Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Old 08-28-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Hahahahahahaha ok so I haven't read this thread because I'm watching the ep but THAT'S what they did with Bronn, brilliant, apparently the Bronn actor and Headey had such a bad breakup that they had it built in into the contract that they wouldn't have ANY scenes together in GOT. The only spoilers I got coming into this was who was gonna be at the dragon pit (which really weren't spoilers at all, all the usual suspects) and someone I think here said Bronn and Cersei and I was like huh

Awesome how they did it
Old 08-28-17, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

I thought Nikolai Coster-Waldau had said in an interview that they would be filming in October. You would think they could be ready for fall next year. Anyway, is Jaime going North alone or with only Bronn or do you believe the Lannister Army will follow him? It was sort of confusing how that scene with him and Cersei ended and him riding out with the snow falling.
Old 08-28-17, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I thought Nikolai Coster-Waldau had said in an interview that they would be filming in October. You would think they could be ready for fall next year. Anyway, is Jaime going North alone or with only Bronn or do you believe the Lannister Army will follow him? It was sort of confusing how that scene with him and Cersei ended and him riding out with the snow falling.
It looked like he was alone, fulfilling his oath.
Old 08-28-17, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

With Theon Greyjoy.I sure Ramsey took the beans too when he cut off his frank.

Originally Posted by dstrauss
I didn't have closed captioning on, was Jon's real name "Aegon"? Thought that's what I heard.
Yes Aegon Targaryen
Old 08-28-17, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still not reading thread I'm right at the part where Littlefinger goes bye bye.

Sansa: How do you respond to these charges... <pause>
Me at the screen: Lord Baelish?
Sansa: Lord Baelish?
Me at the screen: BOOM!
Someone else talks.
Someone else talks.

Ok finished the ep without ANY spoiler whoohoo!!

So when I watch a show or movie I pause repeatedly throughout. I rarely sit through a viewing (unless at the theater). So TWO FREAKING minutes before Viserion's death I read about it here in the ep's thread (my fault I know). TWO FREAKING MINUTES before. I swore to myself I wouldn't that again with this ep

This ep delivered on all fronts.

Me at the screen as the door closed on J&D: Cha-chaka-bow-bow.

Anyone sad Viserion's wings had holes throughout them? That hurt me a little bit. And the Night King riding the dragon was majestic. Wonder if the Night King has Targaeryan blood?

So what's with the whole the named Jon the same name as Elia's son with Rhaegar? They are/were both named Aegon. I don't think the first Aegon was dead quite yet.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-28-17 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
an undead ice dragon? I'm pretty sure there's magic involved
Old 08-28-17, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
oh wow. What a cliffhanger. That ice dragon was fucking along with the mountain collapsing.

What was up with Theon getting balls of steel?

Hope Aegon enjoyed his time Aunt Dany.

Whenever the hell season 8 airs and they pick things up, I expect all hell to break lose.

The trial and execution of Littlefinger was badass. Arya was the boss.
Great episode. Ironically, it's because Theon doesn't have balls (of steel) that he won the fight and took over the Iron islands men.
Old 08-28-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Having some time to think on the episode, here are a few random thoughts:

-Cersei/Tyrion meeting was the best part of the episode as it was able to show their love/hate for each other, but mostly hate.

-Bronn gets all the great lines in the show!

-It was very eerie to watch ALL of the main characters finally together after watching 7 seasons. I loved how they would pan to each character and they would be looking around suspicious of anything because of the deep untrust.

-To watch that Dragon take down the wall, and seeing how Cersei played everyone, you realize that last weeks battle against the dead were all for nothing.
Old 08-28-17, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Okay someone help me out here. Bran said Jon's real last name would be Sand. Why would that be. I thought Targaryen's didn't have bastards so wouldn't he be a Targaryen from birth or at the very least still a Snow because his mom was a Stark.
Old 08-28-17, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 903 Likes on 667 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority with this one. Total fan service and plot devises; no original story telling. Everything we saw could (and has) been predicted. I guess when they only have 7 episodes left to wrap up, this is what we end up with.
Old 08-28-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
Okay someone help me out here. Bran said Jon's real last name would be Sand. Why would that be. I thought Targaryen's didn't have bastards so wouldn't he be a Targaryen from birth or at the very least still a Snow because his mom was a Stark.
Because he was born in Dorne. And so far we've only heard that Missandei's people don't do bastards because they don't have the entity of marriage. Every Targaryen progeny we've encountered so far has been a product of a marriage.

Ellaria Sand: "Sex". A simple word for a simple act. And so, of course, men complicate it. A child born to a wife is a gift from the gods. A child born to a mistress or an obedient servant girl is a "bastard", unworthy of its father's name. So instead they call the children after the land where they were born: "Flowers" in the Reach and "Hill" in the Westerlands, "Stone" in the Vale and "Storm" in the Stormlands, "Rivers" in the Riverlands and "Waters" in the Crownlands, "Pyke" in the Iron Islands, "Snow" in The North, and in Dorne "Sand".
Bran didn't think he was a Targaryen from birth because he didn't know about the annulment and new marriage. Bran thought that Rhaegar got it on with Lyanna while still married to Elia, until Sam told him to look through his archives for the wedding ceremony.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-28-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 06:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Tyrion didn't look happy about Jon & Dany hooking up.
You should have seen this guy's reaction:

Old 08-28-17, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I have to point out that Bran gave them most of the info used against Littlefinger, and Jamie, who pushed him out the window looks to be headed to Winterfell!
I hope Bran becomes an audience surrogate for that scene: "I know you pushed me out a window, but you've become one of my favorites over the last six seasons."
Old 08-28-17, 06:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No whining this time around, gents? Man, you guys were a pain in the ass last week.
Oh, there were a lot of weak moments to go with the good, but I think a lot of us have just decided to resign ourselves to that and enjoy the good parts.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
-It was very eerie to watch ALL of the main characters finally together after watching 7 seasons. I loved how they would pan to each character and they would be looking around suspicious of anything because of the deep untrust.
This from the "Sergio Leone cut":

Old 08-28-17, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Because he was born in Dorne. And so far we've only heard that Missandei's people don't do bastards because they don't have the entity of marriage. Every Targaryen progeny we've encountered so far has been a product of a marriage.

Bran didn't think he was a Targaryen from birth because he didn't know about the annulment and new marriage. Bran thought that Rhaegar got it on with Lyanna while still married to Elia, until Sam told him to look through his archives for the wedding ceremony.
But he was always born in Dorne, or at least we always knew he wasn't born in Winterfell. Catelyn said in season 1 that Ned went south to fight a war and came back with a bastard son.
Old 08-28-17, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

One possible ramification of offing Littlefinger this early, is that on the surface it doesn't give Sansa much to do next year. Does she go after Cersei? Does she turn against Ae-Jon?
Old 08-28-17, 06:58 AM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

I thought Bran's info dump over Dany and Jon sleeping together was well done, but I really feel like they forced their relationship with only 5 episodes together. This is why I wish they had at least a full season this year to develop that relationship more.
Old 08-28-17, 06:59 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E6XNRVKP-es" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-28-17, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
This is the one thing that I didn't find predictable. I figured Jamie would stick with Cersei till the end, when he kills her.
I think he's defecting. He'll go to Winterfell, join Jon and Dany against the White Walkers'
Be interesting to see Jamie and whats his name(three eyed raven) meet.
Wonder if he will fight with Jon and Dany against Cersei's golden mercenary army or if he's just honoring his word to help against White Walkers and will then switch back to Cersei's side because of family.
Old 08-28-17, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
A much-needed redemption after last week's travesty. Glad to see that Arya and Sansa were secretly plotting (I'm sure Benioff and Weiss were having a chuckle at the Internet bitching about their plotline).
They are welcome to chuckle all they want, but the complaints about last week's writing were not mitigated at all by this week's episode. If Arya and Sansa were secretly plotting all along, the scene last week makes even less sense than it did before.

We kind of have to assume, at this point, that Arya was aware the whole time and that Sansa figured it out from the manner in which Arya handed the dagger to her at the end of their last conversation last week. Even then, that would necessitate them (or at least Arya) believing that their conversation in Arya's room were being eavesdropped upon by Littlefinger. The writers did not give us any indication to think that was the case.

I get it. They wanted to set up the big, "how do you answer to these charges...Lord Baelish?" gasp moment, but this is still some pretty shoddy writing to get us there.
Old 08-28-17, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Oh, and I have to say I haven't been as impressed with him this year. He was better the first couple seasons, but he's been reduced to just his hissy voice at Sansa or Arya and not particularly great. I enjoyed watching him try to weasel his way out of a hole tonight though.
Agreed. Littlefinger had turned into a cartoon by the end. The problem with all of the political maneuvering at this point in the show is that it had become more or less moot. Even if he had been able to turn Sansa, I'm not sure what that would have gotten him. As such, I found his death to be a bit underwhelming. It didn't really change anything except wrap up the awkwardly forced Sansa/Arya drama from the last couple of weeks. It was also disappointing that he didn't end up dying as a result of some grave mistake on his part like so many other characters on this show. The psychic little brother just showed up and that was that.
Old 08-28-17, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
This is the one thing that I didn't find predictable. I figured Jamie would stick with Cersei till the end, when he kills her.
If this is actually what happens, thanks for the spoiler tags.
Old 08-28-17, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel
If this is actually what happens, thanks for the spoiler tags.
How can it be a spoiler? It's his guess. People have been speculating for a while that he would have to relive his "kill the mad king" choice over again.
Old 08-28-17, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
One possible ramification of offing Littlefinger this early, is that on the surface it doesn't give Sansa much to do next year. Does she go after Cersei? Does she turn against Ae-Jon?
On the contrary.

Jon, Dany et al are on a boat just north of King's landing. A good distance away from Winterfell.

The night king (and his army) just breached the wall. He's on a dragon. They will hit winterfell LONG before the others get there.

She's going to be VERY busy.
Old 08-28-17, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
But he was always born in Dorne, or at least we always knew he wasn't born in Winterfell. Catelyn said in season 1 that Ned went south to fight a war and came back with a bastard son.
I wonder if this was just an error. Given his "Snow" name you would assume it would take the location of the Father regardless of where conceived & born. That's the indication we had anyway. Nobody has previously changed the last name simply by shifting locality. I'm no GoT historian so I'm not sure if Prince Rhaegar was at some point put in as ruler of Dorne or not. That would be an explanation for Bran shifting to Sand. It's possible that they just didn't want to confuse the audience and tried to make it simple, too.

Originally Posted by jfoobar
They are welcome to chuckle all they want, but the complaints about last week's writing were not mitigated at all by this week's episode. If Arya and Sansa were secretly plotting all along, the scene last week makes even less sense than it did before.

We kind of have to assume, at this point, that Arya was aware the whole time and that Sansa figured it out from the manner in which Arya handed the dagger to her at the end of their last conversation last week. Even then, that would necessitate them (or at least Arya) believing that their conversation in Arya's room were being eavesdropped upon by Littlefinger. The writers did not give us any indication to think that was the case.

I get it. They wanted to set up the big, "how do you answer to these charges...Lord Baelish?" gasp moment, but this is still some pretty shoddy writing to get us there.
I bolded what I believe was the key part. I think the coming together of the Stark children occurs at some point -after- this scene. Sansa acknowledged she was a slow learner. Arya knew what was up but Sansa didn't until Arya turns over the dagger and tells her seemingly to go think on things.

Not the cleanest of writing but I think it works.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.