Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E04) -- "The Spoils of War" -- 8/6/17

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E04) -- "The Spoils of War" -- 8/6/17

Wow! I just finished the episode. Great battle! (It would be smarter if Dany and her dragon smoked them from behind, but that would look too easy. They have to make it a bit harder for them.) Also, great use of showing the effect of using just one dragon in a battle. You can see why everyone bent the knee when the Targaryens invaded Westeros back in the day.

They keep surprising me with big battles at the end of the episode. I didn't see the Greyjoy vs Greyjoy battle coming either. I think it was either Bronn or Dickon that saved Jamie. I also thought the Jon and Dany had decent chemistry this episode. It seemed like their chemistry improved quite a bit from the previous episode. Ser Davos is trying to suggest a union between the two of them, but they're both way too concentrated on war right now....
Old 08-06-17, 11:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aren't Jon and Danny actually cousins or related pretty closely? I realize that's too big of a deal for Dany's family, but it might be to Jon.

Also was Dickon's head CGI'ed onto another actor's body? It looked like it was on a swivel.
Old 08-06-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Aren't Jon and Danny actually cousins or related pretty closely? I realize that's too big of a deal for Dany's family, but it might be to Jon.

Also was Dickon's head CGI'ed onto another actor's body? It looked like it was on a swivel.
They would be Aunt and Nephew. Dany is the sister of Jon's dad. The only people who know are Bran and Howland Reed.
Old 08-06-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Damn... Benioff and Weiss letting Sunny return the favor.
I don't know what that means.

Loved so many things with this episode. Heart was pounding hard there at the end. Davos drops a Less/Fewer, then asks if he can switch sides. Open mic night on Dragonstone.
Loved the Aria/Sansa reunion, the Aria/Brianne sparring session, the Jon/Dany cave scene. Admired the wheelchair invention getting the briefest of mention. Bran needs to go crawl into a tree now - he creeps me out. Hope (and expect) to see Meera reunite with her family and get to meet her dad, witness to the Tower of Joy incident.
Old 08-06-17, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
That's kind of a big stretch considering the assassin came right away when he was in a coma and Little Finger was at King's Landing.

I think the assassin was sent by Cersei.
But Bran knows fucking all. That was the point of the Chaos is a Ladder line. Plus they have all the raven messages transcribed and that made Littlefinger flinch last week. Gonna be significant.
Why do you think Littlefinger really gave that priceless dagger to Bran?
Old 08-06-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Was Jaime really saved though? seemed he sank quite deep into the water and would be hard to pull out with the armor he was wearing. Bronn wearing leather would be much easier to get out. I fully expect Jaime to be alive next episode but seems like would be a hard sell.
Old 08-07-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Jamie sinking was similar to the scene with Tyrion and Jorah. Tyrion with his hands tied was getting pulled down deeper and deeper by a stone man then it faded to black, next scene he's sitting on the beach rescued by Jorah.

Also Bronn will not let Jamie die till he gets his fucking castle.
Old 08-07-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Is that clarified in the series? In the books, yes, it was an almost random act of cruelty committed by Joffrey that LF used to his advantage after the fact.
No, it has never been solved on the show. I think they reintroduced the dagger purely as a mechanism to put a Valerian steel weapon in Arya's hands.

I know that no one wanted Bronn to die, but I thought his surviving that was a bit of a cop out on what was otherwise a fantastic sequence.
Old 08-07-17, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I am guessing that
Spoiler:
Missandei reminds Davos of someone he once knew when he was a smuggler in the Free Cities. That is why he asked where she was from and her backstory.
Maury Povich: Ser Davos, you are the father!
Old 08-07-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
My predict.... Arya will kill Littlefinger.

I think Bran knew Littlefinger sent assassin to kill Bran and Bran foreseen Arya kill Littlefinger - with that knife.
Except of course Littefinger DID NOT send the assassin.
Old 08-07-17, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Except of course Littefinger DID NOT send the assassin.
The show has never declared that (except by Littlefinger himself). In fact, Littlefinger using that dagger specifically to frame Tyrion in the eyes of Cat would be exactly what he needed to start the war between the Lannisters and Starks -- the first rung on the Ladder of Chaos.
Old 08-07-17, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No, it has never been solved on the show. I think they reintroduced the dagger purely as a mechanism to put a Valerian steel weapon in Arya's hands.

I know that no one wanted Bronn to die, but I thought his surviving that was a bit of a cop out on what was otherwise a fantastic sequence.
I thought it was. I thought there was a throwaway line or 2 from Tyrion to Joffrey in one scene around season 3 or so.

Cool episode.

Great conflict of interest with Bronn and the scorpion wanting neither the dragon to get killed nor Bronn or Jamie for that matter.

The visual fidelity of that scene was beyond many feature movies. They clearly used different (i am assuming higher resolution) cameras for that scene.
Old 08-07-17, 12:48 AM

Mets starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard had a cameo as a member of the Lannister army. They may not be great in battle but they do a good job of recruiting celebrities.

http://sports.nbcsports.com/2017/08/...f:nbcnews:text
Old 08-07-17, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I thought it was. I thought there was a throwaway line or 2 from Tyrion to Joffrey in one scene around season 3 or so.

Cool episode.

Great conflict of interest with Bronn and the scorpion wanting neither the dragon to get killed nor Bronn or Jamie for that matter.

The visual fidelity of that scene was beyond many feature movies. They clearly used different (i am assuming higher resolution) cameras for that scene.

That's exactly right. Bronn was never aiming for the dragon's head -- just a wounding.
Old 08-07-17, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I think I came.
I know I did.
Old 08-07-17, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

So what was Tyrion saying to Jaime as he charged the dragon?

"Hurry, you fool" or "Flee, you fool?" I watched it at a friend's house and didn't put the closed captioning on.
Old 08-07-17, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I guess Bron got Euron's God-mode powers?

He survives a dothraki horde. okay...
He survives dragonfire. hmm.
He injures a dragon. Wait, what?
He surives dragonfire again while saving another person from dragonfire. Oh, fuck off already!

I like Bron but that shit had me rolling my eyes.
Old 08-07-17, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The battle was fucking awesome! How many seasons have we been waiting for dragons to blow up the Lannisters? I agree that I was hoping the dragon would barbecue all the shield lines and let the Dothraki wipe up the mess, but I guess we had to see that they had the power to get through it themselves, albeit with losses.

After the first miss, I thought Dany would be more cautious approaching the scorpion, but maybe she just underestimated it. Or I thought that Tyrion would spot it and have it taken out.

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Was Jaime really saved though? seemed he sank quite deep into the water and would be hard to pull out with the armor he was wearing. Bronn wearing leather would be much easier to get out. I fully expect Jaime to be alive next episode but seems like would be a hard sell.
The fire savior was intentionally unidentifiable, but it couldn't be anyone other than Bronn or Dickon. Jaime was sinking fast, but I expect it to be a Walking Dead kind of fakeout.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's exactly right. Bronn was never aiming for the dragon's head -- just a wounding.
I'll have to rewatch that scene. Why wouldn't he have wanted to kill the dragon?

So what was Tyrion saying to Jaime as he charged the dragon?

"Hurry, you fool" or "Flee, you fool?" I watched it at a friend's house and didn't put the closed captioning on.
It was along the lines of "Flee, you fool!" in hopes that Jaime would abandon the battle instead of getting killed.
Old 08-07-17, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
They would be Aunt and Nephew. Dany is the sister of Jon's dad.
They are Aunt/Nephew and cousins (Aerys II married his own sister Rhaella).

--
Old 08-07-17, 02:42 AM
Banned

Season 2, "The Old Gods and the New". It is more blatant in the books that Joffrey was directly responsible, yeah.

--
Old 08-07-17, 02:42 AM
Banned

Nonsense.

--
Old 08-07-17, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Why are people hinting on this thread that Bronn didn't want to kill Drogon, just wound him?

Bran is an ass.
Old 08-07-17, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Unless you don't like seeing how the sausage is made, the making of the loot train scene featurette is substantial and interesting.

Loved how they set up the attack with Jaime and Bronn hearing the hooves from afar. Though if Dany's army needs food, should they not have blown up all the wagons?

Loved the less/fewer line.

Last edited by davidh777; 08-07-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I've believed all along that Ayra is going to kill The Mountain. She's going to use that same fancy move to slam the dagger into the eye slit of his face mask.
Old 08-07-17, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Man, I was on the edge of my seat and when it ended I so wasn't ready for it to be over. How do they have me rooting for both sides during that battle? I gasped when the dragon was shot, I was praying Bronn wasn't a goner, I was hoping Jamie didn't make it to Dany, yet I didn't want him to die. This may have been my favorite GoT episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.