fade to 0 as the transition to DVDs continues, but one nonetheless.
Last time I check, games get installed to the hard drive anyway. It doesn't cost much to throw a couple more CD's in the box.

LAN parties aren't an option for most people and even if its an option, its not practical most of hte time.
Just because most people don't have them doesn't mean LAN parties aren't the best thing ever.

Cheating isn't prevalent because its next to impossible to do. You can't run other processes. You can't hack executables. You can't hack drivers.
PSO was hacked...
Old 11-15-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
Last time I check, games get installed to the hard drive anyway. It doesn't cost much to throw a couple more CD's in the box.
Yes but some companies work to keep games on one disc. There usually isn't a disadvantage to using CDs, but the key word is "usually". Slight disadvantage to PC gaming.

Just because most people don't have them doesn't mean LAN parties aren't the best thing ever.
For the reasons I state above, the situations I mention are still a disadvantage to PC gaming.

PSO was hacked...
Like I said, its next to impossible; not impossible. Even if a few are hacked, cheating is still thousands times worse on PC gaming and hence is a huge disadvantage.
Old 11-15-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, its next to impossible; not impossible. Even if a few are hacked, cheating is still thousands times worse on PC gaming and hence is a huge disadvantage.
I think it's way too early to say that online console cheating is not going to be a problem; the only games being played online are THPS3 and ones on a dead system. Once it hits the mainstream, we'll see.
Old 11-15-01, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Yes but some companies work to keep games on one disc. There usually isn't a disadvantage to using CDs, but the key word is "usually". Slight disadvantage to PC gaming.
I still don't see your CD argument as making any sense. Game companies primarily don't use DVDs for games because CDs are cheaper to produce. Whether or not the consumer has a DVD drive is less of an issue. As was stated - games are installed to the hard drive, so games that span 2 discs are no big deal - a one-time install and then play whenever. You don't have to switch discs back and forth if you go to a different room. You don't even have to switch discs if you decide to play a different game (as long as you have a certain patch, some games still require the CD be inserted as an anti-piracy measure). I'm sorry - but Consoles using DVDs or not - you still have to stick a disc in every time you want to play a game. With a PC - you don't.
Old 11-15-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Nevermind. You don't understand.
Old 11-15-01, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off . . .
I gotta say kudos to everyone here.
This is probably one of the best PC vs Console threads
I have ever read . . .
(The few offhanded comments aside.)

As I see it, there will always be a place for both the PC and the console systems. There will always be pluses and minuses for both.

Factually, there are always a few things that will remain true. from a technological standpoint, PC's will always remain steps ahead of consoles. At least until consoles begin to offer some sort of upgradeability option. Cost of upgrades aside, the true meaning behind this arguement being that consoles, by design, are manufactured and sold to fit a certain lifespan. Yes, you can always go out and buy the latest and greatest, but given that arguement to a console the hardware is always at least a generation behind and the there is still issues with the playability with older media (games). This is less of an issue when it comes to PC's (though the issues exist, MAC games anyone ???)

Online Hacking:
Yes, hacking in PC multiplayer is always and issue, and is always a drag. At this point there is no way to compare hacking between consols and PC gaming. Yes, I admit that PC games are hacked and such hacks are easily accessable. Consoles can, and have been hacked as well. Is the scale the same ??? No. Do these hacks affect the same amount of ppl ??? No. But in order for this arguement to have any meaning you have to look at the larger picture. When connecting to play an online multiplayer game, when is the last time you have logged into a multiplayer console system come across literally hundreds upon hundreds of ~thousands~ of players that you can jump into a game with ??? This is not directed at MMORPG's either, it covers the full spectrum of games. For some the online gaming featureset is the most important. For the majority of others it does not matter at all. However, consoles still have a way to go before they can even hope of penetrating into that larger online world that exists for the PC's. I admit, the cheating exists, but as with any community, what server you game on determines the type of people that you will be gaming with.

Multiplayer:
LAN gaming is just plain fun. If you can swing it. Typically, such and event is planned. That is a bonus that consoles have going for it. Friends are over, it is much easier to jump into console multi play vs PC multi. However, multiplayer gaming on consoles severely limits the numer and types of game you can play. The benefit of PC's is that multiplayer code is already built into a considerable number of titles. Not all, but the number of games out there that scream for multi is on the smaller side.

In short, all it really comes down to in the end is the type of games you like to play. Can I imagine playing R6 on console ??? Ha, not likely. Gran Turismo 3 on a PC . . . Tempting, but it would just not be the same. Some systems do certain things well, and works well on one, may not work well on others.

Hrts