Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Old 03-04-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pushing Daisies creator angling for new Star Trek TV show!

Very interesting:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/...k_tv_show.html

Pushing Daisies creator angling for new Star Trek TV show

Martin Anderson

Bryan Fuller goes boldly in search of a retro-trek TV experience...

Published on Mar 3, 2009

Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller - who now has a bit of time on his hands -has revealed that he is trying to get a new TV vision for Star Trek off the ground.

In an interview with IF magazine, the writer and producer said: "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trek series and have an idea that I’m kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colours and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the ‘60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

Fuller's vision for the putative new show is one based on 'old-style' Star Trek, and presumably he might have to fight a great many other contenders if J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie is the blockbuster Paramount hopes for in May - not least of whom is Abrams, currently a more formidable presence in television. There's obvious potential to simply reboot The Original Series with a new TV cast playing Kirk, Spock, McCoy et al, running in tandem with a new cinematic Star Trek prequel franchise.

The last time the federation was on the small screen was for the four-season run of Enterprise, which ended when the series was cancelled in 2005. By general consensus, Star Trek product had been over-saturating TV for years...but has the jaded palette of viewers been cleansed enough now for a new infusion of episodic Enterprise antics?

Fuller is no Trek-amateur - he produced the final season of Voyager and contributed 22 episodes as writer to both Deep Space Nine and Voyager.
Old 03-04-09, 09:42 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
Re: Pushing Daisies creator angling for new Star Trek TV show!

No Kristen Chenoweth = No Sale
Old 03-04-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had no idea Fuller was so involved with ST.

I say give him a shot at it, as long as it's done on cable at about a pace of 12 episodes a season.
Old 03-04-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fuller was treated like dogshit on Voyager, according to Ron Moore who at the time was obviously close to the situation, working with him on some DS9 episodes (two fantastic and dark episodes: 'The Darkness and the Light' and 'Empok Nor' both in it's fifth season), and also during Moore's very brief stint on Voyager.
Old 03-04-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know about the ST connection either.

I didn't watch Enterprise when it was on, but a year or two ago I went through it on DVD and liked it. I thought it recaptured the original's sense of adventure and exploration without the camp. Still, even if the movie is a hit I don't think TV land is any more receptive to a new ST series than it was a few years ago.
Old 03-04-09, 11:24 PM

Jeez the movie isn't even out yet and someone wants to put it back on TV.

There's obvious potential to simply reboot The Original Series with a new TV cast playing Kirk, Spock, McCoy et al, running in tandem with a new cinematic Star Trek prequel franchise
No that wouldn't confuse the audience Paramount is going after OR further piss off the original series fanbase at all . . .

For the record I am all for the new movie, hope it does well and excited to see it, but I don't want to see anymore Trek on TV for a long long time.
Old 03-04-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
No Kristen Chenoweth = No Sale
Kristen Chenoweth = No Sale
Old 03-05-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

No, no, 1000 times no. One of the reasons (although not the only reason) the movies started to perform poorly after Star Trek IV was because there was more and more new Star Trek on TV.

Let's keep Star Trek a once-every-three years movie experience for a decade or so...THEN we can start thinking about a new TV series.
Old 03-05-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No more Star Trek Tv. Period.
Old 03-05-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like star trek tv, if it is a new idea.
Old 03-05-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

i'm in. i agree that doing a reboot about the kirk/spock days only goes to confuse casual fans. i think paramount may think about this hard if the movie ends up doing well at the box office. as long as you can have creative people such as Abrams/Fuller behind the show, I think it will definitely be a higher quality product.
Old 03-05-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 598 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Let's keep Star Trek a once-every-three years movie experience for a decade or so...THEN we can start thinking about a new TV series.
I agree.
Old 03-05-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bring back Star Trek=GOOD IDEA

Bring back old style Star Trek+AWFUL IDEA.

I do NOT want to see new actors cast in the iconic roles. It's not a fan boy obsession that only the original actors can do the roles justice...I don't believe that for one second and am confident if we can find different actors to play iconic roles such as Batman and James Bond then different actors can tackle James T. Kirk and crew...but it's like ENOUGH already with the old Trek.

I grew up with the Next Generation crew, and loved the idea of them jumping 80 years in the future after the last series. That's what I really want to see them do...jump another generation or two into the future and tell tales of the Federation many, many years from now. If done well enough, it could have the tone of the original series but be completely different from what we know already and has become tired and worn out.

Last edited by calhoun07; 03-05-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
i'm in. i agree that doing a reboot about the kirk/spock days only goes to confuse casual fans.
You have that lack of faith in the viewing audience that you think it would actually CONFUSE them?

You know the reason the producers of Smallville didn't want to develop a romantic relationship with Lois on the show before Superman Returns came out was because they thought it would confuse people. As if they can't figure out one is a TV show and one is a movie, one is Erica Durance and one is Kate Bosworth.

That's corporate mindset there, and it's just asinine. Not you, but that mindset. It's like saying Daniel Craig confuses Roger Moore fans or something.
Old 03-05-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

sure, it confuses people. it muddies the brand. i mean, if they continue with the movie cast making ST movies, why should the casual fan go to see if there is a TV show with the same characters?
Old 03-05-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Fuller was treated like dogshit on Voyager, according to Ron Moore who at the time was obviously close to the situation, working with him on some DS9 episodes (two fantastic and dark episodes: 'The Darkness and the Light' and 'Empok Nor' both in it's fifth season), and also during Moore's very brief stint on Voyager.
Didn't Braga take over and they both left?

As far as a new show goes, I just don't think they should do it. Fuller or no Fuller. No more prequels.
Old 03-05-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
sure, it confuses people. it muddies the brand. i mean, if they continue with the movie cast making ST movies, why should the casual fan go to see if there is a TV show with the same characters?
I agree with muddles the brand. But I still say it doesn't confuse people. Over expose it? Certainly.

Your last argument reminds me of the opening sequence in the Simpsons movie when Homer is mad because he got dragged to the Itchy and Scratchy movie because he can watch the show on TV for free. Yet casual fans showed up for the Simpsons movie and other TV to movie movies.
Old 03-05-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Paramount no longer has a network, so they won't be in any hurry to produce a new (or old) Trek show.
Old 03-05-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Paramount no longer has a network, so they won't be in any hurry to produce a new (or old) Trek show.
Yet they managed to make Next Generation and Deep Space Nine without having a network, so why wouldn't they?
Old 03-05-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I say give him a shot at it, as long as it's done on cable at about a pace of 12 episodes a season.
I'd love to see it set in the era of TOS, but on another ship, maybe one that Kirk and Co. ran into during the original series, and do it not only with the cable style 12 eps a season, but make each little season a somewhat contained story thing. If it doesn't go past 1 season, it can still be sold as a "mini-series" type package.
Old 03-05-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Yet they managed to make Next Generation and Deep Space Nine without having a network, so why wouldn't they?
Probably because there's no longer any real first-run dramatic syndication market left.
Old 03-05-09, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Didn't Braga take over and they both left?
Braga's well-documented behavior of being a complete ass drove his former writing partner/friend Ron Moore to leave after only a few episodes into that season he joined, but Fuller stayed pretty much till the end.
Old 03-05-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Probably because there's no longer any real first-run dramatic syndication market left.
Well, I never indicated it had to be syndicated. Somebody brought up the idea of doing it on cable. That's a decent idea. And a 12 episode season is a great idea...we don't need no stinkin' filler episodes!

I'd really like to see what Bryan Fuller had in mind for this. I liked all his work so far.
Old 03-05-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they ever going to do something post Nemesis? I'm sick of all the prequel business...
Old 03-05-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Are they ever going to do something post Nemesis? I'm sick of all the prequel business...
If they don't jump in the future another generation or two, I always wanted to see a series with Captain Riker and his new crew. I know they put out some books, but it's just not the same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.