Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Steve Harvey's email to staff

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Steve Harvey's email to staff

Chicago media reporter Robert Feder obtained a copy this week of an email that Harvey sent to staff at his Chicago-based TV show at the beginning of the fall season. The text was included in an article about Harvey's show leaving Chicago, so it's one of the soon-to-be-unemployed staffers that leaked it to Feder.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/05/1...ey-leave-town/

Good morning, everyone. Welcome back.

I’d like you all to review and adhere to the following notes and rules for Season 5 of my talk show.

There will be no meetings in my dressing room. No stopping by or popping in. NO ONE.

Do not come to my dressing room unless invited.

Do not open my dressing room door. IF YOU OPEN MY DOOR, EXPECT TO BE REMOVED.

My security team will stop everyone from standing at my door who have the intent to see or speak to me.

I want all the ambushing to stop now. That includes TV staff.

You must schedule an appointment.

I have been taken advantage of by my lenient policy in the past. This ends now. NO MORE.

Do not approach me while I’m in the makeup chair unless I ask to speak with you directly. Either knock or use the doorbell.

I am seeking more free time for me throughout the day.

Do not wait in any hallway to speak to me. I hate being ambushed. Please make an appointment.

I promise you I will not entertain you in the hallway, and do not attempt to walk with me.

If you’re reading this, yes, I mean you.

Everyone, do not take offense to the new way of doing business. It is for the good of my personal life and enjoyment.

Thank you all,

Steve Harvey
I used to work for Jerry Springer (actually, in the same Chicago studio in NBC Tower where Harvey taped) and I can tell you Jerry was the complete opposite regarding this kinda thing! The makeup chair doorbell actually cracks me up.
Old 05-11-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Steve Harvey's email to staff

I think it's common knowledge that Harvey has always been a dick.
Old 05-11-17, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I have always enjoyed his show, but I am curious as to how its going to be different with its move to LA.
Old 05-11-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I view this letter as him setting up some hard boundaries. It does come across as harsh, but think about it...you're trying to get ready for a show and people are in your face about all kinds of shit when you just want to focus on what's coming up...people always in your face about "this deal and that deal"....people always asking for this and that. He even says MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to say I'm available, but I need to manage that availability. So it's not like he's pulling a don't even talk to me move.

I don't condone the TONE of his letter...but I understand it.
Old 05-11-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

The dude has three ongoing TV shows and is busy as shit hosting all kinds of other stuff as well. He has a family and probably gets the shit bugged out of his constantly. He could have probably been a little nicer about it but I can't really blame him for wanting to tell people to fuck off.
Old 05-11-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

It sounds harsh upon initial viewing, but after thinking about it, I understand why he's doing it.

As the sole talent of a daily show, people probably bug him, nag him about some really petty things. He's probably sick and tired of it. He probably wants his Producers and Management staff to deal with it. As ^^^ he said, he's probably setting some hard boundaries on what's reasonable to talk to him about.
Old 05-11-17, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think it's common knowledge that Harvey has always been a dick.

Save that cookie ladies!
Old 05-11-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It sounds harsh upon initial viewing, but after thinking about it, I understand why he's doing it.

As the sole talent of a daily show, people probably bug him, nag him about some really petty things. He's probably sick and tired of it. He probably wants his Producers and Management staff to deal with it. As ^^^ he said, he's probably setting some hard boundaries on what's reasonable to talk to him about.
I agree with that. But it should have come from the Executive Producer or someone at a similar level. Speaking for him is better than him laying down those kinds of rules for himself.
Old 05-11-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I have no problem with this.
Old 05-11-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Chicago media reporter Robert Feder obtained a copy this week of an email that Harvey sent to staff at his Chicago-based TV show at the beginning of the fall season. The text was included in an article about Harvey's show leaving Chicago, so it's one of the soon-to-be-unemployed staffers that leaked it to Feder.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/05/1...ey-leave-town/

Good morning, everyone. Welcome back.

I’d like you all to review and adhere to the following notes and rules for Season 5 of my talk show.

There will be no meetings in my dressing room. No stopping by or popping in. NO ONE.

Do not come to my dressing room unless invited.

Do not open my dressing room door. IF YOU OPEN MY DOOR, EXPECT TO BE REMOVED.

My security team will stop everyone from standing at my door who have the intent to see or speak to me.

I want all the ambushing to stop now. That includes TV staff.

You must schedule an appointment.

I have been taken advantage of by my lenient policy in the past. This ends now. NO MORE.

Do not approach me while I’m in the makeup chair unless I ask to speak with you directly. Either knock or use the doorbell.

I am seeking more free time for me throughout the day.

Do not wait in any hallway to speak to me. I hate being ambushed. Please make an appointment.

I promise you I will not entertain you in the hallway, and do not attempt to walk with me.

If you’re reading this, yes, I mean you.

Everyone, do not take offense to the new way of doing business. It is for the good of my personal life and enjoyment.

Thank you all,

Steve Harvey
I'm imaging Kenan Thompson, playing Steve Harvey, reading this.
Old 05-11-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it is fair. He is trying to manage his time, and we have no idea what is going on in his personal life or how he reacts to information where he is asked to make a decision, mediate, people complaining about problems, proposals, etc.

For all we know his personality is one that 'dwells' on these issues, or one that can not move on until he 'solves' the issue - this personality trait can cause a lot of stress, interfere with his daily or personal life.

Yes this comes across 'harshly' but he does say that people need to make an appointment and that seems like the opportunity to talk to him. I know a lot of executives that require you to make an appointment with them for a meeting, phone call, etc. This is no different - Except that on a television set you more accessible and can not lock yourself away in an office and do work on a computer or phone.

I applaud him for taking control of his life and not allowing being labeled as an 'ass hole' to effect his personal well being - this actually takes a lot of courage to do.
Old 05-11-17, 08:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

fixed

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think it's common knowledge that Harvey has always been a racist dick.
Old 05-11-17, 08:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Reminds me of what Ringo did

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gpd24yVy5C4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-11-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't care for Steve Harvey, but this email is hardly shocking. I see no reason not to believe him that being inundated by people at the last minute was a problem and he wants to change that. As for the email's "tone", it sounds like the tone of a guy who's the boss.
Old 05-11-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

First of all, it's hard to know if that e-mail is given in context - it could be a running joke with the staff and this was his latest entry.

As for the video - the dude is opinionated. I don't have a problem with that. It's refreshing to see someone not so PC.

The above said, I'm not a Harvey fan, but I'm not a hater either. There's a lot worse celebs out there.
Old 05-11-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
First of all, it's hard to know if that e-mail is given in context - it could be a running joke with the staff and this was his latest entry.

As for the video - the dude is opinionated. I don't have a problem with that. It's refreshing to see someone not so PC.

The above said, I'm not a Harvey fan, but I'm not a hater either. There's a lot worse celebs out there.
It wasn't a joke. He was indeed serious. He was interviewed on Entertainment Tonight about it this evening.
Old 05-12-17, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get it. I've worked with on-air talent going on seventeen years now. Being a public figure is not easy.
I literally worked today with who I thought was just some random morning show guy and then watched as I got interrupted by fans wanting autographs and pictures from him just doing a promo downtown. But the tone is what makes it shitty. A "please" or "I ask you to" would have helped but this is just barking and talking down to people and no one likes to be treated like that. If you want someone to treat you with respect, give them the same in return.
Old 05-12-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I have similar problems. You can't be distracted and end up talking to people all day long.

I guess there's two ways to do it... First, some people I know just cut you the-fuck off before you can talk to them for too long. I'm pretty sure they're conscious they do it. I haven't developed this skill yet. I'm usually the guy who gets sucked into talking too much.

Or, you can do what Steve did. Be upfront. I don't have a big problem with this. Though I would have been a little less of a dramatic about it.
Old 05-12-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

As most have already said I have no issue with it either. Not a fan of him or his shows per se but I can completely understand the need not to be bothered all the time.

When I have important reports to do I come into the office on Saturday. I can get more done in 4 hours vs. two days during the week. I am constantly interrupted.
Old 05-12-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I'd schedule an appointment, show up and say "Good morning." Then walk away.
Old 05-12-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I have similar problems. You can't be distracted and end up talking to people all day long.

I guess there's two ways to do it... First, some people I know just cut you the-fuck off before you can talk to them for too long. I'm pretty sure they're conscious they do it. I haven't developed this skill yet. I'm usually the guy who gets sucked into talking too much.

Or, you can do what Steve did. Be upfront. I don't have a big problem with this. Though I would have been a little less of a dramatic about it.
Again I agree with all of this but it just shouldn't have come from Steve. You want the EPs and management to be the bad guys - not the talent.
Old 05-12-17, 10:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

he'll be wishing to have anyone to talk to once his career is in the crapper...
Old 05-12-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the email overly dickish? Maybe. But for all we know he tried to get the point across in a more polite manner in the past and it didn't work. Context is important here and we don't know what it is.
Old 05-12-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
he'll be wishing to have anyone to talk to once his career is in the crapper...
Not gonna happen anytime soon...
Old 05-12-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
Yeah, hes got like 38 jobs hosting various shows. Plus if all else fails he can go back to being touring comedian. Which at his fame level is a license to print money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.