Reload this Page >

Not a happy day - Erin Moran RIP

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-22-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,261 Likes on 724 Posts

TMZ reporting 'HAPPY DAYS' STAR DEAD AT 56.
Old 04-22-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Not a happy day - Erin Moran RIP

A rough life after her fame as Joanie. I hadn't heard that she ended up in Indiana.
Old 04-22-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Surprised she made it this long to be honest. She always came across as troubled and unhinged.

Any cause of death yet?
Old 04-22-17, 09:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Not yet. Too bad. Another child star down...
Old 04-22-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Surprised she made it this long to be honest. She always came across as troubled and unhinged.

Any cause of death yet?
Don't think they know yet, but likely a suicide and/or drug overdose.
Old 04-22-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

No cause pending autopsy. She had a pretty crappy later life. She was homeless at one point.
Old 04-22-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad to hear.

One of my favourite all-time shows.

RIP Erin.
Old 04-22-17, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was only recently (last few years) that things got pretty grim for her. She seemed fine and of sound mind on the last Happy Days reunion, and on the Scott Baio reality show. She was on Celebrity Fit Club where she seemed mostly normal except for a few incidents where she got a little manic. That was about 10 years ago.
Old 04-23-17, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Yeah, over the last 15 or so years I'd see something about her on TV or read something in print or online about every 3 or 4 years, and it seemed to get a little worse for her each time.

I remember something about a couple of her former Happy Days co-stars being worried about her some time back, and she had gotten married or had a boyfriend and had to move into a mobile home or a trailer or something because her financial situation had gotten so bad. The last thing I heard was she was saying that she was afraid she'd end up homeless because she just had no money.

She just couldn't adjust to a normal, non-celebrity life. Like a lot of child stars I think there was a lack of preparation - these kids need to be told up front that it will end and they will need to find another line of work. They'll need another way to support themselves financially. The impression I got was that she just couldn't find or hold a job and didn't know what to do. And then there were the stories about drug and/or alcohol addiction. That makes it hard to hold a job, too.

She isn't the first, and isn't likely to be the last. She made it longer than a lot of other troubled former child stars did, but she should have lived a lot longer than 56 years.

The other thing I've heard/read is that she complained about her former co-stars refusing to help her. But I've also read that they offered to help her get into rehab and then get a job. Again, reading between the lines from what everyone has said over the years it seems like she didn't want rehab and help finding a job/career, she just wanted money.

It's just a sad ending that didn't have to happen. Sometimes people make bad choices and refuse to accept that they were bad choices (I've seen that with a couple people I know, too).

And I LOVED Happy Days (I still enjoy it, the first 5 seasons, especially), and I had a crush on Erin (one of many actresses I had crushes on) when I was a young teenager. I always hoped she'd hit bottom and turn her life around. She hit bottom, but she hit it too hard.

R.I.P. - as Henry Winkler said (and I'm paraphrasing it in my words, but his sentiment), maybe now she's found the peace she couldn't find in life.
Old 04-23-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Like a lot of child stars I think there was a lack of preparation - these kids need to be told up front that it will end and they will need to find another line of work.

Unless you're Ron Howard.
Old 04-24-17, 11:31 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Erin Moran -- who famously played Joanie Cunningham on "Happy Days" -- likely died from complications of advanced cancer.

The Harrison County Sheriff's Office said Monday a "joint investigation into Mrs. Moran's death was conducted" and "a subsequent autopsy revealed that Mrs. Moran likely succumbed to complications of stage 4 cancer."

The Sheriff also said "standard toxicology tests were performed and the results are pending, however no illegal narcotics were found at the residence."

We broke the story ... Erin's dead body was found Saturday at her New Salisbury, Indiana residence after someone called to report about an "unresponsive female."

She was 56.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/24/happy-...complications/
Old 04-24-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Sad story. Hope she enjoyed the time she had.
Old 04-24-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

This line posted below made me think "Fuck You TMZ". I mean I get that it's what the industry lives on..being first to break news...but still. it just came across as sleazy. Oh well...

We broke the story ...
Old 04-24-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://people.com/tv/erin-moran-happ...tter_peoplemag

Erin Moran had throat cancer according to Anson Williams. She was unable to speak in her last days.
Old 04-24-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Awful young for throat cancer - unless she chewed tobacco or something.
Old 04-24-17, 06:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Awful young for throat cancer - unless she chewed tobacco or something.
or if she engaged in oral sex.
Old 04-25-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

She must have caught it too late. I know of two people personally who survived throat cancer.
Old 04-25-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

An open letter from her husband with further details about her passing. This was posted on Scott Baio's Facebook page.

Erin and I met 4/22/1992 and parted ways 4/22/2017.

We were planning to go to Thunder Over Louisville to celebrate.

She was feeling fine on our anniversary 11-23-2016.

Maybe four or five days after we got back Erin woke up and had about a dime size blood stain on her pillowcase. She said I think i bit my tongue.

A couple days go by and there's a bigger spot of blood.

We get like 4 days into December, there's more blood. I get a flashlight and say let me look.

It was not her tongue it was her tonsil on the left side. I thought it was tonsillitis. So we went to an ENT who said they wanted to biopsy it. It came back squamous cell carcinoma. She started radiation and chemo. Five days a week radiation and chemo only on Thursdays. We did that the whole time.

It got so bad so fast. By the middle of February, Erin could no longer speak or eat or drink. She had a feeding tube implant and i feed her 6 to 8 times a day. She was still happy, she was active, she texted people on her phone all day.

On the 21st she was having trouble breathing. She woke up on the 22nd, she was not 100%. She needed Kleenex, so i went to the store and came back. She was there watching T.V in bed. I laid down next to her held her right hand in my left. I feel asleep woke up about a hour later still holding her hand and she was gone, she was just gone..

Norton Cancer Institute never said how bad it was.. The coroner told me it was really really bad. It had spread to her spleen, she had alot of fluid in her lungs and part of her brain was infected. The coroner said even if she was in the hospital being pumped full of antibiotics she still would not of made it. He said it was the best that she was with me and went in her sleep.

So that's it.

PLEASE feel free to send the above to Any and ALL news outlets The press has been relentless. they knock on the door constantly.

Thank you Harrison County Sheriff's I Called last night and they came out ran them off got up this morning they were all back sheriffs ran them all off again. the last time two cop cars ran off the last ones right before it got dark. we will see what tomorrow brings....

PEACE my friends.
A little sad to learn about these details. And that this guy is dealing with all the media hoopla, so much so that he feels the needs to share these last few moments of her life.
Old 04-25-17, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

That's a little bit heartbreaking.

RIP
Old 04-25-17, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Man, if she did finally start to get her life turned around, only to be taken down by cancer? That just sucks.

Kind of like how Stevie Ray Vaughan got clean, was happy and healthy, and a year or two later was killed in a helicopter crash!

So sad.
Old 05-04-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Linky: http://stiffs.com/celebrity/erinmoran

Old 05-04-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Man, if she did finally start to get her life turned around, only to be taken down by cancer? That just sucks.

Kind of like how Stevie Ray Vaughan got clean, was happy and healthy, and a year or two later was killed in a helicopter crash!

So sad.
Jimmie Vaughan's quote in the SRV box set always stuck with me...

Old 05-04-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Scott Baio posted this yesterday on Twitter

Old 05-05-17, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Scott Baio posted this yesterday on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ScottBaio/status/859782536313974785
My Happy Days does not have Jenny Piccolo...
Old 05-05-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

Fuck Scott Baio.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.