Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WARNING!! SEGADEALS.COM SELLING BOOTLEGS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who are viewers and posters of the Dreamcast deals thread I keep updated, you know about segadeals.com and their "LOW LOW Prices". The games they are selling are merely copies. DO NOT order from them. If you have already placed an order contact ccnow @ 1-877-CCNOW77 to cancel your order. Please post any feedback concerning this issue here in this thread. I would like to appologize for any problems this has caused anyone. I did post segadeals.com in our dreamcast thread, but I did give warning that it was a new business. I will post my results.
Old 06-25-01, 12:59 PM

OK I took a chance on Segadeals.com, too, even though I should have known better. I'm just wanting to know what course of actions we should take so we can get our money back...including not having to pay for shipping these things back to Pakistan.

Hopefully Segadeals.com/CCNOW will cooperate, otherwise it looks like we'll have to get our credit card companies involved.

--Brian
Old 06-25-01, 01:23 PM

OK, I tried calling CCNow (1- 877- CCNOW- 77) and couldn't even get a human. I guess you can only leave voice mail and all their boxes were full. Sooooo, I wrote them this email:

Hi! I was sold illegal and bootleg items from one of your retail store clients, http://www.segadeals.com . Sega Deals fooled it's customers into thinking it would be getting legitimate and legal games, so this is not an error on
the customer's fault.

I will need an IMMEDIATE refund on both of my orders or I will get my credit card company involved stating you didn't sell the products "as listed". This includes all shipping costs! Here are my order numbers:

xx-xxxx
xx-xxxx

Failure to reply to this email in a prompt fashion will make me believe you aren't willing to support your customer's and I will gladly call my credit card company to contest this charge. Thank you!

--Brian M Marquardt
----------------------------

I don't know why I'm even bothering, I should just call Discover Card.

--Brian

Old 06-25-01, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called and talked to a live person. At first I kept getting that the voice mail was full. Instead of pushing "2" or "3" in the shopper menu, push "1". This will transfer you to a different department, but you should talk to a live person. This person probably can't help you, but they transferred me to a live ccnow person. I got my order cancelled. I then called back to check the "status" of my order and they said it was cancelled. Good luck.
Old 06-25-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry y'all got burned. If I'd gotten my paycheck about a week earlier, I would be in the same mess right now.

Just remember, as much as it seems like you've been screwed all the way from Pakistan, all the cards are in your hand. You can cancel the charge by contacting your CC company, which means the store gets no money. Now, as they not only sold you an entirely different product from the one you ordered, but sold you one of questionable legality to boot, they have very little recourse to get their money back. Of course, for moral reasons, you should certainly offer to send the product back if they'll pay full shipping (check shipping rates to Pakistan with your local post office before contacting SegaDeals). But if they won't answer or refuse to pay, just keep both product and money. The same reason you might have trouble dealing with them - i.e. they're halfway around the world - will work in your favor; how is some little bootleg vendor in Pakistan going to press legal action against an American citizen?

Good luck!
Old 06-25-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what a shame. hopefully your CC company helps you out.
Old 06-25-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the segadeals hassle, but anyone who ordered should not worry too much. I did talk with somebody at ccnow.com (after getting voicemail and a full mailbox!) and explained the situation. They processed my refund request, and cc'd me on an email to segadeals addressing my refund request. I also emailed segadeals directly, told him/them why I was refusing the items (they're bootleg copies!), and also noted that I would not pay any postage. I asked them to get me a prepaid shipment method so I could return the items.

In any case, I'll contact my credit card company directly if there's no action taken within a few days. There's no way they will hold me liable for falsely represented illegal goods.

BTW, the discs do boot up just fine. (I tried them to see.) And 18 Wheeler is the Japanese version!
Old 06-25-01, 05:28 PM

[Copied from my post in the other thread.]

I'd also report segadeals.com to the Business Software Alliance:

http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/

And also to Sega at http://www.sega.com

There is no excuse for a distributor to be selling pirated copies of software. If they actually are a legit distributor with Sega approval, that status won't last too long.

Old 06-25-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

<sigh> I got a note in my mailbox about a package - then I read this and my heart dropped I did email CCNOW - hopefully they'll issue me a prompt refund.

Old 06-25-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would suggest everybody who attempted an order with these guys keep a very close eye on their cc usage. Segadeals will be gone in a billing cycle or two. I've seen it before, I work in merchant services for a bank and we deal with companies like CCNow. You will win the chargeback but Segadeals has already been paid. Its up to CCNow to get the money back, if Segadeals is pulling the money out of the depository account CCNow is on the hook. The site had to be a scam, they were definitely passing these bootlegs off as legitimate product. This isn't you typical merchant error. This is fraud. It wouldn't surprise me if they were also harvesting CC#s.

Old 06-26-01, 06:06 AM

My email comment to segadeals.com

It has come to my attention that your company sells bootleged merchandise. I have placed 2 orders with your company and after I questioned your company about whether the games were new and sealed- the answer I got was Yes. At the very least you have been misleading.

The response

We would like to inform you that it is not true that we sell bootlegged merchandise. The games we sell are imports. They are called Sega GD-Roms and they have original pictures printed on the CDs as well as on the covers. Since they are imports so they do not come with instructions and that is why they are so inexpensive.

You were told that you will get brand new games and they are indeed brand new.

Sincerely,

http://www.SegaDeals.com

I think our friend in Pakistan doesnt understand the term new, sealed, and made in usa and until now has never revealed that these games are Gd-roms.

[Edited by rskinfn on 06-26-01 at 04:39 AM]
Old 06-26-01, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Since they are imports so they do not come with instructions and that is why they are so inexpensive"

Those must be some expensive instructions...
Old 06-26-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My response also indicated that they are new imported GD-ROMS with silver backs (not gold). The discs *are* silver, fwiw. BUT, my 18 Wheeler is the Japanese version ("made in the US"???) and my "Sega Smashpack" (which I wanted for Virtua Cop 2) is actually "Smashpack volume 4" with the Genesis emulator and about 200 Genesis games. I *KNOW* that Sega never released that 'officially'!!! So I emailed back, again stating that the products in my order were not as described.

And although there is "printing" on the discs and a cover slip, they don't look very "original." (An original Smashpack vol. 4?) And the back insert for the CD case is clearly made up--18 Wheeler has some screenshots and part of a [p]review from a mag printed on it.

I'm giving it a few more days before I have my CC company cancel the charge.
Old 06-27-01, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
My response also indicated that they are new imported GD-ROMS with silver backs (not gold). The discs *are* silver, fwiw. BUT, my 18 Wheeler is the Japanese version ("made in the US"???) and my "Sega Smashpack" (which I wanted for Virtua Cop 2) is actually "Smashpack volume 4" with the Genesis emulator and about 200 Genesis games. I *KNOW* that Sega never released that 'officially'!!! So I emailed back, again stating that the products in my order were not as described.

And although there is "printing" on the discs and a cover slip, they don't look very "original." (An original Smashpack vol. 4?) And the back insert for the CD case is clearly made up--18 Wheeler has some screenshots and part of a [p]review from a mag printed on it.

I noticed that both have the DC comics logo on them too. I dunno whats up with that - I didn't see any DC properties in 18 Wheel Pro Trucker or the Smash Pack. And the Smash Pack is so frustrating to navigate. <sigh>

Old 06-27-01, 07:37 AM

Looks like this guy (Sega Deals)isn't budging and claiming these are imports. I might have been stupid by ordering from that sight, but I'm smart enough to know what a bootleg game is.

I would take this up with Discover card, but their policy is whacked. Look:

"Special Rule for Credit Card Purchases

If you have a problem with the quality of goods or
services that you purchased with a credit card, and
you have tried in good faith to correct the problem
with the merchant, you may not have to pay the
remaining amount due on the goods or services. You
have this protection only when the purchase price was
more than $50 and the purchase was made in your home
state or within 100 miles of your mailing address. (If
we own or operate the merchant, or if we mailed you
the advertisement for the goods or services, all
purchases are covered regardless of amount or location
of purchase.)"

OK, why do I have this protection only if I purchased items in my own home state? Does internet sales count as buying in my own home state? And the "problem with the quality of goods part", well, these games are STOLEN...yes, I consider these games STOLEN as they are bootlegs. How do I prove this to Discover when this Sega Deals fool is claiming they're legit imports? This guy is a crook and shouldn't be veiwed as anything otherwise.

Grrrrr. I don't want to deal with this crook directly. What should I do?

--Brian

Old 06-27-01, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shuki
"Since they are imports so they do not come with instructions and that is why they are so inexpensive"

Those must be some expensive instructions...
no instructions for foreigners! God bless America!
Old 06-27-01, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by bmarquardt
Looks like this guy (Sega Deals)isn't budging and claiming these are imports. I might have been stupid by ordering from that sight, but I'm smart enough to know what a bootleg game is.

OK, why do I have this protection only if I purchased items in my own home state? Does internet sales count as buying in my own home state? And the "problem with the quality of goods part", well, these games are STOLEN...yes, I consider these games STOLEN as they are bootlegs. How do I prove this to Discover when this Sega Deals fool is claiming they're legit imports? This guy is a crook and shouldn't be veiwed as anything otherwise.

Grrrrr. I don't want to deal with this crook directly. What should I do?

--Brian
Fill out the dispute form on the back of a recent credit card statement, and include an explanation. You can make a copy of the back side of the statement, which is usually where the form is located.

You have 60 days to get the form to the credit card company. In this case, the items you received are not as described, so you have a valid claim.

I've purchased import games in the past and the games ALWAYS come with instructions if the game is new.
Old 06-27-01, 01:04 PM

Would you have access to a scanner to scan the back of the cd case insert and post it here?
Old 06-27-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd suggest dealing with ccnow.com first. Explain to them that the games are bootlegs ("Smashpack vol. 4" is an official Sega release???) and that the vendor is claiming they are legal "imports." Let them know that if they don't arrange to cancel the credit card charge, then you will immediately contact your cc co. and dispute the charge. And ultimately you can easily show that the product is not legit. I'm sure the SBA and Sega would help if there was any further hassle.

As for scanning the cd insert, sorry but I don't have access to a scanner. If I did, I'd post it. Can anyone else who received an order do this?
Old 06-27-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd suggest dealing with ccnow.com first.
Go to your credit card company FIRST! CCnow works for the merchant, they do not have the cardholders interests in mind, only the card issuing bank will take your side.

Old 06-27-01, 10:49 PM

Before I go to my credit card company, let me ask this:

I haven't and won't open these games, because I know they're copies. I'm 99.9 percent sure they are (duh! no kidding). For those who DID open them, I was told a way to make sure they're from Sega or not. I was told:

"Import or not, all Sega Dreamcast games can be checked for legitimacy via a ring on the silver side of the GD-Rom about 1 inch from the center which will read "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises, LTD" and "Trademark Sega". They will say that verbatim and in English regardless of whether they are imported DC games."

So, are those "watermarks" on the games or not? If they aren't, this will help our cause immensley. We'll have certain proof these are copies, even after "Mr. Sega Deals" claims they're "imports".

Also, has anyone confronted Sega Deals about a refund and then S.D. offered to refund all $$$ and shipping charges *upfront*?

--Brian
Old 06-27-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DO NOT SHIP THEM BACK THEIR ILLEGAL PRODUCT!!! Charge it back, refuse to pay, but these scum do not deserve the discs back. Screw them, they CHEATED you.

Old 06-28-01, 02:52 AM

Has anyone contacted Sega about this site?
Old 06-28-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Latest segadeals message (full refund)

Here's what I got from segadeals. So no hassle in getting a refund!

Hello Steve,

We would like to inform you that as a matter of good gesture, we have refunded your money so we are not replacing the games we sent you before. If you wish you to place another order, you will be charged for each game. We can offer you following package deals:

1) BUY ANY 5 GAMES OF YOUR CHOICE AND GET ANY 2 FREE GAMES: $39.99

2) BUY ANY 10 GAMES OF YOUR CHOICE AND GET ANY 4 FREE GAMES: $55.00

3) BUY ANY 15 GAMES OF YOUR CHOICE AND GET ANY 6 FREE GAMES: $69.99

4) BUY ANY 20 GAMES OF YOUR CHOICE AND GET ANY 10 FREE GAMES: $89.00

We are sending you the list of games to choose from. Once you decide which package deal and games you want, we will send you a payment request.

Before placing your order please read this:

"We provide this service in good faith and will not be held accountable
for the purchaser's use. If you purchase a title from us which you do
not own the original, you must by law destroy the copy within 24 hours
of purchase having used the backup for evaluation purposes only. You
may keep the backup after this time only if you purchase the original
title. If you do not destroy the copy, you are in breach of copyright
law."

12-in-1 Sega Smash Pack
18 Wheeler
102 Dalmations
Aero Wings
Aero Wings 2: Air Strike
Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
Bangaioh
BANG! Gunship Elite!
Blue Stinger
Bust-A-Move 4
Caesar's Palace 2000
Cannon Spike
Capcom vs. SNK
Centipen
Championship Surfer
Chicken Run
Coaster Works
Confidential Mission
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX
Dead or Alive 2
Death Crimson
Demolition Racer: No Exit
Deep Fighter
Dino Crisis
Dinosaur
Disney Magical Racing Tour
Donald Duck: Goin Quackers
Dream Snes
ECW: Anarchy Rulz
ECW: Hardcore Revolution
ESPN International Track & Field
Evolution 1
Evolution 2
Exhibition of Speed
Expendable
F1 World Grand Prix
Ferarri 355 Challenge
Fighting Force 2
Frogger 2
Fur Fighter
Gauntlet Legends
Giant Killers
Grand Theft Auto 2
Gunbird 2
Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes
House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Incoming
I-Spy
Kao the Kangaroo
Langrisser Millenium
Looney Tunes Space Race
Mag Force Racing
Mars Matrix
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Marvel vs. Capcom
Max Steel
MDK 2
Moho
Mortal Kombat Gold
Ms. Pacman Maze Madness
NBA 2K1
NBA Showtime
NFL Blitz 2000
NFL Blitz 2001
NFL Quarterback Club 2001
Nightmare Creatures 2
Penpen TriIcelon
Plasma Sword
POD 2 Speedzone
Power Jet Racing
Powerstone
Prince of Persia
Project Justice (Rival Schools 2)
Psychic Force 2012
Q-Bert
Quake 3 Arena
Ready 2 Rumble
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Rainbow Six
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
Rival School 2
Sega Rally Championship
Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000
Seventh Cross: Evolution
Shadow Man
Shemue
Silent Scope
Silver
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure
Soul River
South Park: Chef's Luv Shack
Space Channel 5
Spec Ops: Omega Squad
Speed Devils
Speed Devils Online Racing
Spiderman
Starlancer
Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars Demolition
Star Wars Racer
Streetfighter II
Streetfighter Alpha 3
Streetfighter Double Impact
Streetfighter 3 Third Strike
Sydney Olympics 2000
Taxi 2
Tech Tomancer
Test Drive 6
Test Drive V-Rally
The Grinch
The Ring
Time Stalkers
TTokyo Extreme Racer
Tokyo Extreme Racer 2
Tokyo Highway 2
Tomb Raider 4
Tomb Raider 5
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Toy Story 2
UFFA Dream Soccer
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Unreal Tournament
Urban Chaos
Vanishing Point
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
Virtual Cop 3: Confidential Mission
Virtua Striker 2
Wacky Racers
Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire
Wild Metal
Worms: Armageddon
Zombie Revenge
Old 06-28-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Latest segadeals message (full refund)

If you purchase a title from us which you do
not own the original, you must by law destroy the copy within 24 hours of purchase having used the backup for evaluation purposes only. You may keep the backup after this time only if you purchase the original title. If you do not destroy the copy, you are in breach of copyright law."
Sounds like I wasn't the only one to fire off an e-mail to Sega.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.