DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-13-17, 11:40 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

I enjoyed this for the most part. Don't know if this can go for 4 or 5 seasons, but it definitely has at least another decent season.

3 Mad Men alumni in this... Brie, Debbies hubby (Harry on MM) and Debbie's father (Lou on MM).

They really made Brie more homely in this... even when she's all dolled up. Something seemed off with her face.

Gilpin looks good with some extra meat on her... especially in those tight 80's pants. She looked better than when she was on Masters of Sex and even when she was topless on Nurse Jackie.

I thought the show did a good job at capturing the 80's feel.
Old 07-15-17, 12:55 AM   #102
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

I'd say it's a case of her doing all the physical training for the role.When chicks put on muscle in their 30's their face thin's/tightens.
Old 07-15-17, 01:31 AM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I wonder how many viewers are even aware of the real Glow? I'm reasonably old and well rounded and never heard of it until this thread.
I've never seen it, but I'm familiar with the acronym.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-15-17, 01:47 AM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

I seem to remember seeing it a few random times very late at night on what channel I have no idea and probably following Monster Chiller Horror Theater or something.
Old 07-27-17, 08:02 PM   #105
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just finished, absolutely loved it, hope it gets picked up for another season. I love all 80s stuff. And thought the Brie was great, as was Maron and Gilpen. I listened to Maron's wtf podcast with brie and gilpen as well as the jenji kohan, all well worth a listen.
Old 07-27-17, 08:23 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Next season should be about Marc Maron making his movie, with Betty Gilpin as the lead. Those two were easily the best parts of this show. The wrestling stuff was the least interesting aspect to be honest.
Yea, I agree. Still digging the show (on ep. 8) but it felt like some steam was lost once they started to actually wrestle.

Marc Maron is someone I'd known about but never really saw him or his schtick. Def liked his acerbic tone and wit. He's a clear standout.

Brie is great. Spunky, hot, talented.

Funny, the motel the girls moved into is actually the Pink Motel in Simi Valley I shot a feature there last year. It pops up in movies, music videos, etc all the time. The rooms are DEF not that big, or nice.

Horror Movie Challenge:
Old 07-28-17, 01:49 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I watched the GLOW documentary the other night after having finished the first season last week. It was a good complement to the series, and helped me to appreciate what a good job they did in capturing the spirit of what they accomplished. I was definitely teary-eyed when they got to talking about Mt. Fiji and the reunion of all the girls. If they would have said on the screen that she died after filming the doc, I would have lost it, but she's still around. I thought it was kind of odd that Matt Cimber didn't have a problem being shown at the reunion toward the end, but declined to actually be interviewed.
Having finally watched the documentary, I can see why they didn't just do a straight adaptation of the story, it would have been pretty dark and depressing, which is probably true of any true adaptation about wrestling. They completely took out the Rivera owner (at least for now) and Vegas, which is probably just as well.

Also didn't realize Ivory was in GLOW.
Old 08-07-17, 07:47 PM   #108
Cool New Member

People say that Alison Brie looks weird or is miscast. I think that may be intentional. Like when Maron says something like, "I look at you, and you look hot, and I'd like to F you, but I look at you again, and not so much". That made me laugh out loud pretty hard. I think this show has a lot of potential.
Old 08-07-17, 08:08 PM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-10-17, 06:59 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Renewed for a 10 episode 2nd season: http://deadline.com/2017/08/glow-ren...-2-1202146838/

Old 08-10-17, 07:02 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

If they can get seven seasons out of Orange is the New Black, they were going to at least squeeze this show for a couple of seasons.

Fun fact I learned in the Maron podcast : Every cast member signed a contract acknowledging that they may be required to do nude scenes.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-10-17, 07:58 PM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome news.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 08-10-17, 08:40 PM   #113
Inane Thread Master

i couldn't get into the first ep. really. wanted to, but didn't hit. does it take a couple to get going?
Old 08-10-17, 08:43 PM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

It certainly gets better as it goes
Old 08-10-17, 09:15 PM   #115
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoyed the first season. I hope the second season is as good as the first.
Old 08-10-17, 09:40 PM   #116
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i couldn't get into the first ep. really. wanted to, but didn't hit. does it take a couple to get going?
I dug it. Fun show. Maron is amazing in it.
Old 08-10-17, 10:31 PM   #117
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Renewed for a 10 episode 2nd season: http://deadline.com/2017/08/glow-ren...-2-1202146838/

Old 08-11-17, 02:01 AM   #118
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if Kate Nash is on board for season 2? I'm a mild fan of her music, but those she was surprisingly decent in this.