Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best gaming mouse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best gaming mouse?

What do you guys think is the best gaming mouse out there? I don't know for sure but I think it would have to be optical.
Old 10-08-01, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I've NEVER been able to play a game on my PC with a regular mouse. At least not with any good results. Even an optical mouse doesn't do it for me.

I play mostly FPS and my trusty Logitech Marble mouse works the best(for me). No picking up the mouse to re-position it, less wrist fatigue etc..

Most people I know, though, hate trackball type mice. It does take a little getting used to, but I use them at wok and home.
Old 10-08-01, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use microsoft intelimouse explorer optical
The shape is comfortable.
The supporting software is great
Optical means more accurate.
The wheel is great for weapon switching (in fps)
the 2 thumb buttons and wheel button can be mapped to other functions.

I also have a logitech optical with feedback. Don't like it at all. The accuracy and reliability of logitech's optical tacking is terrible.
The force feeback is confusing and with an optical mouse, sometimes it makes the cursor move.
Old 10-09-01, 04:32 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still use my trusty Logitech First Wheel mouse for playing games on my PC Nothing else will suffice.

As for optical mice, fortunately for you, the technology is getting better and better every year. The first generation optical mice could only sample movement 300 times per second, for FPS games like Quake III and Counter-Strike this was totally unacceptable as you could not aim properly with that sampling rate, any sudden movements would cause the optical sensor to lose tracking and your aim would go to hell and back.

We're now into the 3rd generation of optical mice with Microsoft leading the way with a sensor that samples movement at a whopping 6,000 times per second. Logitech's 3rd generation offering incorporates dual 800/sec optical sensors for an interpolated 1,600 times a second. Each company says that their method gives the best accuracy, but the only way you are going to tell is to buy it, take it home, and try it out on your mousepad/desk/countertop or whatever surface you use your mouse on, because the optical sensors react uniquely on every surface.

Suffice to say, you probably can't go wrong with one of the new optical mice (USB of course) for gaming. Be sure to get a comfortable mouse so you don't get carpal tunnel syndrome after playing Counter-Strike for 8hrs a day, and you'll be fine.

-BT
Old 10-09-01, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that this is very good.

Old 10-10-01, 01:12 AM

Ah, the awesome Razor Boomsling (sic?). 1000 dpi and 2000dpi models I think. As I remember from reviews, somewhat uncomfortable but accurate as hell. I think the company is dying and they're not t super easy to find anymore.

I use the MS Optical Mouse (2nd Generation) and it's very solid.
Old 10-10-01, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RudeBoie
Ah, the awesome Razor Boomsling (sic?). 1000 dpi and 2000dpi models I think. As I remember from reviews, somewhat uncomfortable but accurate as hell. I think the company is dying and they're not t super easy to find anymore.

I use the MS Optical Mouse (2nd Generation) and it's very solid.
same here
Old 10-10-01, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
I play mostly FPS and my trusty Logitech Marble mouse works the best(for me). No picking up the mouse to re-position it, less wrist fatigue etc..

I'm with you, Logitech Marble Trackball all the way. I've been using one for years now and love it..
Old 10-10-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RudeBoie
I use the boomslang myself. I have to admit, it takes some getting used to, primarily because you have to position your hand further back on the mouse than you are used to. Once you get used to it, and the speed of it (oooh boy, is it fast), it's a fantastic mouse. ...kinda wish it was optical though, I get tired of cleaning crud out of it.
Old 10-10-01, 04:05 PM

I use a Logitech Wingman Gaming mouse. It's the best mouse I've ever used. Unfortunately they're not being sold in stores anymore. But you can still find a few being sold on e-bay. It's worth searching out for.