Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E04) -- "The Spoils of War" -- 8/6/17

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E04) -- "The Spoils of War" -- 8/6/17

Tyrion will point to Bronn and be like "He used to work for me", and Daenerys will be like "Fucking shit dude, how is it that you have a history with every guy we meet?"
Old 08-08-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Not really related to this ep., but I re-watched Euron's attack scene with the music from the "claasic" below playing. Surprisingly effective...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/umwZ8qVorwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I kind of agree that Bronn should have died, but I'm ok that he didn't. That said, if Bronn, Jamie, and Dickon aren't in chains as prisoners next episode, and have managed to somehow escape, that would be utterly ridiculous.

If they are in chains, then we get a great Bronn-Tyrion-Jamie reunion!
Not that I like cheap gags, but I would love it if Dickon has to introduce himself and we see Dany, Tyrion, and whomever else trying to fight back laughter.
Old 08-08-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Not really related to this ep., but I re-watched Euron's attack scene with the music from the "claasic" below playing. Surprisingly effective...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/umwZ8qVorwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Instruments of Destruction.
Old 08-08-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Not that I like cheap gags, but I would love it if Dickon has to introduce himself and we see Dany, Tyrion, and whomever else trying to fight back laughter.
I would like to introduce my vewy gweat fwiend Lickon Dickon. He commands a cwack legion and wanks has high as any in the Weach.
Old 08-08-17, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised at how many people were genuinely torn between Jaime/Bronn and Dany/Drogon. I hope Dany roasts the Lannisters.
Old 08-08-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, I was definitely hoping that Bronn would have killed that dragon so I guess I was rooting against Dany.
Old 08-08-17, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I saw papa Tarly melting away. He was the soldier who was standing and took off his helmet while on fire.
Anybody else think it was him? He was clearly around during the start of the attack.
Old 08-08-17, 09:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

that would be so cool if Jaime and Tyrion encountered one another again. i mean it is his brother who saved his life...

would also love to see a nice Jorah/Dany reunion...
Old 08-08-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
I thought I saw papa Tarly melting away. He was the soldier who was standing and took off his helmet while on fire.
Anybody else think it was him? He was clearly around during the start of the attack.
Yes, it certainly appeared to be the elder Tarly to me.
Old 08-08-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear to god if this nuclear annihilation happens before the finale is shown, a lot of people are going to be pissed!
Old 08-09-17, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm surprised at how many people were genuinely torn between Jaime/Bronn and Dany/Drogon. I hope Dany roasts the Lannisters.
Ugh. Put me in the camp who think Dany is the worst. And while I certainly understand why people like the dragons, I've never totally understood why some get SO excited about them.
Old 08-09-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am with the Dany is the worst camp. The character has always felt entitled and got where she has without actually having to do much at all. Committing suicide only to find you are impervious to fire. Having three pet dragons. Other characters have really been put through the ringer and are justified in having revenge and a happy ending. Dany not so much.

Yeah, i would actually love for her to get killed, but at this point it seems impossible as it would piss off the masses.
Old 08-09-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I am with the Dany is the worst camp. The character has always felt entitled and got where she has without actually having to do much at all. Committing suicide only to find you are impervious to fire. Having three pet dragons. Other characters have really been put through the ringer and are justified in having revenge and a happy ending. Dany not so much.

Yeah, i would actually love for her to get killed, but at this point it seems impossible as it would piss off the masses.
I think Dany has had her fair share of trouble. Season 1 pretty much sucked for her, not to mention everything that happened in the lead up. I still don't like her though. My favorite parts of this season have been every time Jon refuses to "bend the knee." I will admit that a big part of it is Emilia Clarke. Can't say I'm a fan.
Old 08-09-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I liked Dany in the books but Emilia is probably the weakest actor on the show and her delivery often feels clunky and forced. The show has cut out all of the vulnerable and nuanced moments that helped balance out her stubborn characteristics in the books, so she's lacking depth and makes it harder to be invested in her character. Not to mention she's flirting with some Mad Queen tendencies and it's kind of a downer to see an army of people set on fire by a beast they don't stand a chance against. I was definitely rooting for Jaime and Bronn, especially since Dany destroyed the food supplies she admitted she needed just a couple minutes prior.
Old 08-09-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This scene makes me laugh.

I also think there was a Rickon but Jaime killed him in an earlier season.
Old 08-09-17, 09:46 AM

She was sold, by her brother, and I believe raped and shunned by the Dothraki for some time. I think she's been through stuff...
Old 08-09-17, 09:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dany's definitely been through some shit. Don't see how a person could watch this show from the beginning and think otherwise. And most of the time she doesn't use dragons to get out of it.
Old 08-09-17, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Dany's definitely been through some shit. Don't see how a person could watch this show from the beginning and think otherwise. And most of the time she doesn't use dragons to get out of it.
Yeah, I think this was the first time she used them in battle. She intimadated, burned a few folks, but nothing yet on this scale. I do think Drogon's wound might be worse then it looked...
Old 08-09-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

She basically just gave a whole speech about all the shit she went through too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pGmkCTh7HEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-09-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Yes, it certainly appeared to be the elder Tarly to me.
I thought it might be as well but I was watching with others who get annoyed when I rewind to re-watch something.

And wasn't he supposed to be the great military strategist of the Lannister side? His death would likely change the conduct of the war. Also it would put Dickon in charge of the Tarlys, and they are playing him up to be a decent guy.
Old 08-09-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

You're not watching the same show we are, it seems?

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I liked Dany in the books but Emilia is probably the weakest actor on the show and her delivery often feels clunky and forced. The show has cut out all of the vulnerable and nuanced moments that helped balance out her stubborn characteristics in the books, so she's lacking depth and makes it harder to be invested in her character. Not to mention she's flirting with some Mad Queen tendencies and it's kind of a downer to see an army of people set on fire by a beast they don't stand a chance against. I was definitely rooting for Jaime and Bronn, especially since Dany destroyed the food supplies she admitted she needed just a couple minutes prior.
This I agree with, generally, not a fan of the actress. And no doubt she has a little Mad Queen in her, that's surely the point, Mad Queen vs Mad Queen. That said, I was definitely rooting against Cersei, which (sort of) means against Jamie and Bronn.
Old 08-09-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
She was sold, by her brother, and I believe raped and shunned by the Dothraki for some time. I think she's been through stuff...
I know she said that, and at the time I was thinking : When was she raped? I don't recall that at all. She got married to someone she didn't know and he consummated the marriage brutally but she came to love him and I don't recall another non-consensual sexual encounter though the soon-to-be burned-to-a crisp Dothraki leaders certainly planned on taking turns on her in the widow's hut.

And speaking of that : I do wonder how she managed to win the lifetime loyalty of thousands of fierce warriors raised for generations in a Patriarchal society simply by burning up all their chieftains. I get that they might be in awe of her and fear her, but conflagration murder of all one's leaders by immolation doesn't normally engender fierce devotion, even with demonstration of unique fireproofing abilities.
Old 08-09-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I know she said that, and at the time I was thinking : When was she raped? I don't recall that at all. She got married to someone she didn't know and he consummated the marriage brutally but she came to love him and I don't recall another non-consensual sexual encounter though the soon-to-be burned-to-a crisp Dothraki leaders certainly planned on taking turns on her in the widow's hut.

And speaking of that : I do wonder how she managed to win the lifetime loyalty of thousands of fierce warriors raised for generations in a Patriarchal society simply by burning up all their chieftains. I get that they might be in awe of her and fear her, but conflagration murder of all one's leaders by immolation doesn't normally engender fierce devotion, even with demonstration of unique fireproofing abilities.
Are you suggesting that the sex that first time was consensual because she was forcibly married to him?
Old 08-09-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Are you suggesting that the sex that first time was consensual because she was forcibly married to him?
I'd have to watch the scene, but I don't think it was a rape scene in the same way Sansa was. The fact that she actively sought out and learned the skills of love-making and falls deeply in love with Khal Drogo would confirm that. In either case, we are not talking about a politically-correct sociological description of that event in the context of "what is consent?". Dany herself mentions getting raped -- clearly she isn't speaking about her wedding night with Drogo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.