Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guncon 2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 01:58 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guncon 2?

In which way is the Guncon 2 hooked up to the ps2? I have component video and the first Guncon went through the a/v jacks. Is there any way I can play this game with component video?
Old 10-04-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it is a USB connection just from what I have read.
Old 10-04-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever frickin FedEx gets here, I'll let you know, but from what I read it is a USB connecting device.
Old 10-04-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It plugs into the USB slot and the A/V jack. It comes with a two sided Video cord so you can connect two guns. However, I'm having problems with mine. The game only reconizes a small window in the middle of the screen. Try to shoot anything out of this window and the game doesn't recognize it. I tired hooking up the original Guncon and only get the same results. I thought that both my guns were defective so I tried to original Time Crisis. The Guncon 2 isn't compatible but the regular Guncon works fine. So either my t.v. isn't compatible or my game is defective. Anyone else having these problems with Time Crisis 2?
Old 10-04-01, 07:01 PM

Yeppers, I would be another person. Looks like Namco is going be receiving a LOT of complaints about this one. We need to get other replying to this as well. I would like to know what TVs people are using that are having problems. Specifically, I am using a 36" Wega XBR450. I normally use component video but since I know TC2 doesn't support component I plugged in my standard AV cables instead. I tried plugging the Guncon 2 into THREE different composite jacks on my TV, all with no luck at all. The gun calibration screen comes up but it doesn't recognize me shooting at the screen (i.e. it won't let me advance). I KNOW it's the TV too, as I tried it on my normal 20" Toshiba in my bedroom and it works perfectly. I would like to hear others' experiences with the game who own a Wega. NOT happy about this right now...
Old 10-04-01, 07:21 PM

It might sound like it isn't compatible with flat screen tv's, it might be a long shot, but it may be it. I have a Panasonic TAU, which is flat screen as well, and I just don't want to bother/take a chance on a game that might not work with my equipment.
Old 10-04-01, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 20" Zenith. On the back of the box it says that the Guncon 2 isn't compatible with LCD monitors, Projections tv's, and other displays. It says to check out www.namco.com/support/guncon.html for more info.

Including that small window problem I mentioned before, the menu screen also doesn't recognize shooting. You can point to options, but to select them you have to point to them with the d-pad and shoot off screen. The calibration screen does recognize both Guncon's but again only within the middle window. You basically trace the "window of recognition" with the cursor. I hope Namco issues a recall or something. So far I can only play with the Dual Shock. Oh joy
Old 10-04-01, 09:48 PM

where are u getting ur guncon 2s from??....can't seem to find it on amazon.....even though i heard it was packaged with time crisis 2....any help would be much appreciated.....thanx
Old 10-04-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sleeper13
where are u getting ur guncon 2s from??
I got mine from a local Gamestop. Had it for $54.99. Five dollars cheaper than EB.
Old 10-04-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh no! (Fed Ex is being idotic, so I didn't get mine today...) Does the GunCon 2 not work if you are using an S-Video connection? I thought the USB connection would fix that, but it sounds like you still have to hook it up to the video out.
Old 10-05-01, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have to get the av adapter to use it with s-video I think they are like $15.
Old 10-05-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
You have to get the av adapter to use it with s-video I think they are like $15.
I saw a pic of the adapter on ebworld, and couldn't tell, does my S-Video cable plug into it? All I saw were the normal outputs, and what looked like a connection on the end for another plug that fits in the PS2. Did that make sense?
Old 10-05-01, 02:49 PM

Yes, the adapter can work with the s-video, from what I understand, the standard audio/video jacks are at the side, and the s-video output is at the end. But, is there any way to connect component video up to the guncon 2?
Old 10-05-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe the gun controllers work by timing the sweep of the signal as it scans the picture on the CRT. Displays where this sweep doesn't exist (LCD) or where the timing of the sweep is altered (line doublers/de-interlacers) will not work with the Guncon.

rarebucky, IIRC the XBR450 includes DRC which IIRC is basically a line-doubler. If that's turned on by default for all inputs, then that might be the source of your problem. You might want to try turning that off if that's possible.
Old 10-07-01, 10:38 AM

I have the Japanese version of TC2 and connected the yellow RCA from Guncon2 to the Y RCA (from YPbPr) of the component video and it worked very well.
Old 10-07-01, 02:51 PM

So you can use it with component? Just hook it up to the y cable of component? Well I guess I won't be saving money be not buying it anymore.
Old 10-08-01, 03:52 AM

Wasn't I clear enough? Yes, GuncOn2 works in component via the Y of the Y Pb Pr .

Amazing, this also works even in flat TVs (my TV is the Japanese model 36HDF9 which is a 16:9). I know that TC2 is 4:3 but even when I stretched the 4:3 to fill the 16:9 screen , the GunCon2 still worked (of course the characters were distorted so I just use 4:3)
Old 10-08-01, 10:17 AM

For those of you using component, what TVs are you using???? Is ANYONE getting this game to work with a Wega XBR?