Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

‘Roseanne’ Getting Revival With Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Sara Gilbert & Co.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 01:14 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: One of the biggest comedies of the 1990s, Roseanne, is making a comeback. I hear an eight-episode limited series revival of the hit ABC blue-collar family comedy is in the works with the key cast members reprising their roles, including Roseanne Barr, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert, with Laurie Metcalf and others in the process of joining them. The new installment, produced by the original series’ executive producers Tom Werner, Barr and Bruce Helford as well as Gilbert, is currently in the marketplace, with multiple networks bidding, including Roseanne original home ABC, and Netflix, which has been staging reboots of classic sitcoms, including Full House and One Day At a Time, along with new installments of cult favorites Arrested Development and Gilmore Girls.

Just like with the upcoming new season of Will & Grace, which considered a streaming play before closing a deal at NBC where the original series had aired, ABC is considered the sentimental choice to air the new Roseanne episodes.

Roseanne remains a gold standard for its realistic portrayal of a working-class American family. It centered on the Conners who lived, barely scraping by, in the fictional town of Lanford, Illinois. The revival comes as networks, and particularly ABC, are making a concerted effort to better reflect the lives of everyday Americans.

I hear the intent is for all principal Roseanne actors to appear in some capacity in the reboot, including The Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki.

Like NBC’s Will & Grace‘s comeback, which was triggered by a short election-themed reunion video the stars of the series made last fall, Goodman and Gilbert too recently staged a mini Roseanne revival in a video filmed during Goodman’s visit to CBS’ The Talk, which Gilbert created, co-hosts and executive produces. (You can watch it below).

During Goodman’s interview, he was enthusiastic about doing a Roseanne reboot. “Oh, hell yes… if we could get everyone together,” he told co-host Julie Chen. “The big ‘R’ (Roseanne Barr) and I did a pilot about five years ago that didn’t go anywhere…but we were very happy to work together.”

Gilbert was more cautious when asked if she would do a reboot. “I would. Your only fear is you don’t want to do a bad version, because you don’t want to damage what’s been done.”

Roseanne, produced by indie Carsey-Werner, was a big ratings hit and ran for nine seasons on ABC. Next month, May 20, 2017, marks the 20th anniversary of the Roseanne series finale, which drew 16 million viewers. The family sitcom earned Emmy nominations for Barr, Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert, with Barr winning one and Metcalf three statuettes.

In 2009, on her website Barr gave her detailed take on where each of the main characters from the show would be in a possible Roseanne revival — Roseanne and Jackie opening the first medical marijuana dispensary in Lanford; Dan reappearing alive after faking his death; DJ being published; Mark dying in Iraq; David leaving Darlene for a woman half his age; Darlene coming out, meeting a woman and having a baby with her; Becky working at Walmart; Arnie befriending the Governor of Illinois and remarrying Nancy, Bev selling a painting for $10,000; Jerry and the grandsons forming a boy band; and Bonnie being arrested for selling crack.
http://deadline.com/2017/04/roseanne...rt-1202078883/
Old 04-28-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: ‘Roseanne’ Getting Revival With Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Sara Gilbert & Co.

Originally Posted by dex14
Dan reappearing alive after faking his death
Jesus, that's a worse idea than having killed him off in the first place in a pathetic attempt to force poignancy into an otherwise awful final episode.
Old 04-28-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: ‘Roseanne’ Getting Revival With Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Sara Gilbert & Co.

Good grief. Just let the past live in the past. The show was great at first, but completely sucked in later seasons.
Old 04-28-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I have a feeling this will end up on a streaming service like Hulu or Netflix.

I don't see ABC wanting to pick it up, but then again you never know. Aside from Modern Family, The Middle and Fresh off the Boat, their comedy has stunk in recent years. They might be desperate enough.

Netflix seems like a logical place. They love their nostalgic pick ups and they can call this "A Netflix Original Series" to fill their original content.
Old 04-28-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

With Dan, I would almost just rather them pretend like the final season never happened.
Old 04-28-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Most of it didn't--it was a fabrication for her book in which she was writnig about what life could've been like, not what it was. However, Dan did die fromthe heart attack (vs living after the heart attack and running off with his nurse).
Old 04-28-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Aside from Modern Family, The Middle and Fresh off the Boat, their comedy has stunk in recent years.
Have you watched Black-ish or The Golbergs? They're both hilarious.
Old 04-28-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Most of it didn't--it was a fabrication for her book in which she was writnig about what life could've been like, not what it was. However, Dan did die fromthe heart attack (vs living after the heart attack and running off with his nurse).
I cannot believe you seriously wrote that.
Old 04-28-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Have you watched Black-ish or The Golbergs? They're both hilarious.
Actually I have seen The Goldbergs and like it, but not up to date with it.

Never got into Black-ish.
Old 04-28-17, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Actually I have seen The Goldbergs and like it, but not up to date with it.
It wasn't on the list!!
Old 04-28-17, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Important question: Goransen or Chalke???

I didn't watch the last season of Roseanne, and from what I hear, I didn't miss anything worth seeing. Still, I'd check out a revival.
Old 04-28-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I wonder which Becky we are getting. Mark would either have to be either dead or recast since Glenn Quinn died in 2002.
Old 04-28-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

So they are going to pull a Bobby Ewing with the Dan character? Not sure I want to see John Goodman in the shower, weight loss or not.
Old 04-28-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The first 4-5 years of the show was as good as any sitcom at that time. The last few sucked when Roseanne won the lottery and they pulled a Bewitched and changed the actor who played Becky.
Old 04-28-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

While I enjoyed Roseanne, this is unnecessary. Also, I sort of feel like we have a modern day version of it in the show The Middle.
Old 04-28-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The plot should be that Mulder and Scully are investigating Dan's reappearance only to find out that he had been in Stars Hollow where he became possessed by Bob and that he killed DJ Tanner.
Old 04-28-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Important question: Goransen or Chalke???

I didn't watch the last season of Roseanne, and from what I hear, I didn't miss anything worth seeing. Still, I'd check out a revival.
Originally Posted by mwbmis
I wonder which Becky we are getting. Mark would either have to be either dead or recast since Glenn Quinn died in 2002.
They should both appear ... As a couple. Both named Becky. Say they are married, so they are both Becky Conner ... But don't reveal which is the actual daughter.

The recasting was odd, but the way it was handled (and the return) was golden.
Old 04-28-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Mark would either have to be either dead or recast since Glenn Quinn died in 2002.
...Mark dying in Iraq...
Addressed.

This whole thing looks pointless.
Old 04-29-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Addressed.

I don't know that we should take a Roseanne post to her website as canon.
Old 05-16-17, 01:49 PM

‘Roseanne’ Revival Officially A Midseason-Go At ABC With Becky Twist & Dan Alive
http://deadline.com/2017/05/roseanne...ve-1202094763/
Old 05-16-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

"Arnie befriending the governor of Illinois and remarrying Nancy"

Tom Arnold? Really?
Old 05-16-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
They should both appear ... As a couple. Both named Becky. Say they are married, so they are both Becky Conner ... But don't reveal which is the actual daughter.

The recasting was odd, but the way it was handled (and the return) was golden.
A "Becky twist" and both actresses are appearing ... [ smug grin ]

Old 05-17-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in.
Old 05-17-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Addressed.

It's completely pointless, but it is sort of impressive they reassembled the entire cast like this. I would have thought there would be at least one holdout. There usually is for reunion one off shows.
Old 05-17-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I like John Goodman enough to watch this.

I remember watching the finale when it first aired and though, "fuuuuuk you" in the final minute or two. And I think I was 12-or-so at the time. Still not as heartbreaking as the final moments of The Drew Carey Show where Drew turns off the lights to his living room, and a single gunshot is heard. Or when Balki got stabbed by a junkie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.