Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S3E10) -- Season Finale -- "Lantern" -- 6/19/17

I really thought one of the bookcases was going to fall on him when he was taking the ax to them.
Old 06-21-17, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

They actually pretty much spoiled the ending a couple of weeks ago when they announced it was going to be called "Lantern."
Old 06-21-17, 07:35 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
See, I liked that. A TV show or film doesn't have to spend every single second driving the story. There's nothing wrong with just stopping and letting the viewer experience a scene in depth. We all knew Chuck was going to go off the deep end, and seeing it unfold over 4-6 minutes leaves much more of an emotional impact than 30 seconds of Chuck going crazy. Of course, such montages have to be done well, like in this episode. When they become gratuitous (see HBO's Vinyl) they can drag the whole show down.
Exactly. I thought the extended scene showing Chuck's descent was powerful and emotional. Not a wasted moment.

Also, now that Chuck is (presumably) dead, is Jimmy his only next of kin? If so, that means Chuck's estate goes to Jimmy. That would include buyout money from HHM, which now has another wrinkle - what does the partnership agreement say about what happens when a partner dies? I'm pretty sure Chuck didn't deposit the check, and HHM can claim that, while there was an agreement on a buyout, that agreement terminated on Chuck's death.

However it goes, Chuck certainly had money, and it seems that Jimmy is going to get it.

And what's with the talk about the show not coming back? This is a jewel for AMC, it will run for as long as Vince Gilligan wants.

Edit: season 3 ratings can be found here.
Old 06-21-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
They spent far too long on the scene with Chuck about trying to find the source of the electricity..

I thought this was going to be his demise. I thought that he was going to "find" some buried junction box in the wall and get electrocuted..

Which in my opinion would have been somewhat poetic - that the thing he feared the most, coupled with his neurotic hunt to end the 'pain' was what ultimately killed him. When he went to smash the electrical meter - I cringed thinking - there he goes.. but that was not the case.

I think this was a missed opportunity not to have him electrocuted, or falling down the steps in the dark hunting for this phantom source of 'pain'
Old 06-21-17, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman

Also, now that Chuck is (presumably) dead, is Jimmy his only next of kin? If so, that means Chuck's estate goes to Jimmy.
We know Chuck - and there is no way in hell that he would 'reward' Jimmy with willing him anything. He was very clear in the trial that he felt Jimmy took the easy way in life, and handing him money, would be rewarding that...

so I think this will be another kick in the teeth for Jimmy - that his brother left his money to some legal foundation.
Old 06-21-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
We know Chuck - and there is no way in hell that he would 'reward' Jimmy with willing him anything. He was very clear in the trial that he felt Jimmy took the easy way in life, and handing him money, would be rewarding that...

so I think this will be another kick in the teeth for Jimmy - that his brother left his money to some legal foundation.
There's the ex-wife...
Old 06-21-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I thought it was an amazing episode. The extended view of Chuck's decent made the episode. We saw how the house was when the series started but now we've seen how he got there.

I thought Kim had lost pretty much all respect for Jimmy this past season but it looked like she was actually still in love with him.

They've done such a good job with the Nacho character, he's come such a long way since his first appearance depth wise.
Old 06-21-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I thought it was an amazing episode. The extended view of Chuck's decent made the episode. We saw how the house was when the series started but now we've seen how he got there.

I thought Kim had lost pretty much all respect for Jimmy this past season but it looked like she was actually still in love with him.
It would seem from their conversation that Kim is aware (or somewhat aware) of what Jimmy did to Irene.
Old 06-21-17, 08:11 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
There's the ex-wife...
Yeah, you're both right. The ex-wife and some legal foundation will get the $.
Old 06-21-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I would assume that HHM's buyout of Chuck's partnership would have been finalized and the moneymwould be owed to his estate.

Jimmy would, presumably, be Chuck's next of kin. I don't think the ex-wife would be entitled to any of his estate unless it was specified in his will, or they still held joint assets. Chuck seems like the type who would have a will (and shut Jimmy out of it), but he might not have bothered getting one written while he was married, and as his marriage and mental health broke down, it might not have been a priority for him to get one written.
Old 06-21-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Exactly. I thought the extended scene showing Chuck's descent was powerful and emotional. Not a wasted moment.

And what's with the talk about the show not coming back? This is a jewel for AMC, it will run for as long as Vince Gilligan wants.

Edit: season 3 ratings can be found here.
http://screenrant.com/better-call-sa...son-4-renewal/

It just hasn't been renewed yet is all. I think AMC would be foolish to cut it off now despite the slight dip in ratings between Seasons 2 and 3.
Old 06-21-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would assume that HHM's buyout of Chuck's partnership would have been finalized and the moneymwould be owed to his estate.

Jimmy would, presumably, be Chuck's next of kin. I don't think the ex-wife would be entitled to any of his estate unless it was specified in his will, or they still held joint assets. Chuck seems like the type who would have a will (and shut Jimmy out of it), but he might not have bothered getting one written while he was married, and as his marriage and mental health broke down, it might not have been a priority for him to get one written.
I'm sure Chuck would have some type of will, but with regards to his wife, we don't know exactly what happened there, and if he has some regrets, -or he's still pining for her, he might have left something to her (and possibly a large something) if he was trying to prove something to her.
Old 06-21-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I thought this was going to be his demise. I thought that he was going to "find" some buried junction box in the wall and get electrocuted..

Which in my opinion would have been somewhat poetic - that the thing he feared the most, coupled with his neurotic hunt to end the 'pain' was what ultimately killed him. When he went to smash the electrical meter - I cringed thinking - there he goes.. but that was not the case.

I think this was a missed opportunity not to have him electrocuted, or falling down the steps in the dark hunting for this phantom source of 'pain'
I thought that would happen, too. Just seemed like it would be fitting.

And of course Chuck would have a will. He knows better than to not have one. And, yeah, the ex-wife is the obvious choice.

I'm not convinced he'll die, but I'll be kind of disappointed if he doesn't.
Old 06-21-17, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Any thoughts on what caused Chucks meter to keep going? Was he not still getting electric bills during his sickness if something was on?
The meter was moving but I think it said 374 every time he checked it.
Old 06-21-17, 11:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
http://screenrant.com/better-call-sa...son-4-renewal/

It just hasn't been renewed yet is all. I think AMC would be foolish to cut it off now despite the slight dip in ratings between Seasons 2 and 3.
Although I'm guessing that the push to bring a lot more "Breaking Bad" characters was a failed attempt to get those numbers to go up, and it's got to be disappointing to AMC execs that it didn't happen.
Old 06-21-17, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
There's the ex-wife...
Yes!! and Jimmy burned that bridge when he 'used' her in court to push his brother over the edge... so there is NO way she would take pity on him that Chuck cut him out of his will and then give him some money.

So this would be fitting in how Jimmy is good at "tearing things down." and ultimately screwed himself in the long run.
Old 06-21-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I could've swore I heard the sound of the gas on while Chuck was trying to kick the lantern over, so I was expecting a huge explosion or something instead. But since it was a regular fire, Chuck could easily have gotten up and walked out without suffering much damage.
Old 06-21-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I could've swore I heard the sound of the gas on while Chuck was trying to kick the lantern over, so I was expecting a huge explosion or something instead. But since it was a regular fire, Chuck could easily have gotten up and walked out without suffering much damage.
That was the sound of the lantern fuel burning. I'm having a hard time buying Chuck as suicidal since he's so self-centered and domineering. It makes sense from a plotline standpoint but it would be more in character for him to stroll out of his burning house and blame everyone else for what just happened.
Old 06-21-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I really thought one of the bookcases was going to fall on him when he was taking the ax to them.
So did I. I was thinking the season would end with him dead and I thought that was going to be it.
Old 06-21-17, 04:53 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I was certain he was going to several times in this episode -- jumping off the balcony at the law firm, electrocuting himself pulling wiring or bashing the meter, falling from the ladder -- by the time the lantern scene rolled around, it struck me as much less tragic simply because of so many letdowns.

When he was kicking the table to knock off the lantern, it looked like he could barely move. I wonder if having his flesh burned would have shocked him out of his lethargic state. I think he's dead, but my wife is much less certain (the old TV rule of character will only die if you actually see his death on screen).
Old 06-21-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm really not seeing Chuck surviving. At this point there'd really be no purpose to having him survive after all that's happened with his personal and professional demise. Chuck's piece of Jimmy's story line has been exhausted now - there's nothing left to explore.
Old 06-21-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes!! and Jimmy burned that bridge when he 'used' her in court to push his brother over the edge... so there is NO way she would take pity on him that Chuck cut him out of his will and then give him some money.

So this would be fitting in how Jimmy is good at "tearing things down." and ultimately screwed himself in the long run.
I definitely don't think Jimmy screwed himself over in the long run by using Chuck's ex-wife at the disciplinary hearing. He knew he was going to have to burn that bridge but
1). Jimmy was fighting for his law license. He could have been disbarred for life if Chuck had gotten his way.
2). He covered for Chuck many times i.e. flashback of the dinner when the ex-wife was in town again and Chuck had his episode with the phone
3). the ex-wife traveled all over the world and seem to be pretty much out of the picture. If she did get an inheritance, I doubt she would have given Jimmy any thought and would have assumed Chuck took care of it and Jimmy got his share.

4). Chuck was a complete dick so I am not sad he is gone.
Old 06-21-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
That was the sound of the lantern fuel burning. I'm having a hard time buying Chuck as suicidal since he's so self-centered and domineering. It makes sense from a plotline standpoint but it would be more in character for him to stroll out of his burning house and blame everyone else for what just happened.
You raise an interesting point about Chuck not being the suicidal type, though he was obviously riding the crazy train for a good part of the episode. But it could be just a cry for attention/sympathy, a way to re-establish some form of control on those around him. Otherwise, who is going to bring him his daily newspaper?
Old 06-21-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I can easily see Chuck being suicidal. Not only could he not beat his "disease", he got a glimpse of what it was like to be normal. Not now, he's lost his wife, lost his brother, lost his career, and lost whatever ability he had to live a normal life. What else did he have to live for?
Old 06-21-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I can easily see Chuck being suicidal. Not only could he not beat his "disease", he got a glimpse of what it was like to be normal. Not now, he's lost his wife, lost his brother, lost his career, and lost whatever ability he had to live a normal life. What else did he have to live for?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.