Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Who is the Mole?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On that library scene again. That more than anything tells me Kathryn is not the mole. If she just let Jim's mistake go, it would have potentially ruined the challenge and it would not be traceable back to her as it was Jim's fault.

I still think Jim did that on purpose, as he knew Kathryn was next to it and would notice that he missed it. Maybe it was his way to test and see if Kathryn was the mole or not, knowing that if she was the mole she wouldn't say anything about him missing it. Since she did catch it, that ruled her out.

Or maybe Kathryn knew he was testing her, so she had to pick the book out or he'd know she was the mole. I don't think that was the case though.

Steve's continually passive role in most of the challenges leads me to think its him.
a) Screwing up the walkie-talkie thing by not answering.
b) Stalling a lot in the 'find charlie in the hotel' game.
c) Taking no active role in the Protect the base game
d) Random answers in the 3 question game.
e) Missing obvious things except for the bicycle in the 'escape from your room' game. He caught onto the bicycle thing extremely fast, almost too fast.

So he's either the mole or a complete idiot. The only challenge I remember him actually doing anything right in was in convincing the other 3 to get knifed/walk on the ledge/walk on fire. But none really seemed to need a whole lot convincing and he didn't really go out of his way to talk people into it... Did he play a key role in winning any other challenges that I missed?

I didn't see any of the shows prior to the walkie-talkie incident, so can't comment on them.
Old 02-28-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by xcheckers
Argument for why Kathryn is NOT the mole:

The Production Book

It would be totally unfair to dock the pot for something NO ONE in the group could control. No one else was in there with her. It's one thing to sabotage in front of someone else, but to do it when no one can do anything about it is very very unfair. (If she is the mole, they should put that money back in the pot)
I agree with this!

Also in the Library when Jim looked over the book, well why wouldn't Kathryn just let him make that "mistake" if she was the MOLE. Instead she jumped at it right after Jim said it wasn't there.

I'm still leaning towards Steve, because "mistakes" that Jim has made they have shown in the "voiceovers" while taking the quizes more so than Steve's. We have seen Steve's "mistakes" but usually not shown over and over again. And they wouldn't want to keep showing the Mole's sabotages, because they would want as many suprises as possible. That's what I'm looking forward to the most tonight is the "flashbacks" over the Mole's involvment.

And that is a GREAT POINT about Kathryn and the production book. If she was the MOLE it's unfair to penalize the group for something she did alone. She didn't sabotage a group challange in that case. She was just nosey and penalized the group (which if she was the MOLE, isn't really a part of the group).
Old 02-28-01, 02:36 PM

It can't be either Steve of Jim

With their little mini alliance, it's not possible for either Steve or Jim to be the mole. For instance, if Steve were the mole, Jim wouldn't have lasted past the first elimiation. Jim isn't going to be picking answers that indicate Steve is the mole. Barring ABC having had both of them blatently lie to the camera about there being an alliance, it has to be Kathryn.

I love this strategy though. By simply taking an 8 in 9 chance that somebody else is not the mole, teaming up with them allows you to pool your knowledge about the others. Plus you don't have to answer any questions that point to your partner being the mole. When Charlie was eliminated for instance, besides the fact that Jim and Steve were confident that Kathryn was the mole, if they weren't, they would be deciding between only Charlie and Kathryn being the mole, while Charlie would have to decide between three people, Kathryn, Steve, and Jim.
Old 02-28-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MY MONEY IS ON JIM ALSO!

Because the one episode with Kate, who got thrown off they automatically told Jim you are going next, cause he knew that Jim, would have all the answers right.

Then all of sudden, they switch back to, Kate and asked her. Boom all that suspense for the first person to go, then boom.
Old 02-28-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going with Kathryn here - the whole thing just seems to be set up so the least likely person will be the Mole. That's the problem with these shows on TV - they can be edited to show whatever they want and create any suspense necessary. I think that Steve is just playing dumb to throw Jim off of Kathryn. All the mistakes Steve makes are completely stupid and too obvious - especially for an undercover cop - you'd think he'd have semi-good investigative skills. Kathryn is a good actress, was able to form a friendship with Steve & Jim, and now is completely throwing them off.

There's really no way you can know for sure with the way that they edit the programs. We didn't even know 100% for sure that Jim was gay until last night - the network probably hid the fact from us (although he revealed it to the other people) so that they wouldn't lose the homophobes - sorry to say it, but it's probably true. I think the whole show would have been more interesting if they would have let him "come out of the closet" earlier in the show through the editing, but they didn't. It's really up for grabs who the mole could be, but I'm staying away from the obvious answer of Steve - 1) because it's too obvious and 2) because everyone was shocked when the real mole is revealed.

=Blake=
|

Old 02-28-01, 03:24 PM

Re: It can't be either Steve of Jim

Originally posted by guildda
With their little mini alliance, it's not possible for either Steve or Jim to be the mole. For instance, if Steve were the mole, Jim wouldn't have lasted past the first elimiation. Jim isn't going to be picking answers that indicate Steve is the mole. Barring ABC having had both of them blatently lie to the camera about there being an alliance, it has to be Kathryn.

I love this strategy though. By simply taking an 8 in 9 chance that somebody else is not the mole, teaming up with them allows you to pool your knowledge about the others. Plus you don't have to answer any questions that point to your partner being the mole. When Charlie was eliminated for instance, besides the fact that Jim and Steve were confident that Kathryn was the mole, if they weren't, they would be deciding between only Charlie and Kathryn being the mole, while Charlie would have to decide between three people, Kathryn, Steve, and Jim.
This was my theory and confusion for a while. The only thing you are forgetting (and I was for a while also) is that ofcourse the MOLE could lie to the cameras and DOES. Because while taking the quiz they all act like they don't know who it is and the voiceovers of them speaking all act like they aren't it. So ofcourse the MOLE lies to the cameras.
And that combined with (let's assume STEVE is the MOLE even though you can swith it with JIM either way the following scenario works that explains the "alliance" and them both still being around). So if STEVE is the MOLE, ofcourse he would align with somebody or say he would, why not it's good for the show because he would be LYING and tricking them (part of the job as the MOLE). So he aligns with JIM, however as you pointed out JIM would be eliminated because all his answers would be "non-STEVE". HOWEVER, a great scenario would be for something to trigger JIM to point to STEVE as being the MOLE for a sure thing. So he "aligns" with him basically to get "close" to your enemy. To learn about him and answer the questions right (because some of the questions are personal about the MOLE). So if JIM "knows" STEVE is the MOLE and pretends to align with him that way he gets all the info about him to become close friends and get an upperhand on answering the questions right. And it would result in why both are still in the game. This is what I hope happens.

If not than your theory (and my original one) is right with Kathryn and just having the "alliance" fight out with the most knowledge on who knows more about Kathryn "the mole" for the prize. But I changed my mind due to the last episode knowing the questions on the "quiz" are a lot of personal ones then they would need to gain as much knowledge on Kathryn as possible, and that didn't happen. They almost alienated her.

So many scenarios. And to think I found the first episode or two truely boring and frustrating and saying "what the hell is the point", just because you never saw any sabotages and such. Glad I stuck around with it because it truely has turned into a "smart" game!
Old 02-28-01, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by xcheckers
Argument for why Kathryn is NOT the mole:

The Production Book

It would be totally unfair to dock the pot for something NO ONE in the group could control. No one else was in there with her. It's one thing to sabotage in front of someone else, but to do it when no one can do anything about it is very very unfair. (If she is the mole, they should put that money back in the pot)
Actually, the production book is the REASON why I think she is the mole. I believe that was about 4 shows in when they did this, and I think it is ringer used to throw you off and make you think it's definitely not her. But since then I've always thought she was the one.

She's a great actor. She faked the fainting. She might have faked the crying in last night's episode, but she's so good I can't even tell. Besides, the production book wasn't part of the game. It was just a side thing. No one lost money because she looked.

If I'm casting the mole, I would pick someone with the most innocent look on them. The look she has in her eye is one of such innocence it has to be her. Steve is just a bumbling fool. There's no way an undercover cop would be cast as the mole.

It's Kathryn.

I have a side bet with my girlfriend, she think's it's Steve, if it is, I owe her a 1-hour massage, and if it's Kathryn, she has to go bowling with me and pay for it. If it's Jim, we both lose.
Old 02-28-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Blake

There's really no way you can know for sure with the way that they edit the programs. We didn't even know 100% for sure that Jim was gay until last night - the network probably hid the fact from us (although he revealed it to the other people) so that they wouldn't lose the homophobes - sorry to say it, but it's probably true. I think the whole show would have been more interesting if they would have let him "come out of the closet" earlier in the show through the editing, but they didn't.
Blake, you missed the show about 5 weeks in (6 people left) when each person had to guess how thier loved one would describe each member. If they were right, then their loved one would come out. Jim correctly picked how his ex described him, and his ex turned out to be a guy.
Old 02-28-01, 06:37 PM

I've thought it was Kathryn since the first episode. But I kind of hope it isnt her and she'll be the winner.
Old 02-28-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, I have thought more about this (er..was I supposed to work today?).

Kathryn. Yep. She is a good actress. Why not write in a little histrionics at the end to throw off anyone and then make the revealing all the better. Who would think her? She fainted? Is she was the mole, she would not have?

But the faint looked fake.

She seems otherwise intelligent. Quite a bit so in fact. And yet, she became irrational and emotional during the quiz challenge. They edited in bits to show you her becoming tired of it all and getting frustrated, but her thing about Jim didn't seem right. Kinda out of left field.

As I said earlier, the mole isn't necessarily the one doing the worst of the challenges. Above all it's TV and the number one priority is a good show. To have a challenge never get off the ground or fail right away is BAD tv.

Anyone in the business knows, most things are controlled and scripted. Sure you have no idea how things might go, but that would be why you have a mole, to make sure certain things happen.

And in the end, which is better TV....to have that one attacker reach the globe and smash it after the mole misses? Or to have the last defender hit him with a paintball? Smashing was better TV.

And the challenge on the streets last night. Without her acting up and adding the "Jim hates me" side of it, it would have been more boring.

And then....the hotel room. Check it out. That puzzle was good! But it was only good if they got somewhere with it. 3 clueless people in their hotel rooms, one laying in the dark IS NOT GOOD TV. WHY did she climb on the exercise bike and pedal? She knew she was on a time frame and had to get out. But wait, I will pedal the bike first. Hmmmmm...

And when the rest of them were totally clueless and went on a 30 min chatfest, she took more matters into her own hands, finding the codes. Having Steve give her the freakin paper so SHE could "find" the music. Because without any way for Jim to get out, what was the point? The intent was to have it at least be close, to get a distance in that challenge, to make it good TV. And she did.

Kathryn. My final answer.
Old 02-28-01, 07:21 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
freddy
Old 02-28-01, 08:04 PM

Well I came to post my take on the final show and just realized some of you haven't watched it YET!!!

So I won't say yet.

But ****** MINOR SPOILER**************

I thought the episode tonight was pretty good and was pleased with it. And wasn't it something how the winner basically was the difference between a few questions (hard questions) answered correctly?! The final 4 players all knew who the MOLE was, it was basically a fight for who answwered the most questions right.
AND. It's funny how CHARLIE predicted it first and basically gave it away to give others a chance. He should have conceled it more and thrown attention towards him.
He did a good job figuring out who did it, but not the other side of the game with keeping others away from the MOLE. Oh well. He just couldn't get the most HARD QUESTIONS right. And basically came down to the final 3 or 4 players to a memory test.
Old 02-28-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Saying that I should have stuck to my original impression of who the mole was doesn't matter now, since I had changed my guess during the last four shows. Oh, well. But I'm happy for the winner, too.

I was pleased with the result of the mole's identity, although those re-visited clues at the end of the show actually revealing who the person was a bit sneaky! Hopefully they won't do that next season to make it harder to figure out.

Kathryn's fainting was for real. Although she admitted she was prone to fainting spells, Charlie (in his chat transcript when he was eliminated) said he thought she fainted for real because she appeared pale and shaken.
Old 02-28-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Spoiler:
Damn, I hate being wrong. I am very suprised at who the mole is, but then again, Kathyrn is a lawyer, so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. I haven't seen the "clues yet, so I am looking forward to seeing that aspect of the show.
Old 02-28-01, 08:29 PM

There's really no way you can know for sure with the way that they edit the programs. We didn't even know 100% for sure that Jim was gay until last night - the network probably hid the fact from us (although he revealed it to the other people) so that they wouldn't lose the homophobes - sorry to say it, but it's probably true. I think the whole show would have been more interesting if they would have let him "come out of the closet" earlier in the show through the editing, but they didn't. It's really up for grabs who the mole could be, but I'm staying away from the obvious answer of Steve - 1) because it's too obvious and 2) because everyone was shocked when the real mole is revealed.
Not true. Partially repeating what rabbit77 already said, there were many instances where it was revealed - either directly or indirectly - that Jim was gay. ABC wasn't hiding anything at all. Some examples:

* In one of the first episodes, Jen said something in her confessional to the effect of, "Jim and I have been spending a lot of time together, and it's not just because we're both gay."
* As already mentioned, during the reunion game, Jim's "ex" was male.
* During the art challenge, Jim made the joke about being the "arty" one, and Charlie made the comment about the art being "fruity."
* And, as you said, last night there was the discussion about how if it were their last day on earth, Kathryn wouldn't pick Jim because of the sex issue.
Old 02-28-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I knew that Jim was gay after the episode where his "ex-partner" was the person to come to see him. I did not, however, know that Jennifer was gay also.
Old 02-28-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rabbit77
Blake, you missed the show about 5 weeks in (6 people left) when each person had to guess how thier loved one would describe each member. If they were right, then their loved one would come out. Jim correctly picked how his ex described him, and his ex turned out to be a guy.
I saw that episode, but both my brother and I missed what he said exactly - we guessed that it was his "friend" - somehow we missed "ex". But did they ever tell us Jennifer was gay? I must have missed that "coming out" also. But even though I missed those small parts, I didn't miss:
I'm going with Kathryn here - the whole thing just seems to be set up so the least likely person will be the Mole. That's the problem with these shows on TV - they can be edited to show whatever they want and create any suspense necessary. I think that Steve is just playing dumb to throw Jim off of Kathryn. All the mistakes Steve makes are completely stupid and too obvious - especially for an undercover cop - you'd think he'd have semi-good investigative skills. Kathryn is a good actress, was able to form a friendship with Steve & Jim, and now is completely throwing them off.

=Blake=
|

Old 02-28-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by randyc
Okay, I have thought more about this (er..was I supposed to work today?).

Kathryn. Yep. She is a good actress. Why not write in a little histrionics at the end to throw off anyone and then make the revealing all the better. Who would think her? She fainted? Is she was the mole, she would not have?

But the faint looked fake.

She seems otherwise intelligent. Quite a bit so in fact. And yet, she became irrational and emotional during the quiz challenge. They edited in bits to show you her becoming tired of it all and getting frustrated, but her thing about Jim didn't seem right. Kinda out of left field.

As I said earlier, the mole isn't necessarily the one doing the worst of the challenges. Above all it's TV and the number one priority is a good show. To have a challenge never get off the ground or fail right away is BAD tv.

Anyone in the business knows, most things are controlled and scripted. Sure you have no idea how things might go, but that would be why you have a mole, to make sure certain things happen.

And in the end, which is better TV....to have that one attacker reach the globe and smash it after the mole misses? Or to have the last defender hit him with a paintball? Smashing was better TV.

And the challenge on the streets last night. Without her acting up and adding the "Jim hates me" side of it, it would have been more boring.

And then....the hotel room. Check it out. That puzzle was good! But it was only good if they got somewhere with it. 3 clueless people in their hotel rooms, one laying in the dark IS NOT GOOD TV. WHY did she climb on the exercise bike and pedal? She knew she was on a time frame and had to get out. But wait, I will pedal the bike first. Hmmmmm...

And when the rest of them were totally clueless and went on a 30 min chatfest, she took more matters into her own hands, finding the codes. Having Steve give her the freakin paper so SHE could "find" the music. Because without any way for Jim to get out, what was the point? The intent was to have it at least be close, to get a distance in that challenge, to make it good TV. And she did.

Kathryn. My final answer.
Okay, other than the fainting being real, I thik I got pretty close. She was trying to keep the game going in the hotel and played them.

All in all, an interesting show. I would like to be on this one.
Old 02-28-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

All in all, an interesting show. I would like to be on this one. [/B]

http://abc.go.com/primetime/themole/...plication.html

I am going to apply.
Old 03-01-01, 12:43 AM

well, i assume everyone has seen it, but just to be sure...

Spoiler:
I am pleased with the result. I really thought Steve was the mole and Jim would win the money. Since Steve wasn't the Mole, he is either an idiot, or smart in trying to get people to think it was him. However, we now know everyone knew it was Kathryn, and Steve was still an idiot in last nights mission. I also thought it was kind of strange how Kathryn would just randomly go on the bike. Now looking back, she was trying to clue the guys in on the bike and the lights. I don't really understand her logic in trying to be the 'hero' of the hotel mission. Everyone knew it was Kathryn, and them completing the mission wouldn't have changed their minds (although Jim admitted he wasn't 100% sure). Also, the 'clues' were stupid. Mole has 4 letters, and Kathryn was the 4th introduced. Man, how did I miss that! Although she almost have it away with that 'pull the trigger thing'. Anyway, I thought it was good and I can't wait for the next season.
Old 03-01-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by gev115

I also thought it was kind of strange how Kathryn would just randomly go on the bike. Now looking back, she was trying to clue the guys in on the bike and the lights. I don't really understand her logic in trying to be the 'hero' of the hotel mission. Everyone knew it was Kathryn, and them completing the mission wouldn't have changed their minds (although Jim admitted he wasn't 100% sure). Also, the 'clues' were stupid. Mole has 4 letters, and Kathryn was the 4th introduced. Man, how did I miss that! Although she almost have it away with that 'pull the trigger thing'. Anyway, I thought it was good and I can't wait for the next season.
Agreed! I think she was still not being truthful about "being the hero"..I think the idea of trying to do what is best for TV and the show was the reason and makes far more sense. When she said the hero thing, I too thought "why? you know and they know you are the mole."

The 4 letters in Mole and her being 4th was very lame. Oh. But there was 7 letters in THE MOLE, which is what was on the sign. Right... That was a reach, like "hey! we need some clues that people might have picked up on. Review the entire show for those things." Now the trigger, I agree, that was a clue.

Signing up now Deftones!
Old 03-01-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Signing up now Deftones! [/B]
If we both make it, let's have a "secret" alliance!
Old 03-01-01, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was thinking when I *first* turned on the mole that it was Kathryn because, I joked to myself, they'd want the good looking girl to be on for as long as possible.