Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

VG was near the top of the stairs clapping for Chuck (Michael Mckean), so I'd take it that was his exit. We may see more flashbacks though.

Apparently Jesse's house, or his aunts during this timeline, is right down the street from Chuck's house and was visible during this episode.
Old 06-21-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

As great as Halt and Catch Fire is - is anyone watching it? If that can get more seasons, then BCS surely will.
I love Halt and Catch Fire but I can't believe it got renewed after the 1st season because I honestly don't know anyone who watches it and the talkbacks here are a just a few of us. It's the ultimate cult show as the characters are what drive me to watch it.

I'm in shock BCS hasn't been renewed. Doesn't this get nominated for Emmys every year as that's enough reason to keep it on for the critical acclaim.
Old 06-21-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb

I'm in shock BCS hasn't been renewed. Doesn't this get nominated for Emmys every year as that's enough reason to keep it on for the critical acclaim.
maybe there is a difference of opinions on how many more seasons AMC wants and how many the creators want ... wouldn't be the first time

just because it has yet to be renewed doesn't mean there aren't negotiations going on
Old 06-21-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I love Halt and Catch Fire but I can't believe it got renewed after the 1st season because I honestly don't know anyone who watches it and the talkbacks here are a just a few of us.
I agree. The thread for HaCF is pretty small and I also don't know a single person that watches it. Not only that, I never hear it mentioned on talk shows or anywhere else on TV or websites. I only found out about it because I needed something to watch and went to AMCTV (as well as HBO, etc) looking for something and came across it.
Old 06-22-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I caught the first season of Halt and Catch Fire on Netflix, but since then I've eagerly watched each season as it aired live. I tried recommending the show to friends, but it was hard to come up with a pitch that would interest them in it. Turns out saying, "It's good! I'm sure you would enjoy it!" doesn't work.

Oddly, my father who's in his 70s, stumbled across it and it quickly became one of his favourite shows. I wound up watching the last two seasons as they aired with him. The only other shows he watches is stuff like Sherlock and Castle, so I'm not sure what appeals to him about Halt and Catch Fire, but I'm glad to know at least someone else who loves the show.
Old 06-22-17, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

For anyone wondering if there will be a season 4, Peter Gould was on Talking Saul & by the way he was talking there definitely will be.
I can see them doing one more season before we hit the BB timeline.
I wish they would have told us where that unexplained power was coming from.
Great callback to one of my favorite films 'The Conversation'.
Old 06-22-17, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Will the meter still run if there's power going through it?

Shutting off all of the breakers should kill all of the power in the home unless there's something that isn't on any circuit, which would probably against code.

It's possible that there could be something outside of the home (like a light in the yard) that could still be drawing, but I think even those should be on the breaker.
Old 06-22-17, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Will the meter still run if there's power going through it?

Shutting off all of the breakers should kill all of the power in the home unless there's something that isn't on any circuit, which would probably against code.

It's possible that there could be something outside of the home (like a light in the yard) that could still be drawing, but I think even those should be on the breaker.
The only explanations I could come up with are:
- There is another panel somewhere hidden in the house
- The meter is faulty
- Jimmy is pulling some kind of scam!
Old 06-22-17, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Really good season overall. I know there isn't as much killing in this show as BB. But i think this show is equally solid as BB.

When Chuck kept breaking the house I was like what is he doing? and my wife went 'he is killing himself"
Old 06-22-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Chuck is dead. Been giving it some thought and I remembered I think it was Gould who said about the Kim car accident and why the episode didn't dramatically end at the moment of the crash something to the effect of: We don't put something out there to get you to come back only to snatch it away.

No doubt he will be back in some flashbacks, or possibly he will be critically injured and may linger a while, but this is the end of Chuck as we knew him. Given what we were shown from a story telling perspective it makes the most sense.
Old 06-22-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I finished the season on Tuesday. I thought it was a good season overall.

Finale was kind of low key, but judging by that ending with the fire, it definitely seems like Chuck might not be part of season 4.

Remind me again, when does Breaking Bad's timeline officially begin? 2007-08 right?

I saw Kim wrote that check to Howard in a previous episode to "pay back" her loan and the check was dated in 2003. So, we are 4 more years before Walter White's exploits? and then we don't meet "Saul Goodman" until season 2. So, we're probably 4-5 more years until we meet Jimmy as Saul?

I kind of felt bad for how pathetic Jimmy became to raise any kind of money since he can't practice law. The shitty commercial business and then doing that fake drum accident. Plus, manipulating that old lady to take the buyout so he could raise immediate cash, which put her against her long-time friends.
Old 06-22-17, 04:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldn't mind if they got far enough in the timeline to have a "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" season where we could see what Saul was up to during the event of "Breaking Bad".
Old 06-22-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

There's a dark theory floating around;
Kim turns into Windy Wendy from Breaking Bad. It all starts with the pain pills...
Old 06-22-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Remind me again, when does Breaking Bad's timeline officially begin? 2007-08 right?

I saw Kim wrote that check to Howard in a previous episode to "pay back" her loan and the check was dated in 2003. So, we are 4 more years before Walter White's exploits? and then we don't meet "Saul Goodman" until season 2. So, we're probably 4-5 more years until we meet Jimmy as Saul?
BB starts up in September 2008 (Walter White's 50th birthday) and we first see Saul Goodman a few months later. This season of BCS ends some time in March of 2003, so about 5 and 1/2 years before we meet Saul Goodman of Breaking Bad.

To put it in perspective, I think the first three seasons BCS have only chronologically covered roughly a year.
Old 06-22-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They made a little short film catching up with the Kettleman's:

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call...ives/BCSbingo/
Old 06-22-17, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
They made a little short film catching up with the Kettleman's:

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call...ives/BCSbingo/
That was kind of dark - The wife was in on it!! odd they would do this to him..

thanks for posting - I never watch any of the bonus content.
Old 06-22-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully, next season starts with a one year time jump to when he can start practicing law again. If it goes a few more seasons, I'm afraid that Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks will look too old compared to when they first appeared on BB.
Old 06-22-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't have any doubt the story must continue. Ultimately, this is the story of Jimmy becoming Saul and we've not seen that yet--only glimpses. The show can't end satisfactorily until we have that one final moment where we go, "Ah, he just became the character I know from Breaking Bad."

I just binged all five seasons of BB again while watching this, and he's still got a way to go IMO. He's not near sleezy enough yet, or the kind of guy who's desperate enough to be willing to be part of a meth ring. He's not yet ready to be a TV lawyer and work out of a rundown plaza. And he's still got love in his life. All this must change before the show ends. It's close, and could happen in a season, but I don't think it's done yet.

Plus, as others pointed out, we're still five years away from the Breaking Bad storyline. I fully expect them to bring him right up to the point where he meets Walter White. That's the cornerstone this whole series was built upon. Sooner or later, we're going to have a time jump.
Old 06-23-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
That's not the way I saw the scene. They were doing that because they loved him, and this was a way to be together as a family again for a brief moment.
Old 06-23-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Looks like it's unofficially renewed for a 4th season: http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/06/bet...medium=twitter

Production weekly magazine says they will start filming season 4 this November.
Old 06-23-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

thanks for posting - I never watch any of the bonus content.
That's not the way I saw the scene. They were doing that because they loved him, and this was a way to be together as a family again for a brief moment.
I don't even remember any more -- how did their story end on BCS?

I didn't really mind the finale. It was a sad, albeit rapid descent for Chuck. It just seemed to happen pretty rapidly considering how he was functioning when Jimmy stopped by -- that was after his "retirement", right? To go from that to a loon in a day didn't sit right with me -- neither did his presumed suicide : If Chuck wanted to take his own life, I just don't think he would endanger his neighbors in the process. He's an asshole, but he doesn't try to hurt others that he doesn't think deserve it.
I saw Michael McKean on Broadway last week in The Little Foxes. He played a domineering asshole older brother to Laura Linney's Regina and it was hard to separate that character from Chuck, despite the time period and Southern accent. I hated him from his first appearance on stage. (Richard Thomas was in the play as well and played his character like a terminally ill version of Agent Gaad).
Old 06-23-17, 10:47 AM

Oh.. I didn't look at it that way. I thought they were tormenting him.
Old 06-23-17, 11:05 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh.. I didn't look at it that way. I thought they were tormenting him.
Wasn't the wife was in on the embezzlement?
Here I thought she was just trying to see him with the kids.
Old 06-23-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw
Wasn't the wife was in on the embezzlement?
Here I thought she was just trying to see him with the kids.
Yes, they were there to be near and lend support to the husband who had taken the plea deal to protect the wife and kids. While the Bingo song sure seems like torment, that was exactly how that family was well before everything went down.
Old 06-23-17, 12:35 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I really think that BCS will be better served having the primary narrative be in Nebraska and filling in the blanks of his further descent into Saul in flashbacks. It needs to go somewhere where we have no idea what's in store.

If Kim actually turned out to be Wendy that would be just awful. I don't think they would go there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.