Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Gods (Starz) -- From Neil Gaiman / Bryan Fuller -- Premieres 4/30/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Gods (Starz) -- From Neil Gaiman / Bryan Fuller -- Premieres 4/30/17

Old 05-04-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: American Gods (Starz) -- Season 1 Thread -- From Bryan Fuller -- Premieres 4/30/1

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I re-watched that opening scene and I did indeed miss the "To America" lead in and the "Wōdan" name drop. This is definitely one of those series that must be watched very closely for the references.
The scene where the vikings all burned out an eye was another big clue.
Old 05-08-17, 12:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: American Gods (Starz) -- Season 1 Thread -- From Bryan Fuller -- Premieres 4/30/1

So is Stormare Thor?

Decent second episode despite way too many useless artsy shots of candles and flames.

Havent puzzled out the two new gods they introduced
Old 05-08-17, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
So is Stormare Thor?

Decent second episode despite way too many useless artsy shots of candles and flames.

Havent puzzled out the two new gods they introduced
No, he's not Thor.
Spoiler:
He is a black/evil Slavic deity named Czernobog. The brother he mentions is Belobog the white/good god.

Yes I had to look it up. Of course, Entertainment Weekly is calling him Slavic Thor so...

Last edited by stingo; 05-08-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-08-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well that escalated quickly. I guess thats why the sisters were alarmed when they read his coffee remnants and told him he wouldn't die of cancer. I'm guessing Shadow is the son of a god or something. Thats why all of these deities are interested in him.
Old 05-08-17, 11:19 AM

Definitely wasn't a good idea to go through his dead wife's phone.
Old 05-08-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I really cannot stand Peter Stormare and think he is awful and overacts in everything he has ever been in especially ones that he uses an accent in so parts of this episode were really a chore for me but still liking it overall even though it is a mindfuck and I have no idea what is going on.
Old 05-08-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Definitely wasn't a good idea to go through his dead wife's phone.
But then he would have been deprived of seeing
Old 05-08-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love Peter Stormare and this series so far. It really helps that I read a characters break down before the series started. It's the only way the two modern gods made sense when watching the episodes. Not sure how viewers are supposed to know what is going on without reading that kind of cheat sheet before hand. And as such, this series may fail given the audiences that gives it a chance end up far too confused to continue with it.
Old 05-08-17, 06:13 PM

Love Peter Stormare and this series so far. It really helps that I read a characters break down before the series started. It's the only way the two modern gods made sense when watching the episodes. Not sure how viewers are supposed to know what is going on without reading that kind of cheat sheet before hand. And as such, this series may fail given the audiences that gives it a chance end up far too confused to continue with it.
Stormare was awesome in this episode. Seems like it would have made more sense to have his coming to America story at the beginning of this episodes instead of Anansi (which was a great story, BTW). I can definitely see how this show can create confusion for people, as it doesn't spoon feed the audience on who these gods are.
Old 05-08-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Stormare was awesome in this episode. Seems like it would have made more sense to have his coming to America story at the beginning of this episodes instead of Anansi (which was a great story, BTW). I can definitely see how this show can create confusion for people, as it doesn't spoon feed the audience on who these gods are.
I was wondering the same thing. Why not at least have the same god's "America" scene in he same episode he appears in otherwise. But at the same time, this is the second time they have showed Sheba and not explained much about her and how she fits into the story. But at least this time it was more clear what happens to each of her sex partners.
Old 05-08-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where is this cheat sheet you speak of?
Old 05-09-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thrush
Posted about it earlier in the thread. Entertainment Weekly published an article before the premiere aired that not only went into what the series would be about, but a rundown of each of the major characters and who would be playing them. No major spoilers, just a cheat sheet to help explain what was largely unexplained in the first few episodes.
Old 05-09-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, it took me more Googling than I expected going in (EW has written a lot about the show), but I think this is the article hdnmickey's referring to:
EW - American Gods: Everything you need to know about the epic new series
Old 05-09-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

If I never heard Fuller was involved it, I would have guessed it anyway due to the music and the visuals. Very reminiscent of Hannibal.
Old 05-09-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
OK, it took me more Googling than I expected going in (EW has written a lot about the show), but I think this is the article hdnmickey's referring to:
EW - American Gods: Everything you need to know about the epic new series
I was actually referring to the article printed in the actual magazine since I have a subscription. But after quickly going through the online article at that link, it seems very similar.
Old 05-10-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Here's another guide:

Wiki
Old 05-10-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure how viewers are supposed to know what is going on without reading that kind of cheat sheet before hand. And as such, this series may fail given the audiences that gives it a chance end up far too confused to continue with it.
Apparently, the book has a huge cult following, so there's a built-in audience they're counting on to get past the learning curve. Personally, I never heard of it, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.
Old 05-10-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Apparently, the book has a huge cult following, so there's a built-in audience they're counting on to get past the learning curve. Personally, I never heard of it, but I'm enjoying the ride so far.
I've read that angle multiple times and yet the movie/show still fails because so many people are like me and most of the avid book readers I know. They've been burned enough times that they don't even bother with most adaptations anymore.
Old 05-10-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read that angle multiple times and yet the movie/show still fails because so many people are like me and most of the avid book readers I know. They've been burned enough times that they don't even bother with most adaptations anymore.
I don't know, Lord of the Rings did OK.

Here's another guide from a superfan:

Guide to Gods
Old 05-11-17, 01:49 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah, but that had a simple story that was easy to follow.
Old 05-11-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So did the Potter movies. Exceptions don't disprove my point about how many adaptions are failures. Especially those that adapt far newer novels than the Hobbit/LOTR.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 05-11-17 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-11-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Renewed for a second season: http://deadline.com/2017/05/american...er-1202089641/
Old 05-11-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Fantastic!
Old 05-11-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Great.
Old 05-15-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats a helluva coin if it can wake the dead. Also I wonder who/what Shadow Moon is if he can control the weather.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.