Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Otters - Please choose your console

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which Game Console Will Come Out On Top in 2002?
Microsoft X-BOX
20.59%
Sony PLAYSTATION 2
32.35%
Nintendo GAMECUBE
38.24%
Video Games are for Kids - bleh - stupid polls...
8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Otters - Please choose your console

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-01, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RolloTomasi
UNFOUNDED RUMOR!

Sorry, but that is definitely not true at all.

From the above FAQ...

Wow, I really thought that was true. I'm sure I read it somewhere, pretty good source, EGM maybe? Not sure. But the author in the FAQ doesn't sound too sure.
Spoiler:
It seems strange that they just didn't take Aeris's ghost out of midgar.
Old 08-24-01, 02:25 PM

Otters? What do you mean by otters? I guess I'm not up-to-date with the latest message board slang.
Old 08-24-01, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RJainMJ

Well, I haven't played the previous FF's. Actually, I'm in the middle of FF6. Excellent so far ...
Well, you're excused then.
Old 08-24-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mezzanine
Otters? What do you mean by otters? I guess I'm not up-to-date with the latest message board slang.
This was originally incorrectly posted in the "Other" forum.
Old 08-24-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Aghama
This was originally incorrectly posted in the "Other" forum.
Not incorrectly... WTF? I didn't want you guys' opinions - I wanted the opinions of the Others! There's already a dozen polls in this forum. (removed inappropriate comments -Blade)

Anyway - when it was in the Other forum, X-box was winning followed by Video Games are stupid and Playstation 2 as a tie and Nintendo bringing up the rear. Totally different results. I already know what the skew is in here. GRRRR - (removed inappropriate comments -Blade)!
Old 08-24-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Anyway - when it was in the Other forum, X-box was winning followed by Video Games are stupid and Playstation 2 as a tie and Nintendo bringing up the rear. Totally different results. I already know what the skew is in here. GRRRR - Damn Moderators!
Why does it matter what people who don't play video games think? They know MS has money, so they vote for the X-Box. Don't know what that tells you...
Old 08-24-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm an Otter and I voted X-Box. Here's why:

I participated in some market research for a game called Project: Ego. Don't worry the name is gonna change. I was surrounded by a bunch of other RPG (mostly) gamers although there were a few who were only into sports titles.

Everybody was pretty ho-hum about the game we were seeing, mainly because the cinematics that they showed us (we didn't get to play the game) weren't all that impressive to most of us. Then they announced that the cinematics weren't cinematics but were in fact in game real time rendered 3D. I knew this from the get-go because I've played PC games before (ever hear of Quake???) so I thought it looked pretty cool. The features list was amazingly cool as well.

The final question of the night was, if this game were to come out would you spend $300 for an X-Box just to play it? 8 out of 10 answered yes (I was on the bubble). The console gamers were TOTALLY blown away time and time again by what the system could do. I don't think any of the new systems coming out are going to elicit that kind of response because none of them has the hardware to do it.

Mordred
Old 08-24-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does it matter what people who don't play video games think? They know MS has money, so they vote for the X-Box. Don't know what that tells you...
I think it may matter to him because some of us Otters play Video Games but don't leave that forum

Mordred
Old 08-24-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mordred
I think it may matter to him because some of us Otters play Video Games but don't leave that forum

Mordred
True, but I would guess there are many Otters who don't and would vote even when ignorant. Unless Trigger was just trying to poll popular opinion, I don't see the use.
Old 08-24-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but I would guess there are many Otters who don't and would vote even when ignorant. Unless Trigger was just trying to poll popular opinion, I don't see the use.
I just think the VGF is too skewed with Nintendo fanboys and I wanted a better cross section - that's why I included an option that video games are stupid... it recieved as many votes as Nintendo did when this was in the other forum, but hasn't recieved a single one since this thread was moved. X-Box hasn't recieved many votes since the thread moved either. Sorry if I wanted a different gene pool to answer the same question that has already been answered here a dozen times.
Old 08-24-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
- I have a Japenese Import PS2 (1000 unit that plays American dvds) and There are many titles on the horizon that will slowly put the PS2 back on top.

GT3, great game

Onimusha: Beat it 3 times

Blood the last Vampire: Great anime 2 CDset. Too bad it'll never see the light here in the U.S.

Fear: Another great title, again not coming here. 4 CD set, basically a interactive digital movie.

Final F: What can I say, I love this series. I'm not even a thrid in, and all I can say is that RPG'rs are in for a treat when this gets the U.S. rollout.

Devil My Cry: Picking it up today after work, this looks like another solid game for the system. The demo was really good. I hadn't been this excited on getting my hand on a game after playing the demo since the "Metal Gear Demo" that was floating around a few years back.

And of course...

Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty. That's the game I bought my PS2 for.

Back in March 99' I paid $650.00 for my PS2, and feel it was worth every penny.

I do plan on getting a Gamecube (probably not at rollout, I have enough games for the moment)....

And, even though "Halo" has been the #1 game I've wanted (and played) at the last two E3 Confrences, I still won't be buying an xbox. I even felt this way when Micro$oft originally bought "Bungie" and it was said that HALO was going to be an xbox exclusive (no PC version).....

.... but luckily that changed.

-k
###
Old 08-24-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keyser, can you teach me Japanese?

I'd be very interested in your DMC experiences in a couple of days; it's the first PS2 game that I'm really excited about.
Old 08-24-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Keyser, can you teach me Japanese?

I'd be very interested in your DMC experiences in a couple of days; it's the first PS2 game that I'm really excited about.
lol.... to be honest... I don't know Japenese, I might as well learn the damn_language for as many jap games I've played and beatin'.....

This has went back to even before FFVII, Don't ask me how I've gotten through a couple of them!

DMC should be pretty easy, since it's Capcom, all the voices will be in English, and the only things I really need to figure out is how to use items, etc. Should be pretty straight forward, as I've done the same for RE Veronica, and Biohazard I and II before it.

Once I get some hours of gaming under my bet on DMC, I'll post here.

-k
###
Old 08-24-01, 05:53 PM

Seriously, Can X box come up close with these?

Old 08-24-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by JiGGY

Its FMV. Any of the three can.
Old 08-24-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JiGGY

Of course... most of the screenshots released for X-Box are of actual gameplay scenes - not cut-scene FMV stuff...

Check out the Lord of the Rings trailer if you want to see what FMV the X-box is capable of... That's not the issue anyway... if you're just getting the game system to watch movies, then perhaps you should get an X-Box or PS2 because they can at least play DVDs.
Old 08-24-01, 07:36 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Trigger
Not incorrectly... WTF? I didn't want you guys' opinions - I wanted the opinions of the Others!
Trigger,

While I can appreciate your frustration, just because you ask the moderators to not move a thread doesn't mean they won't.

I've moved plenty of threads (though not yours in this particular case) with such pleas because people were trying to get a quick answer to a question by posting an off topic post in a busier forum.

However, I also agree that you had a valid request in this situation. But when you're going to do something that is pretty off topic for the forum, you're better off getting an OK from the forum moderators before you post.

Tell you what, if you email Randy, Bushdog or Namja and get one of the moderators' permission, I'll do the work and move it back and reset the numbers on the poll for you. Or you could just try and repost it once you get permission.

I hope you understand that these things are not done to upset individual members, but to make sure that the forum rules are followed for the benefit of all the members.
Old 08-24-01, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by juiio

Its FMV. Any of the three can.
Graphically, sure. But the important thing is can they match the incredible excellence of the Final Fantasy series?