Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody here play Dance Maniax (or Dance Freaks)?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This game is like.. 100 times better than DDR. At least for me anyways. I was always a showman on DDR, yet there was just so many limitations on that game (even on double mode)

Dance Maniax (or the Korean version which we have here in Dallas "Dance Freaks") is all about getting downtown with some funky freestyle goodness. I'm seriously addicted, not good.. losing money.. argh..
Old 10-10-01, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're probably the first big fan I've seen/heard for Maniax. I think it's okay. But I don't think it's not as imaginative as PPP. But then again, I only played both once and have never really seen good people play either. DDR for me for now still.
Old 10-10-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.. it really comes down to the freestyle aspect. I really don't like PPP, first of all EVERY SINGLE SONG on the game is Euro-Beat or Euro-Dance.. which makes me want to puke. Maniax hs techno, rave, groove, booty bass, jazz, metal, pop, and a couple euros. It's got a good DIVERSE selection. On PPP, the freestly is mostly based on Para Dancing, which is a gay dance for japanese girls. Seeing non japanse girls do it is REALLY horrible. I've seen some "interesting" stuff on PPP but nothing to the likes of even a novice freestyler playing doubles on Maniax. DDR is still the best overall game for people wanting to play music games, but I have seen and played them all, and DMX is THE freestyle game.
Old 10-10-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a stupid question but whats PPP?

I can't figure out the acyronym
Old 10-10-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PPP = Para Para Paradise, it's a game like DDR but uses your arms to mimic a REALLY fruity japanese dance style.

Dance Maniax/Dance Freaks, is another game like DDR that you use you hands/arms to play.

I'll try to explain.

PPP you have 5 sensors surrounding you, one in the middle, one to the right and left, and one in upper right and upper left, so it's like a half circle. And you wave your arms over the sensors, like stepping on the panels in DDR. Only 1 player.

DMX there are only 2 sensors, and you move your hands or arms over OR under them depeding on what the screen tells you to do. This game is also 2 players mode, and you can opt to play "double" which you use both sets of panels, making 4 panels (this is how I play.. and how all the cool stuff is done)

They seem similar in concept, but they are really different games in how you can do performaces. In PPP, you are kinda "stuck" inside your half circle area, on double-mode DMX, you have the entire area in front of the machine. I have seen some good PPP stuff, when they are NOT doing actual "Para Dancing", but I really hate the music in that game, and it's MY opinion that you are free to do "more" in DMX. Some will argue me though, it's really up to the individual though.

Wish I had some movies to show of people playing each game. And I'm about to go home from work so I'll forget tomorrow most likely hehe..
Old 10-10-01, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info I am dumb

Anyway they both sound interesting, I wish my arcade was bigger so it would actually have some of those games, the sensor part sounds kinda like Samba de Amigo (which my arcade never got either). They only JUST got DDR and its starting to catch on sort of.
I know what you mean about fruity though, my friend spent a year in japan and in her emails the one thing she always said was that in Japan the people just flat out can't dance. Surprising though since thats where dance video games originate from. I'm sure that statement has holes in it and has many exceptions, that was just her general observation and her imitations were really hilarious, but I could sort of get the jist of what she meant.

I got a mat for DDR last week and I'm going to try out the level6.com mod on it so its a bit more sturdier.