Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The White Princess (Starz) -- Sequel to The White Queen -- Series Thread -- 4/16/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The White Princess (Starz) -- Sequel to The White Queen -- Series Thread -- 4/16/17

Old 04-16-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,541 Posts

"The White Princess" picks up three days after the conclusion of "The White Queen," as a new generation ascends to the throne in a tale of power, political divides, family, love, and betrayal. "The White Princess" is a gripping historical drama uniquely told from the perspective of the women waging the ongoing battle for the English throne: Lizzie (Jodie Comer), Lady Margaret Beaufort (Michelle Fairley) and Dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville (Essie Davis). The story begins as one of England's most politically turbulent times - The War of the Roses - is coming to an end. An uneasy peace is achieved when former King Richard III is defeated at the Battle of Bosworth, and the victor, Henry Tudor, soon-to-be King Henry VII (Jacob Collins-Levy), is married to Lizzie - a princess from a rival house and Richard III's former lover.

8 episode limited series. This is the sequel to The White Queen.

Obviously this will have very limited appeal to most here. Period genre sequel miniseries. Plus, if you didn't watch The White Queen, you're probably unlikely to watch this.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TJ-q3_b3dkI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-16-17, 11:09 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: The White Princess (Starz) -- Sequel to The White Queen -- Series Thread -- 4/16/

The story picks up 3 days after the finale of a show that aired 4 years ago

I liked "The White Queen" so I will watch this (Rebecca Ferguson )

It's cracked me up how Michelle Fairley is in the previews almost as much as Jodie Comer. I'm surprised they didn't change Lady Margaret to Lady Catelyn.
Old 04-16-17, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The White Princess (Starz) -- Sequel to The White Queen -- Series Thread -- 4/16/

I enjoyed The White Queen and this looks like more of the same. I'll dvr it and get to it sometime.
Old 04-16-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I like the white queen too. will have to dvr this and check it out later.
Old 04-16-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's kinda neat to see how many various tv shows and movies in period settings have snagged actors from Game of Thrones over the last few years. This one's got two, and I saw the trailer for King Arthur yesterday and Lord Bolton popped up too.
Old 04-17-17, 04:19 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I think I spent the first 20 minutes of the episode pausing and google image searching for what characters looked like in "The White Queen."

I thought it was a decent start. So far the characters seem more black and white than they did in the first series.
Old 04-17-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I liked the first few episodes of The White Queen and need to finish it someday.
Old 05-01-17, 03:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The production values on this show are top notch. The scenes at court from at Burgandy were gorgeous.

The lack of nudity for a Starz show is disappointing, Jodie Comer apparently somehow was given a no nudity clause in her deal somehow.
Old 05-01-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Im not feeling it like I did the white queen.
Old 05-01-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
The lack of nudity for a Starz show is disappointing, Jodie Comer apparently somehow was given a no nudity clause in her deal somehow.
Old 06-04-17, 10:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed the series. The tighter focus of the story helped.

We knew the two who had claim would die, didn't expect Elizabeth would have to push Henry to do it.

Watching Margarey Beaufort get what was coming to her was nice to see.
Old 12-24-18, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this during the slow times. The White Queen was definitely the better show with stronger leads. The other thing that really bothered me was how they chose to alter historical events, especially the way they explicitly stated that Elizabeth of York had an incestuous relationship with her father's brother Richard III, and some sort of unrequited love after he died. As this was shown within the first two minutes of the first episode, it really dampened my expectations going forward.

Despite the lack of nudity, they did a really good job showcasing Jodie Comer's heaving bosoms at every opportunity. The performances were all at least adequate. As for how the events shakes out, there is not much surprise for anyone with passing familiarity of English history during that time period.