Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S7E16) -- Season Finale -- "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S7E16) -- Season Finale -- "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E16) -- Season Finale -- "The First Day of the Rest of Your L

Originally Posted by TGM

stop treating fringe characters like leads. they don't need whole episodes dedicated to them.

more screen time for the true leads. additionally more screen time TOGETHER for the true leads.

This is the biggest problem with the show right now. Looking back at Season 7, you had a standalone episode for both Eugene and Tara. You had an episode dedicated to both Rosita and Sasha. That's almost a 1/4 of the season dedicated to characters that nobody cares about. Although they can keep Rosita for eye candy.
Old 04-04-17, 10:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S7E16) -- Season Finale -- "The First Day of the Rest of Your L

Originally Posted by Coral
Those action scenes are hilarious. Horribly set up.

Did Tara shoot Rosita?
I was wondering the same thing. It sure looked like it. But I guess she was shooting at someone else close to her, presumably, we just couldn't see that person.
Old 04-04-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Ugh, that gunfight was laughably bad.
Old 04-04-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not going to be happy about its dwindling numbers. Just feels warm to know I'm not alone. Last show I abandoned like this was the final season or two of The Office. I'll tune in for the finale. It's like a breakup. I was much in love with this show at one point.
So you're planning to tune into the series finale in 2030?

Old 04-04-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So you're planning to tune into the series finale in 2030?

13 more years of......

-Rick yelling Corrrralllll?

-Rosita on the rag

-Eugene Crying?

-Tara contributing nothing?

-Maggie being the head landscaper at Hilltop?

-Father Gabriel having a moral crisis every episode?

-Morgan debating whether he should be a pacifist?

I'm in!!
Old 04-04-17, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another season of Negan? This finale should have been mid season at the latest. For me, the show lost it with Glen falling off the garbage dumpster and survived. That would have such a shocking demise. But he lives to die a gimmicky death instead. This past season felt like a major stall. The finale was fine but a little late.
Old 04-04-17, 01:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper

Does he talk this way in the comics? And does Garbage Lady talk the way she does in the show?

Is this just a way of making them distinctive or charismatic to their followers? What's the time frame since the Zompocalypse began?

Usually this dystopian future type of alternate societies with unique language patterns, traditions, etc. take place in eras in which civilization has totally crumbled and small groups of survivors have emerged from the rubble over several generations that have forgotten the past. ....
I have been thinking this over and each group in an effort to create their own social norms, behavior, and acceptance will develop a unique style of dress, communication, behavior, etc.

Think about when someone joins a street gang - they have their own slang, dress, hair cuts, tattoos. Even if a white kid from suburbia wants to get "in" with a gang or street crew their speech patterns will change - more specifically pick up on "coding" for that group.

I remember in the 90's there were kids that had never stepped foot in New York City - but when they were together they would try to speak like they were born and raised in NYC. They would go home to their parents, code switch, and become the sweet little honor students they knew and loved. We have numerous examples of people speaking in a certain persona to fit in with a group (valleygirls, jive, wiggers, vocal fry)

Google that "Cash me outside" girl. She developed that way of speaking on her own so she would sound more "street"

Overall, I can see these "gangs" of people coming up with their own norms, ways of talking, slang, dress, etc. In such a short period of time. It helps them identify with one another and quickly distinguish outsiders.
Old 04-04-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This show has gotten so absurdly bad, with characters behaving in a manner that no real people would, that I keep expecting SAMCRO to ride into the fray.
Old 04-04-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Spoiler:
Action!

I had a good old laugh at this post. Probably more entertainment than this show has provided for the last half of the season.
Old 04-04-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

The more I look at the one with Maggie running around the car, the more I laugh.

She's like 1 foot in front and beside the gang - she doesn't notice it's them, and they don't even see her. She runs around the car and points the gun towards them, but 3 out of the 4 didn't even acknowledge her existence, and the person who did notice her wasn't even interested enough to do anything.
Old 04-04-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Wondering if the seasons need to be shorter again or if they just need to stop flopping around with getting too the point.
Old 04-04-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
This is correct. With the amount of time they spent on the war in the Comics, anything less than an entire season on the war would be surprising to me.
A whole season for this "war"? Between Alexandria, Hilltop, the Sanctuary, the Kingdom and the junkyard fuckwits (love that term), there can't be more than a couple hundred people, total. Just how many battles are going to take place?
Old 04-04-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Norman Reedus seemed to realize how cheesy that scene was by his reaction. Also, the person that plays Tara is such a terrible actress.
Old 04-05-17, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Action!
Spoiler:

This is what got me with the episode, more than just these were all the scenes of people turning 180 and mowing down a whole group of oncoming attackers. All of the action scenes seemed like shots for the main cast to pose rather than anything coherent.

And there were two instances where the tides turned by a distraction (Sasha and the tiger) and somehow Rick's group overcame, in unison, with guns pointed at them point blank.
Old 04-05-17, 08:42 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
A whole season for this "war"? Between Alexandria, Hilltop, the Sanctuary, the Kingdom and the junkyard fuckwits (love that term), there can't be more than a couple hundred people, total. Just how many battles are going to take place?
It's not just about the battles. Think of the downtime for filler episodes!

Already posted, but I figured I'd add one from another site:

Sunday cable ratings: ‘The Walking Dead’ finale lowest since Season 2

I think the show has jumped the tiger in this case, but I'm in it until the end.
Old 04-05-17, 09:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Another season of Negan? This finale should have been mid season at the latest...This past season felt like a major stall. The finale was fine but a little late.
My thoughts exactly. I really wish they weren't dragging this out, and I won't give this show another thought between now and October or whenever.

And yeah, the gun battles were 100% LOL.
Old 04-05-17, 09:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

This season felt like they blew their budget on the totally-awesome-not-at-all-over-the-top-even-for-a-zombie-show prosthetic work for Glenn and Abe, which is why it was such a slow-moving season with so few episodes with the main characters. In other words, this was a "cheap" season so they could do the next one with more cash. I'm sure they didn't expect such a big ratings drop, though.

Nicotero should not be allowed to direct anymore. His episodes, especially in the last two seasons, have felt clumsy and at the level of an amateur film student at best.

If season 8 is "all out war" with this same level of fight/gunplay choreography, well... at least it'll be entertaining.

Originally Posted by Barth
Norman Reedus seemed to realize how cheesy that scene was by his reaction.
Also, it's like they called "CUT!" but decided to keep the footage after the cut.
The first GIF, with Tara in the front and people fighting behind her, is amazing. Those are opposing sides!
Old 04-05-17, 11:44 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The gif with Rosita getting shot (with no obvious entry wounds) is funny, too. After she supposedly gets hit in the chest she's able to scurry away quite quickly with only the help of Fat Tara.

And what happened to her after she got shot? Were there any more scenes with her? Guess we'll have to wait till next season so we can get a whole episode focused on her recovering from her chest wound.
Old 04-05-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The gif with Rosita getting shot (with no obvious entry wounds) is funny, too. After she supposedly gets hit in the chest she's able to scurry away quite quickly with only the help of Fat Tara.

And what happened to her after she got shot? Were there any more scenes with her? Guess we'll have to wait till next season so we can get a whole episode focused on her recovering from her chest wound.
At the end of the episode you see Rosita and Michone in bed (not together) healing. Tara is at Rosita's bedside and Rick at Michone's with a bandage on his hand. Apparently as soon as the Tiger saved Rick, his wound magically healed and everyone forgot he was shot.

Last edited by Coral; 04-05-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
At the end of the episode you see Rosita and Michone in bed (not together) healing. Tara is at Rosita's bedside and Rick at Michone's with a bandage on his hand. Apparently as soon as the Tiger saved Rick, his wound magically healed and everyone forgot he was shot.
'Tis but a flesh wound.
Old 04-05-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I hung on for about two seasons too long before I mentally checked out on TWD this season. I have no interest in even watching this season finale after reading the reactions.
Old 04-05-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I hung on for about two seasons too long before I mentally checked out on TWD this season. I have no interest in even watching this season finale after reading the reactions.
Neat.
Old 04-05-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally watched the season finale. I watched the entire second half of the season over the last 10 days or so, trying to finish it all before the finale before it aired so nothing would get spoiled for me from friends/Facebook. Obviously I missed the deadline, but interestingly I didn't hear a peep out of my friends or see a single spoiler. Turns out there was nothing to spoil.

I don't mind the slower episodes, and watching one a night they don't have the time to really linger and get on my nerves as much as it seems they did with you all. There was a lot of ridiculousness this season and a ton of stupidity. None of it makes much sense and yet again Negan survives a situation where there's no reason he should. Of course, so does Rick and everyone of importance as well.

High points of the 7.5 season: "2 cars, 1 wire", Carol stuff, Killer Morgan returning
Low points: "RHETORICAL!", Oceanside, Garbage Pail Kids from the year 2600, zero plot advancement, I kinda hate everyone outside of 5 main characters.

Didn't this show hire good character actors at one point? I take that back, it's the writing and direction making good actors look terrible. Xander Berkeley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan deserve better than the crap they have here.
Old 04-06-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Season 7 was cringe worthy. Never saw this show turning into a full blown soap opera. Of course I keep watching but I'm already at the point where I let a few weeks go by then catch up on the episodes.

I don't care about any of the side characters now - If Rick, Carl, Daryl, or Maggie bites it....I would definitely be shocked but all the others (including Michonne) who cares.

Hope they rebound but I think it's time to wrap this gig up.
Old 04-06-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

at the gun fights - I noticed the top one but didn't even catch the others

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.