Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Gamecube dieing out??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Is Gamecube dieing out??
yes
30.43%
no
69.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Is Gamecube dieing out??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Gamecube dieing out??

I think that less people want Gamecube now then when it was first announced, am I right??

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 08-25-01 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-25-01, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
no way, with the strong spaceworld showing, I would have to disagree with this assumption very much. Also, having Soul Calibur 2 as an exclusive (for a while) will help tremendously.
Old 08-25-01, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
Also, having Soul Calibur 2 as an exclusive (for a while) will help tremendously.
that's not very exclusive then is it? But, to answer the question, no. I do know some people that seemed like they were going to buy GC, but have since changed their minds. However, this is not the majority.
Old 08-25-01, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that Spaceworld was a decent showing for Nintendo, but nothing seemed to go quite right.

1)Delay, now they launch AFTER XBox
2)Only 3 colors at launch
3)The butchering of Zelda
4)Mario Blah!
Old 08-25-01, 06:01 PM

Hard to tell. There are a lot of enthusiastic gamers out there who are waiting for this system. Even if GC doesn't sell too well in US, it still has a large market base in the rest of the world. Unlike X box, which will be a dead duck if it could not capture local market in US alone.
Old 08-25-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eventhough I've sided with Sony in this war, I don't believe that GC is dying out -- not by a longshot. Despite many of the "kiddie" games that may turn off some gamers, I believe that they've got a strong enough line up and a strong following for them to go head to head with Sony. It will be a tough battle, though, since Sony does have killers apps like MGS2, DMC, FFX, Tekken 4, and many others.
Old 08-25-01, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by RJainMJ

that's not very exclusive then is it?
uh, yeah it sort of is. DOA2 was billed as an exclusive on the DC even though it eventually came out on the PS2. Like I said, it's an exclusive on that system for a certain period of time.
Old 08-26-01, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
[B

[/B]

3 colors are always better than 1

I think alot of people were turned off by Zelda, which will probably have alot of them wait and see what develops
Old 08-27-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball

Only 3 colors!

Even CGA graphics have 4 colors. Gamecube is gonna suck bad.
Old 08-29-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only 3 colors?? Better go with the XBox or PS2 then! You've got 16 choices of Black with them.
Old 08-29-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to me, it seems like MORE people want it now than ever. When PS2 and XBOX were first announced it seemed like all my friends wanted one of those 2 because nintendo was too "kiddie" Now after seeing the maybe 3 good games for PS2 and the horrible (honestly des anyone even see ONE game that they just have to have for this thing, cause I don't ). Now that GC is cheaper and actually has some decent looking games, almost everyone has come to their senses I used to really want XBOX, but seeing how their launch games are now I don't even plan on buying one at all and I've owned every system on launch since the atari 2600 (even paid $699 for my 3DO and 449 for my saturn yikes!!)

also, if you buy a game system due to its color, then I think you should stick to playing PC games

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 08-29-01 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-29-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Game cube launch is going on strong now in Japan, a lot of commercial popping on the TV.They got Luigi Mansion game also with the same day of the launch. And the price of 25,000 yen is a very good price for it.
Just waiting for PS2 to drop thier price.
Old 08-29-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
Now after seeing the maybe 3 good games for PS2 and the horrible (honestly does anyone even see ONE game that they just have to have for this thing, cause I don't
I can think of 4...

Old 08-29-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry i meant 1 game for the XBOX that you just have to have..oops
Old 08-29-01, 10:30 PM
Retired

Heck no. The only people bitching are people that hate Nintendo. I thought it was a very strong showing. It wasn't astonishing, but Nintendo always keeps things underwraps until release dates draw near, hence not much being shown of Mario and Zelda. I was slightly dissapointed with Zelda's no look, but it is the gameplay that matter, not graphics, so I'll withhold judgement until I get to play it or at least see some reviews on the actual game play.
Old 08-30-01, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just recently, I have become very interested in the Gamecube. People mention the delay, but what's 2 weeks. Most of its sales will be for little kids as Christmas gifts. I really don't think people will be so impatient from the time that the XBox is released to the release date of the Gamecube, that they'll be forced to run to the store and shell out $100 more than they would a week later on the Gamecube.

I've had the Playstation 2 since the day it came out and it has done me well. If I buy XBox, I'm going to be getting all the same games I could buy on my PS2, save a choice few. The new Oddworld and Cel Damage are the only games for the XBox I'm even interested in. But in the last month, I've been looking at previews for Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Racing, the new Mario adventure game and the news that Mario Kart is heading to the Gamecube also. All these will be exclusive to the Gamecube. There's lots of other exclusives for the Cube, but these were the ones that interested me most. The new Zelda has a cartoony look, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm uncertain as to which systems Sega will be developing games for, but I do know Sonic is heading to the Gamecube and I'm not certain if that be said for the other systems. Plus, more games will come from Nintendo-frienldy developer Rare - you know, those guys who brought us Goldeneye. Gamecube dying out? I think it's just the opposite.
Old 08-30-01, 03:10 PM

But in the last month, I've been looking at previews for Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Racing, the new Mario adventure game and the news that Mario Kart is heading to the Gamecube also. All these will be exclusive to the Gamecube.
As one who looks forward to the XBOX, I could care less about anything that is Mario related. For those of you who are really into Mario, more power to you, but I hate it when Nintendo lovers talk about the exclusivity of Mario and imply how everyone else will be missing out. I don't care for Mario, and if it came out on the XBOX, I would not buy it. When I look at the games being developed for all 3 systems, I very much like what XBOX has to offer.
Old 08-30-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spacecowboy1
As one who looks forward to the XBOX, I could care less about anything that is Mario related. For those of you who are really into Mario, more power to you, but I hate it when Nintendo lovers talk about the exclusivity of Mario and imply how everyone else will be missing out. I don't care for Mario, and if it came out on the XBOX, I would not buy it.
I don't think it's a case of everyone else missing out, but the simple fact is that Mario sells systems. Any exclusive, quality, title sells systems.

How many Genesis systems did the John Madden and NHL series sell? They might have been available on the Super NES eventually, but each annual revision almost always made it's debut on Genesis. Similarly, how much did the lack of the EA series hurt sales of the Dreamcast?

Mario might not be your cup of tea, but he's a behemoth in this industry and Nintendo can ride his wake all the way to success in this newest war.
Old 08-30-01, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lauch date in Japan for Gamecube is Sept 14, and X-Box is postponed until 2-2-2002.
Sony's not soo worried about Gamecube but X-Box seems to be its major rival.The grafics in X-Box was great and i saw a clear white color version of X-Box also.
Sega will be making Sonic 2 adventures for Gamecube and also 3 new games for X-Box . FROM game software maker is making all 3 platform game machines.So X-Box has more games to be launched with.
Old 08-30-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Kumar J

Sony's not soo worried about Gamecube
I think most of us in the industry could debate this. Sony just dropped the PS2 price in Japan pretty much to compete with the Gamecube. With such a huge price drop, don't you think it had alot to do with the Gamecube?