TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gotham (S4E02) -- "A Dark Knight: The Fear Reaper" -- 9/28/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Gotham (S4E02) -- "A Dark Knight: The Fear Reaper" -- 9/28/17

INNER DEMONS ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, ON FOX

Under pressure to prove that the GCPD is still powerful, Gordon attempts to bring in Jonathan Crane. However, Gordon puts himself in a dangerous situation at Arkham when he is forced to fight off lunatics and the demon within himself. Meanwhile, with Barbara's unexpected return, Selina and Tabitha must consider risks that come with joining her in the weapon business in the all-new "A Dark Knight: The Fear Reaper" episode of GOTHAM airing Thursday, Sept. 28 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GTH-402) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Morena Baccarin as Leslie Thompkins, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the Riddler, Jessica Lucas as Tabitha Galavan, Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean/Solomon Grundy, Alexander Siddig as Ra's Ah Ghul, Crystal Reed as Sofia Falcone

Guest Cast: Michael Maize as Grady, Charlie Tahan as Jonathan Crane, Anthony Carrigan as Zsasz, Damian Young as Warden Reed, Maggie Geha as Ivy Pepper
Old 09-29-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Gotham (S4E02) -- "A Dark Knight: The Fear Reaper" -- 9/28/17

Gotham - Smallville edition

As always, show is VERY different (not bad) from what I thought it would be yet I do enjoy it.
Old 09-29-17, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to love this show, but I've really been struggling this season to get into it. Though I'll stick it out, as I'm curious to watch Bruce's transformation into Batman..
Old 09-29-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

[QUOTE=Xiroteus;13168219]Gotham - Smallville edition

QUOTE]

Not really, or, at least not in the sense that "Smallville" tried to be more "real", -or CW real, -other than the super-powers. This is more out-sized and Gothic and arch becoming some sort of cross between Tim Burton and Fritz Lang (at least in aspiration if not execution). It's really dark in it's attitude and the characters aren't really all that positive (even Bruce is pretty messed up at this point). Some of it works and some of it doesn't.
Old 09-29-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Some of it works and some of it doesn't.
In the doesn't work column (IMO): Formerly mostly nice girl Selina "I'm going full villian because Bruce was jerk" Kyle
Old 09-29-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=DWilson;13168377]
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Gotham - Smallville edition

QUOTE]

Not really, or, at least not in the sense that "Smallville" tried to be more "real", -or CW real, -other than the super-powers. This is more out-sized and Gothic and arch becoming some sort of cross between Tim Burton and Fritz Lang (at least in aspiration if not execution). It's really dark in it's attitude and the characters aren't really all that positive (even Bruce is pretty messed up at this point). Some of it works and some of it doesn't.
I agree that's it's a completely different tone. When the show first started it sounded like it was never going to be about Bruce becoming Batman. Then they started him older along with other aspects.

Things change. If it was just Gordon being a police officer with nothing all that comic book like it would be a bit boring. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Plus if this was Smallville this would have taken until season eight to get to.
Old 09-29-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by randian
In the doesn't work column (IMO): Formerly mostly nice girl Selina "I'm going full villian because Bruce was jerk" Kyle
Characterization are just wacky on this show and not terribly consistent. I doubt Gordon was intended to be the raging self-righteous asshole he's become, though part of that I blame on Ben McKenzie, who pretty much has played the whole series with a dyspeptic scowl. At first it annoyed me, and now I find it sort of amusing.
Old 10-01-17, 02:27 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Jim Gordon, eternal scumbag.

Bruce Wayne: Batboy?
Old 10-01-17, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
Jim Gordon, eternal scumbag.

Bruce Wayne: Batboy?
Not that they're going to do it, -but then they were never going to do what they're doing, -but now that he's in a costume (though they don't call it a costume), how do you make the transition to making it bat-like.
Old 10-01-17, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm guessing with Scarecrow being the main villain, Bruce will become what he fears most.
Old 10-01-17, 06:59 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They are making an effort to move things along faster which is cool

And now she's of age, we can perve at Selina's hot ass in those leather pants
Old 10-01-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Once ratings drop, anything and everything is on the table for a television show. I don't think they wanted to show young Bruce's adventures on the street confronting criminals, but it's probably the most requested thing I've seen on social media.

I didn't like them bringing Barbara back from certain death. That screamed we have this actress under a cheap contract and need to bring her back for another season.
Old 10-01-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

^Well, it seems like nobody's ever really dead on this show. Especially if you're shot and dumped in the river. That's a sure sign we'll see you again.

They certainly do seem to be moving faster than expected in getting Bruce this far along toward becoming the Batman. I wonder if the writing is on the wall for this show and they're expecting this to be the last season so they're throwing in everything they can.

I like how they've introduced whip-wielding Selina now. Ivy dosing herself with those secret herbal potions was kinda lame, though.
Old 10-02-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I wonder if the writing is on the wall for this show and they're expecting this to be the last season so they're throwing in everything they can.
Gotham almost certainly will get five seasons at the very minimum. Batman is a huge brand and Fox doesn't want to upset Batman's owner, Warner. Fox is definitely interested in developing more superhero-themed properties and doesn't want to affect any future potential DC projects they might air.
Old 10-05-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've read the ratings are down this season. Maybe it was the move to Thursdays that did it. Hope FOX moves it back to Mondays before they just cancel it.
Old 12-29-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I know I’m way behind but with season five coming up I decided to,finally catch up.

2 shows into this season I’m having hard time understanding how Penguin has the power to become Mayor and now offering crime liscenses.

Liscenses that are recognized by the Gotham police and judges?
Seems like that shouldn’t have been a throw away between seasons.

Oh and Barbra back from the dead and somehow has an arsenal with rooms that come from behind walls covered with assault rivals and guns.
Old 12-30-18, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Yeah, the Gotham PD makes no sense in this show. One day they're all corrupt and doing the Penguin's bidding, the next they're laying their lives on the line for Gordon.
Old 12-30-18, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Yeah.

So after 2 eps it’s clear how Babs came back from the dead and became an arms dealer.

But still the crime liscenses is awful I hope it isn’t going to continue much longer.