Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/23/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, time to watch this since Brie has nudity.
It's weird because the first scene at least is kinda gratuitous and they even reference that she's usually shy enough not to expose herself, but that she's changed.

That twist in the first episode was pretty obvious but the payoff was unexpected.

Apparently they at least licensed some footage from WWE, though no wrestlers from there. They do have
Spoiler:
Johnny Mundo, Tyrus, Carlito and apparently Chavo though. And of course Awesome King who I don't even recognize.

Also Piz.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-23-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: GLOW (Netflix) -- from EP Jenji Kohan -- S: Alison Brie -- women wrestlers -- 6/2

Recognized Johnny Mundo immediately. As a fan of wrestling, the 80s, and women in spandex, this show is like a dream come true for me.

Wrestling fans: is it just me, or does the set for the training gym look a lot like the place where they have "Lucha Underground" on El Rey? Would make sense if so given the presence of so many stars from the promotion.
Old 06-23-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Alison Brie plays her incredibly cringe-y character extremely well.

There are drugs in the fucking robot!

Last edited by RichC2; 06-23-17 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm on episode 2 and this will be binged. Brie is cute but looks way old even though she isn't -- I noticed that she does not wear make-up and is quite shredded. I love the 80's soundtrack, but some of those outfits (in general) are cringeworthy just like Brie's awkward as fuck character. My new girlfriend is Betty Gilpin, though. #datassandtitties
Old 06-23-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Betty and Alison appears on Chelsea Handler's show. They were talking about the leotards and Alison mentioned they were offered a hard plastic liner to avoid camel toe. She said she didn't wear one. She wanted to show every fold.

Bless her.
Old 06-24-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I'm not sure how many guys were doing moonsaults like Christopher Daniels back then but I'll roll with it. Also Joey Ryan, who's just so natural as a throwback anyway, vs. Alex Riley.

And of course wrestling is a soap opera... for men. "That's where we get our best ideas from" indeed.
Old 06-24-17, 01:51 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm an episode and a half in and so far pretty dull and boring

Will give it to the end of ep 3 before kicking it to the curb
Old 06-24-17, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Is this just a 1 season show, or is going to have multiple seasons?
Old 06-24-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on viewer numbers, as ususal.
Old 06-24-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just started the second episode, pretty amusing show. Marc Maron as the sleazy director is a hoot.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 06-24-17 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I was a huge fan of the original. I might have to check this out.
Old 06-24-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Just started the second episode, pretty amusing show. Marc Maron as the sleazy director is a hoot.

He's hysterical.
Old 06-24-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched episodes 1-3 last night and I'm liking it so far.
Old 06-24-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At episode 9. Gonna try to finish it tonight or tomorrow morning
Old 06-24-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
At episode 9. Gonna try to finish it tonight or tomorrow morning
With Allison Brie naked in the first episode, you should have finished a long time ago.
Old 06-24-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I'm four episodes in. While not exactly great TV, it is fun and watchable. It has a great sense of specific time & place and I think that goes a long way. The director is a lot of fun. I like the ensemble.
Strangely I think it has exactly the same problem as OITNB (at least Seasons 1 & 2) -- the main character, who it would seem you are supposed to sympathize and identify with, is annoying and unpleasant. In both cases the protagonist is probably the worst person on the show, but without being presented as an anti-hero. The part as written does not play to Brie's strengths which are kind of a sweet innocence and kindness. I get that she's trying something different here, but I'm not sure it's working for her.
That said, trying nudity was a bold choice that works just fine.
Old 06-24-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
With Allison Brie naked in the first episode, you should have finished a long time ago.
Old 06-24-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I finished the season. It's nice and brisk given the episodes all seem to be around 30-40 minutes which is nice.

Overall I liked it, it's nothing amazing and doesn't excel in any particular area, but its a fun watch on an interesting topic. I felt like half way through they move away from Brie's character being the lead in to more of an ensemble, and it works really well at that as they give more focus to the other women. I enjoyed it, would watch another season.
Old 06-24-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm four episodes in. While not exactly great TV, it is fun and watchable. It has a great sense of specific time & place and I think that goes a long way. The director is a lot of fun. I like the ensemble.
Strangely I think it has exactly the same problem as OITNB (at least Seasons 1 & 2) -- the main character, who it would seem you are supposed to sympathize and identify with, is annoying and unpleasant. In both cases the protagonist is probably the worst person on the show, but without being presented as an anti-hero. The part as written does not play to Brie's strengths which are kind of a sweet innocence and kindness. I get that she's trying something different here, but I'm not sure it's working for her.
That said, trying nudity was a bold choice that works just fine.
Yeah, it would be one thing if Ruth and Debbie didn't know each other, or if they were already adversarial. You could take the sleeping-with-her-husband bit as a quirky character flaw. But showing us their friendship and then Ruth betraying her, that just makes her a shitty person.

Maron and the ensemble of wrestlers is the best part of the show. Fun to watch, but I feel like they fumbled the Ruth-Debbie dynamic. I wonder what the show would have been like if we had the exact same chain of events, only we start with Debbie as our lead character.
Old 06-24-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Yeah, it would be one thing if Ruth and Debbie didn't know each other, or if they were already adversarial. You could take the sleeping-with-her-husband bit as a quirky character flaw. But showing us their friendship and then Ruth betraying her, that just makes her a shitty person.
In addition, they did a very TV-sort of cheat : When Ruth meets up with Mark she talks about "cheating on your wife" and says "go back to your family". We all have friends who get married -- even if we aren't having relations with their spouses, we would always refer to our friend/their spouse by their first name and not "your wife". It just was a dishonest play.

That said, I did get a little kick out of having Harry Crane fuck Pete Campbell's wife, Trudy. Harry would have really enjoyed that (and Pete would have deserved it).
Old 06-24-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

On ep. 4 right now. Does this season get them to Vegas?
Old 06-24-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Marc Maron is fantastic in this. I like that Alison Brie tried something different here and I think she was at her best when she was doing her Russian persona. Things that bothered me and I wished they had left out were the abortion that was just twisting the knife on her stupid affair with her friend's husband. And the racism that came from the crowd for the terrorist character. I'd rather they just let it be funny instead of making so mean.
Old 06-24-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Hey now!

Now I'm really finished. I really enjoyed it. Soundtrack was pretty good. I liked the cast. It was fun seeing the older cars at their car wash fundraiser.

Hoping for another season with these ladies.
Old 06-24-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Saw this thread and gave the first episode a try and damn, Alison Brie is teh hot!
Old 06-25-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm up to episode four now. It's alright. I think Alison Brie is miscast as the lead. She just doesn't really bring much to the table other than looks. I'm enjoying the director, the friend and the other women more, which brings me to my main complaint. This show feels too much like OITNB but with women wrestlers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.