Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/23/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

I saw that documentary too, which is how I know how far off they are from the real life events and characters. I still think they should have called it "WOW" or something and dropped the pretense altogether. For me it was just way too similar to Orange Is the New Black, and has all the same issues. I wanted something more.
Old 06-29-17, 09:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

I wonder how many viewers are even aware of the real Glow? I'm reasonably old and well rounded and never heard of it until this thread.
Old 06-29-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I watched it back in the day. I wasn't a fan of professional wrestling so this show was a fun parody of it.
Old 06-29-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I wonder how many viewers are even aware of the real Glow? I'm reasonably old and well rounded and never heard of it until this thread.
Check out the documentary on Netflix. It's only about 75 minutes or so.
Old 06-29-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

There are lots of YouTube videos of the original show, too.
Old 06-29-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I still have a couple more episodes to go but I am liking this, not great, but entertaining. I'm a fan of Brie and Maron and they are both really good here. Also, it nicely captures the era and has a cool soundtrack (I was surprised to hear a pretty obscure Alice Cooper song in one episode, from one of his early 80's "lost years" albums)
Old 06-29-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I binged this over the weekend. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't earth shattering or anything like that, but it was an easy, breezy watch. I'm in for a second season.

I remember when the real league was on the airwaves. I was probably late elementary school age and loved pro wrestling at that time. Glow would air at some obscenely crazy time, like midnight or 1 a.m., maybe even a little later than that. I would sometimes record it. I remember thinking at that time that it looked a lot more fake and was a lot sillier than the wrestling I was used to, but I guess that was part of its charm.
Old 06-29-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I thought this was already posted but here's the pilot episode of the original GLOW for those who have never seen it. There is swearing in it but if you're watching the Netflix show anyway, I'm sure you won't be offended.

Old 06-29-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I finished this earlier today and it was great.
Old 07-04-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Alison Brie truly has a talent when it comes to doing voices and accents. She's pretty but I think she could do very well as a voice actress like Tara Strong. Surprised Betty Gilpin hasn't gotten more work in her time. She's a decent actress, and like everyone else says, has perfectly formed breasts and a great ass. Then again, there's a lot of that in Hollywood.
Old 07-04-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Well, she is the voice of Unikitty, isn't she?
Old 07-04-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Alison Brie truly has a talent when it comes to doing voices and accents. She's pretty but I think she could do very well as a voice actress like Tara Strong. Surprised Betty Gilpin hasn't gotten more work in her time. She's a decent actress, and like everyone else says, has perfectly formed breasts and a great ass. Then again, there's a lot of that in Hollywood.
Gilpin is only 30 and just got her "break" into acting on Nurse Betty about 4 years ago (first major recurring role). I think you'll probably see more of her in the near future.

I assume the show is getting some pretty good chatter, it's currently #2 on imdb for most popular shows -- #1 is Game of Thrones. It's a silly metric, but tends to suggest some popularity.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-04-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I finished this series yesterday. I really enjoyed it and I'm not a wrestling fan. It's a really fun and entertaining series. I get the complaints that Ruth wasn't a good main character, but I feel like she grew throughout the show. She really had nothing going for her in life until the wrestling auditions and she was essentially producing and directing the pilot episode in the finale while also starring in the show.

I really hadn't heard of Marc Maron until watching GLOW (besides seeing him pop up on The Soup now and then). I thought he was really good and I hope he can get a supporting actor nomination. Also, Betty Gilpin was very good (and very good looking)! I had never seen her before until GLOW.

I hope this gets renewed for a second season. I'm going to miss not having any new episodes to watch for a year. That's the downside of binging shows to me. You don't really get to savor an episode, you just go to watching the next one. That's why I still really like shows like Game of Thrones that are one episode per week. You get to think about the episode for a few days....
Old 07-04-17, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
That's the downside of binging shows to me. You don't really get to savor an episode, you just go to watching the next one.
I totally agree. I'm not a binge watcher. I try to keep it to one or two at a time for that very reason. When something awesome happens, I want to let it sink in and wait it out a little bit. I purposely sat out that last episode for a few days. And it ended up making it even better. Because I so sure I was going to be let down by the obvious...but then...

If you sit there and watch it all at once, that's on you.
Old 07-04-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Gilpin is only 30 and just got her "break" into acting on Nurse Betty about 4 years ago (first major recurring role). I think you'll probably see more of her in the near future.
Huh, I would have guessed her older then that.
Old 07-05-17, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched the GLOW documentary the other night after having finished the first season last week. It was a good complement to the series, and helped me to appreciate what a good job they did in capturing the spirit of what they accomplished. I was definitely teary-eyed when they got to talking about Mt. Fiji and the reunion of all the girls. If they would have said on the screen that she died after filming the doc, I would have lost it, but she's still around. I thought it was kind of odd that Matt Cimber didn't have a problem being shown at the reunion toward the end, but declined to actually be interviewed.
Old 07-05-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I remember it when it aired in the late 80's and I think it was geared to teenager boys like myself. It was the era before 'GirlPower' so I can't believe that many women watched it back in the day.

I think it actually helps that most people didn't watch the original show because it was so cheesy and those same new viewers won't have any bad preconceived notions going in.
Old 07-05-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Where I lived it was usually on after Saturday morning cartoons, Soul Train and American Band Stand. Basically when old Sci fi and monster movies played during the afternoon. Most kids in their teens or early 20's knew of it in the late 80's.
Old 07-05-17, 08:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Where I lived it was usually on after Saturday morning cartoons, Soul Train and American Band Stand. Basically when old Sci fi and monster movies played during the afternoon. Most kids in their teens or early 20's knew of it in the late 80's.
Ah. I was glued to the TV from 7 am until about 11 when cartoons stopped and that sort of programming started, then I was outside all day. Music shows and wrestling are fairly blind spots to me I guess.
Old 07-05-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I watched it as it came on in the afternoons. I had a crush on Little Fiji.

I sent a tweet to Little Egypt if they had found her for the GLOW reunion and she said she hadn't.
So sad about Mt. Fiji and Mathilda and their health.
Old 07-06-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember the original GLOW programming also had a skit where they would show a pretty blonde girl led to some random dude's house for a blind date and he would say something sexist and offensive and the wrestler would smack him. I want to say there was also a laugh track, too? It was sort of a break in between the fights. Even as a young lad I always knew I liked pussy.
Old 07-08-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Just finished this today. Entertaining, though I could have done without the
Spoiler:
abortion story line with Brie.
Still, time well spent. Hopefully we get a second season. I'm guessing the end part of the first taping was supposed to be a work between Ruth and Peggy? That was kind of left ambiguous, but
Spoiler:
Peggy conveniently having her outfit on underneath her clothes kind of lead me to believe it was planned.

Who played the wrestling dad named Goliath? He looked very familiar.
My exposure to glow during its time was limited to the "900" number spots that aired during All American Wrestling on USA Network (of course it did ) . I'm pretty certain it aired in syndication in my area, but was most likely during the time frame when SNL was on NBC or later. I vaguely remember some of them making an appearance on an episode of "Married with Children".
Old 07-08-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^

Old 07-08-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Next season should be about Marc Maron making his movie, with Betty Gilpin as the lead. Those two were easily the best parts of this show. The wrestling stuff was the least interesting aspect to be honest.
Old 07-10-17, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished it. Overall thought it was ok and I would watch another season. But I didn't really love it. I thought Alison Brie was miscast and I didn't really like her character being the focus. I also wasn't impressed with Betty Gilpin either. Ultimately this was too much like OITNB for me and it suffered from the same problems that show has. Mainly, that I found myself being more interested in the background characters and not really being invested in the leads. I'd probably give this a 3/5.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.