TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Nevertheless, She Persisted" -- 5/22/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 07:01 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Supergirl (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Nevertheless, She Persisted" -- 5/22/17

SEASON FINALE

SUPERGIRL

"Nevertheless, She Persisted" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

SUPERGIRL FIGHTS FOR HER CITY; SUPERMAN RETURNS - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) challenges Rhea (guest star Teri Hatcher) to battle to save National City. Meanwhile, Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin) returns and Cat Grant (guest star Calista Flockhart) offers Supergirl some sage advice. Glen Winter directed the episode with story by Andrew Kreisberg & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Robert Rovner & Caitlin Parrish (#222). Original airdate 5/22/2017.
Renewed for Season 3.

Last edited by dex14; 05-22-17 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Nevertheless, She Persisted" -- 5/22/17

Woohoo more girl power! Good to know women are so much better than their weak-willed emotionally crippled male counterparts.
Old 05-23-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E22) -- Season Finale -- "Nevertheless, She Persisted" -- 5/22/17

Damn, they blew a season's budget on the special effects in this one, huh?
Old 05-23-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Damn, they blew a season's budget on the special effects in this one, huh?
The producers mentioned that they salted away some fx money just for a few shots they wanted in this episode.
Old 05-23-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Superman-Supergirl fight looked great for a television show. Better than anything we've gotten on the Flash.

Some of the lines they gave Superman in this episode were ridiculous.
Old 05-23-17, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Who writes this show? Terrible.

Yes I realize it's "Supergirl" but how does she beat Superman, who's been on Earth much longer? They didn't put enough effort in telling us what a pussy Superman is.

Mon-El had to leave Earth- couldn't they have stuck him in the Fortress or somewhere while they worked on a solution? Wouldn't any race with spaceflight capability be able to communicate with Earth? Wouldn't putting lead into the atmosphere fuck it up for humans too?

Last scene- Doomsday?

Last edited by Eric F; 05-23-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Maybe the silver kryptonite also caused Superman to be less powerful? Don't know much about it so that is what I assumed.
Old 05-23-17, 05:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the silver kryptonite also caused Superman to be less powerful? Don't know much about it so that is what I assumed.
Nope. His penis already makes him less powerful.
Old 05-23-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Who writes this show? Terrible.

Yes I realize it's "Supergirl" but how does she beat Superman, who's been on Earth much longer? They didn't put enough effort in telling us what a pussy Superman is.

Mon-El had to leave Earth- couldn't they have stuck him in the Fortress or somewhere while they worked on a solution? Wouldn't any race with spaceflight capability be able to communicate with Earth? Wouldn't putting lead into the atmosphere fuck it up for humans too?

Last scene- Doomsday?
I agree that I know the show is called "Supergirl" but no need to make two of the most powerful DC characters (Superman and Martian Manhunter) into second tier heroes.

The show went out of its way to say that was not the case. The writers made Superman say he was at full strength and Kara beat him and that she was "Earth's champion." I liked this Superman in the earlier episodes but would have preferred they not use him in this way to promote an agenda. Plus the geek in me says not possible.

Effects were good and hope Mon El is not gone for good.

Last edited by Kdogg; 05-23-17 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to admit I agree the writing was terrible in regards to the lead device being the solution to it all. Certainly would be harmful to humans in any reality that would make it harmful to the aliens.

As for Superman, seemed necessary to have her beat him given the went with the "possessed" storyline. They could have easily not inserted that into the plot, but once there, she had to beat him in some way. Doesn't seem that much of a stretch since they supposedly have the same powers and she caught him with a sweet knock out punch. Nothing was said about it not going a different way the next time they go at it.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-23-17 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on, guys. we all know that lead has no negative effects on humans, right Michigan?
Old 05-23-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It's a show called Supergirl, of course she's going to best a possessed Superman. I thought that sequence was phenomenal, and yeah, better than anything on the Flash.

Random thoughts:
All of Cat Grant's lines (girl power!) were cringeworthy. Seeing the White Martians was cool. All the girl power stuff was kinda over the top in this one.

I'm kinda glad Mon El is gone. He added nothing to the show. He ended up being nothing more than a plot device to draw his parents/invasion.

Guardian does need a new/colorful suit. He looked no different than the Daximites.... aaaand speaking of, so they ripped of the Stargate previously, now Daximites use Jaffa staffs as well? So Daximites = Goa'uld? Do we have some former SG-1 writers on staff?
Old 05-24-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

It's not the first time it's been implied or even shown that Supergirl is more powerful than Kal. Shit, I could swear that even in the JL cartoon she was more powerful.

Also, they made a point that the lead would be in "trace" amounts. Not enough to harm humans*, but enough to harm Daxamites. But I guess ya'll missed that. Just proves my point that when people are in "i hate this show/movie!!" mode...they miss fuckin' plot DETAILS.

*(is there a safe amount? But they were gonna die anyway so fuck it)

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-24-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would not have killed Queen Lois. But overall a good ep. Nice to see fine ass White Martian chick.
Old 05-24-17, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's not the first time it's been implied or even shown that Supergirl is more powerful than Kal. Shit, I could swear that even in the JL cartoon she was more powerful.

Also, they made a point that the lead would be in "trace" amounts. Not enough to harm humans*, but enough to harm Daxamites. But I guess ya'll missed that. Just proves my point that when people are in "i hate this show/movie!!" mode...they miss fuckin' plot DETAILS.

No, we didn't miss the "trace amount" comment, but wouldn't changing the Earth's atmosphere in any particular way have long term repercussions?
Old 05-24-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's more like how little lead it takes to be dangerous to humans and pretending that less than that could harm aliens, but not humans.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-24-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, we didn't miss the "trace amount" comment, but wouldn't changing the Earth's atmosphere in any particular way have long term repercussions?
Apparently not on Supergirl's Earth. Just flow with it...
Old 05-24-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

You guys

Supergirl has beat Superman a few times in the comics. It just happens.

Many characters in the DC Universe have noted that Supergirl appears at times to be even more powerful than Superman himself; however, as Superman explains, she may appear so because he has spent a lifetime subconsciously suppressing his powers to avoid harming others while Kara, without such experience, recklessly uses her powers to the fullest.
I believe in New 52 it was also shown that her extra time in space exposed her to more yellow sun and her pod was super charging her.
Old 05-24-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^Thank you!!
Old 05-24-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

There sure are a lot of angry little men who watch Supergirl
Old 05-24-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
There sure are a lot of angry little men who watch Supergirl

You don't say.
Old 05-24-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

This show does have some issues of trying too hard. I've watch many other shows with women as the leads and they really don't feel the need to prove anything as they just show what they can do which always worked. I get it they wanted to make it really clear that Superman was at full power. However you can call someone else strong without acting like you are weak.

Overall it was still an entertaining episode and I can see they did save a BIT of their budget for it.
Old 05-24-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Isn't it just like "War of the Worlds" where we can live on this planet with bacteria and viruses and the aliens couldn't? Seems like a perfectly fine "comic book" explanation on how to get rid of these aliens and keep them from coming back.

As for all of the bitching about "girl power", of course people here are upset

Just think - if Alex and Kara were men instead of women and had the exact same scenes, would you still be upset?
Old 05-24-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Lead is a cumulative-dose poison. Small amounts are in fact harmless, it's only when you cross an individually-defined threshold that it harms you.

The Daxamite vulnerability to lead as shown on Supergirl looks a lot like a lethal allergy. Daxamites collapsing while the humans feel nothing is no different than me eating all the peanuts I like while somebody with a peanut allergy can't.

Last edited by randian; 05-24-17 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

There were many problems with this episode beyond the obvious gender politics. Supergirl doesn't have very good writers even by the low standards of the CW, and no amount of charisma from the actors can overcome that hurdle. With Superman around in the finale, they had an easy angle of placing Mon-El in the Phantom Zone if they wanted. It wasn't even suggested as a possibility.

There doesn't seem to be a sane voice of reason in the writing room that understands these characters, beyond surface traits gleaned from wikipedia.

Given the massive drop in ratings from its debut episode, they've dropped the ball with Supergirl. Most of the expected audience has already tuned out the show and aren't coming back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.