Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Old 08-22-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Dvdtalk...home of frustrated EGOT Script Writers.
Old 08-22-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 806 Likes on 595 Posts

I have a complaint for another completely different reason. Why haven't we seen Ghost in over a season? I know they cut him out of Battle of the Bastards due to budget concerns, but they should have included him in that episode and this episode and spent the money. HBO makes a ton of money due to this show alone. It's a huge plot hole. It would almost have better for Bran to warg into ghost and have Ghost with a sled come to rescue Jon.
Old 08-22-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I have a complaint for another completely different reason. Why haven't we seen Ghost in over a season? I know they cut him out of Battle of the Bastards due to budget concerns, but they should have included him in that episode and this episode and spent the money. HBO makes a ton of money due to this show alone. It's a huge plot hole. It would almost have better for Bran to warg into ghost and have Ghost with a sled come to rescue Jon.
It still seems like a budget thing. There was a scene shot with Jon/Ghost when he left for Dragonstone, but was cut. I agree it is disappointing we haven't seen more of Ghost.

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-...s-ghost-2017-7
Old 08-22-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The bear was likely an homage to the Fist of the First Men battle in book 3 which featured a zombie bear. They never showed the attack in the show, so I never thought we'd see a bear wight. Probably the highlight of last night's episode for me.
According to Beinoff and Weiss, they were pushing to for a zombie bear scene for the last four seasons, but was denied due to budget. It is kind of fitting that Jorah was the one to give the final killing blow to the bear, the sigil of his house.
Old 08-22-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 806 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
It still seems like a budget thing. There was a scene shot with Jon/Ghost when he left for Dragonstone, but was cut. I agree it is disappointing we haven't seen more of Ghost.

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-...s-ghost-2017-7
I still think they should spend the money especially since it's pretty near impossible to get HBO for less than $15 a month. You used to be able to get it on special for $10 a month a couple years ago, but I have been unsuccessful the last few years.
Old 08-22-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Old 08-22-17, 07:56 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

While I am usually partial to redheads, blonde Sophie is much hotter than redhead Sansa.
Old 08-22-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I don't disagree with the article from the Weekly's claim about what's weakening the series at all, but I wouldn't say it's become terrible. It's still entertaining, but it used to be so much more. This series seems to have fallen into the same rut that happens with other properties once they are proven a success. I am thinking that with the final season approaching, D&D are giving us some last moments of glory for our favorite characters before most likely die. If next season finds all remaining members of the Suicide Squad/Seven Samurai/whatever in tact, then I will agree it became terrible.

I think that in the end
Spoiler:
either Dany or Jon will be ruler of Westeros, but only because one of the two is dead. A bittersweet ending would find them defeating the Night King and Cersei, doing the deed, then discovering afterward that they are aunt and nephew. This leads to one of them committing suicide or if at nothing else, one goes into a self imposed exile (this sounds like Jon) .
Old 08-22-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Bad writing. Why couldn't they just be sitting on a couch?
Old 08-22-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So will Euron still want to marry Cersei if he knows she is pregnant?
Old 08-22-17, 09:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So will Euron still want to marry Cersei if he knows she is pregnant?
My FWB thinks that Cersei is faking the pregnancy to keep Jaimie on her side, thinking that he is more likely to stay with her if he thinks they might have an offspring that can continue the Lannister name after them.
Old 08-22-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well to my complete lack of surprise, the most vocal defenders of this episode are non book readers. That can't be a coincidence.

At least there's a handful who realize bad and nonsensical writing when they see it and won't let it slide. It amazes me that the things that made the show so good in the first place...the tightly woven plots, the dialogue, that anyone can die...are not important (at least anymore) to alot of people. They just want action and spectacle. How the hell did these people enjoy the early seasons?
Old 08-22-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Well to my complete lack of surprise, the most vocal defenders of this episode are non book readers. That can't be a coincidence.

At least there's a handful who realize bad and nonsensical writing when they see it and won't let it slide. It amazes me that the things that made the show so good in the first place...the tightly woven plots, the dialogue, that anyone can die...are not important (at least anymore) to alot of people. They just want action and spectacle. How the hell did these people enjoy the early seasons?
I have a co-worker that is ranting about this season and how the books would never be this bad. I reminded him that he quit on book four because he hated the glacial pace. This week's episode was definitely more style than substance, but for me the show jumped the shark with The Battle of the Bastards. The plot armor and sloppy writing/editing made it the worst episode for me, to the point that I couldn't even enjoy Ramsay's defeat.
Old 08-22-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Or why not have Drogon turn his head and blast the Knight King and his Frozen Posse? Threat DONE, go fight Cersi, Aunt and Nephew fuck, have little Jons and Danys. CREDIT ROLL
Aren't White Walkers resistant/impervious to fire? When the Night King walked through the flames in this episode, they parted/dissipated for him and we've seen that before, if I recall. The dragons can incinerate Wights all day long, but it's unclear to me if their fire is a threat to the White Walkers. So far the only things we've ever seen damage or defeat a White Walker are dragonglass and Valyrian steel...
Old 08-22-17, 11:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Well to my complete lack of surprise, the most vocal defenders of this episode are non book readers.
Yeah, what would have helped this episode was 100 pages of recipes and introducing of new characters.
Old 08-22-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How are we supposed to know a day had passed if they don't show Jon breaking his fast?
Old 08-22-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, what would have helped this episode was 100 pages of recipes and introducing of new characters.

Yet you still spent dozens of hours reading the thousands of pages that comprise the book series, and are without a doubt going to buy Winds of Winter the day it comes out. Who spends that much time doing something they don't enjoy?
Old 08-22-17, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that the show never reached the greatness of the first three books, while seasons 6 and 7 are seriously flawed, the drop in quality hasn't been as severe as the disparity between AFFC/ADWD and the first three novels. Whereas the pacing got too slow in those books, the show goes the opposite direction by making things move too quickly, which lessens the impact a lot of these moments should have had(looking at Olenna's death especially) and almost completely eliminates character development. Overall I appreciate different things about the books and the show, and choose to focus more on positive elements of each rather than the weak, even though both of them have disappointed me at times.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 08-22-17 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yet you still spent dozens of hours reading the thousands of pages that comprise the book series, and are without a doubt going to buy Winds of Winter the day it comes out. Who spends that much time doing something they don't enjoy?
Yeah, I personally skimmed over a bunch of stuff in the books. The Dorne stuff? Skipped. The Ironborn stuff? Skipped. So a truncated version of the story is fine by me.
And at least I can enjoy the show,
Old 08-23-17, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

To those complaining about Benjen Stark reappearing - why wouldn't he appear? You guys make it seem like he wasn't seen since the first season (his character has been in 7 episodes since season 1) when in fact he was in last season's episodes. Hell, he came to the rescue there, as well, and explained what happened and how he lives between the world of the living and dead, but fights for the living. Some of you just want to complain just to complain. Don't be a fucking mouth breather.
Old 08-23-17, 01:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bold jape!
Old 08-23-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That's what's so funny about people saying GRRM would never be this bad. I flew through the first 3 books and I don't even read books. AFFC I didn't even finished and have never went back. The plots set up in the last 2 books I've heard people say that GRRM has written himself into a corner in many respects. Honestly, at this point I kind of doubt the books come out or if he could even complete the saga in 2 books anyway.
Old 08-23-17, 02:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm saving my complaints for when the statue of liberty is found half buried in the snow north of the wall.
At least that would finally satisfy us book readers.

Old 08-23-17, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
...But what's MORE DRAMATIC?
Not introducing Gendry until this episode, during which he pops up in the middle of the frozen lake in the Flying Sub and saves the Fellowship?

Btw...

Two theories:

1. D&D had a 10-episode Season 7 planned out, but HBO convinced them to add five more and pad out the story to stretch into two "seasons." They agreed, thinking it would give them more time to flesh out the story (especially with HBO assurances of greater budget for CGI F/X, etc.), but the results have been disappointing, and the new plotlines didn't mesh with the original as well as expected (or hoped). That could be another reason that some characters who should have died are still around (for now).

2. Martin hasn't been much help (if any) since he realizes that delaying the books until the show is finished will only serve to increase interest in seeing "the official" end of the saga...which may be extended to additional books than originally planned. In addition, Martin can see what plotlines work out best and get a good fan reception and can adjust the story accordingly, jettisoning anything from the outline he gave D&D beforehand.
Old 08-23-17, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
1. D&D had a 10-episode Season 7 planned out, but HBO convinced them to add five more and pad out the story to stretch into two "seasons." They agreed, thinking it would give them more time to flesh out the story (especially with HBO assurances of greater budget for CGI F/X, etc.), but the results have been disappointing, and the new plotlines didn't mesh with the original as well as expected (or hoped). That could be another reason that some characters who should have died are still around (for now).
I see this as the most likely scenario.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.