Reload this Page >

Dancing With The Stars

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dancing With The Stars

Old 03-21-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dancing With The Stars

Whoa...did anyone see Charo attempt to physically attack Bruno last night? Has there ever been a case of a dancer trying to get a piece of a judge before?
Old 03-21-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: 2014 Dancing with the Stars cast

She just a character.
Although she did also say his English stinks.

How about the bull rider attempting to grab his dancer in the P.
Old 03-22-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeah... he's probably smashing that now. Aren't bullriders guaranteed massive amounts of ass?
Old 03-22-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She just a character.
Although she did also say his English stinks.

Why was the frame even that wide to begin with? Seems like it was staged to generate talk and publicity.
Old 04-25-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Dancing With The Stars

I know not many follow this show. I got interested in it for my mother because she liked it and it was tough to find things to talk to her about. I didn't see last night but saw this morning on my news feed Heather Morris got eliminated after scoring a perfect 40? WTF?? I figured she was a shoe-in for the final 3, since she is actually already a dancer. My one complaint about this show, too much of a popularity contest, not enough about the actual dancing.
Old 04-25-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

It certainly is a popularity contest to some extent, but also think there is a portion of the audience who look down upon participants with professional dance experience, considering them to have an unfair advantage, and won't vote for them specifically because of that.
Old 04-25-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I know not many follow this show. I got interested in it for my mother because she liked it and it was tough to find things to talk to her about. I didn't see last night but saw this morning on my news feed Heather Morris got eliminated after scoring a perfect 40? WTF?? I figured she was a shoe-in for the final 3, since she is actually already a dancer. My one complaint about this show, too much of a popularity contest, not enough about the actual dancing.
...and that's my issue with the show.

I thought the whole point of the show was to take B/C/D list celebs with no dance background and have them compete against each other.
Old 04-25-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I agree with both of you. I think dancers and skaters have an unfair advantage and shouldn't be on. However if you do have them on, don't boot them off if they get a perfect 40 when far lower scores were given a pass.

FWIW I never liked the idea of having a 70 year old man compete against a 20 year old gymnast either but I guess they have to create a large cross-section in order to bring in audience.
Old 04-25-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Her perfect 40 last night is a non-factor. Yesterday's performances guide next week's elimination.

What happened to Heather last night was based on last week's judges' score (34/40) & last week's audience voting.
Old 04-25-17, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Her perfect 40 last night is a non-factor. Yesterday's performances guide next week's elimination.

What happened to Heather last night was based on last week's judges' score (34/40) & last week's audience voting.
I haven't watched the show in a number of years, so they only do one show a week now and eliminate people based on last week's scores? The last time I watched, there was a results show a day or two after the dance show.
Old 04-25-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, exactly. With one show a week now, results are not known until the following week.
Old 04-25-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

The show is awful. They should at least do the elimination before anyone dances.
Old 04-25-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

It's an entertainment show, and these days it's built around doing big splashy numbers with big sets and back-up dancers; if all the contestants came in with no knowledge, it'd be a pretty bad 2-hour show. However, last season you had a young gymnast (who won) with a lot of physical and performance experience, and an Indy Racer with absolutely no experience who came in second.

This year has a lot of ringers, -an Olympic gymnast, and Olympic skater, a professional dancer, and a member of a girl group with extensive dance experience (but she's a virtual unknown and that part of her background hasn't gotten any play.

For fans of the show, the Pro dancers have bigger followings than most of the contestants. Heather Morris isn't much of a star (she followed up "Glee" with raising a family), so they paired her with Maks Chmirkovsky, one of the more popular pros. However, Maks was injured early on, and a back-up dancer named Alan (talented, but boyish) took his place. They got a low score last week with a fairly tame number and last night Maks returned as Heather's partner and got a great score. I imagine she's have gotten another week if she'd had Maks as a partner last week.

They could do the results a different way, -they'd love to do a separate results show, -but this way creates Drama. In this case Heather Morris got to go out with a bigger bang than if she'd been sent packing in the first five minutes.
Old 04-25-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should at least do the elimination before anyone dances.
I think the current practice is to respect the fact they've practiced all week... so at least let them show it off.
Old 04-26-17, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand the show is about ratings not dancing. Even one of the pros told her partner, "this show is about personalities and the journey." People like Bill Nye, Bill Engeval and Tommy Chong, were kept around for their popularity, not their dance prowess. I love Bill Engeval as a comedian but as a dancer he should have gotten the boot weeks earlier.

As for Monday night's ep., all four guys (maybe Rashad was the exception) were not as good as the ladies, so when someone you know of goes home in favor of numerous people you don't it takes you out of the show. Bergeron was right, there had never been a more vocal dislike of the elimination, at least in the shows I've seen. They really boo'ed the result.

I watched this mostly to have something to talk about with my mother but did like it when people I knew of were involved. This year I hadn't followed it closely only DVR'ing the last couple episodes because the wife is watching The Voice and I only enjoy the blind auditions.
Old 07-14-20, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews are out as the hosts

Guess this might be one step closer to the end of this series

After 28 seasons, Tom Bergeron will no longer be hosting “Dancing With the Stars.” Erin Andrews, his co-host since season 18, has also departed the show.

Bergeron made the announcement on Twitter on Monday night, saying he had just learned the show would be moving on without him.
“Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It’s been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I’m grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?” he tweeted.
Bergeron co-hosted all 28 seasons of the dance competition show from 2005 through 2020, spanning 15 years and nearly 450 episodes.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...002659684.html

Old 07-14-20, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The producers are promising a new creative direction. That sounds promising.....
Old 07-14-20, 08:18 AM

I had no idea that Erin Andrews was the co-host, so it's been at least that long since I've watched it.
Old 07-14-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
The producers are promising a new creative direction. That sounds promising.....
Maybe they'll start using actual Stars now.
Old 07-14-20, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tyra Banks will be the host and executive producer. The show may very well face a lot of changes this season because of COVID, -perhaps there will be no live audience, perhaps it will be something like the COVID version of American Idol.
Old 07-15-20, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tyra Banks will be the host and executive producer. The show may very well face a lot of changes this season because of COVID, -perhaps there will be no live audience, perhaps it will be something like the COVID version of American Idol.
I had to Google this shit because I thought you were joking.

Old 07-15-20, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts

Tom Bergeron was probably half the reason I liked this show. He was always very quick and witty but also very compassionate--you could tell he really cared about his coworkers. He knew how to keep things going and smooth things out when the live show got bumpy. I liked Erin, too, though I know fans of the show had mixed opinions of her.

Tyra Banks will be the host and executive producer.

I've watched DWTS regularly over the years, but tuned out last season because they dumped my favorite pro (Sharna) and because of the inclusion of Sean Spicer among the contestants. And, really, because none of the 'stars' interested me that much. The shows been on the decline for a long time. Now, ditching Bergeron and replacing him with Banks pretty much kills this show for me--unless they happen to bring Sharna back.
Old 07-16-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Maybe ABC is trying to be "Woke" with hiring Tyra Banks
Old 07-16-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe ABC is trying to be "Woke" with hiring Tyra Banks
That’s a really dumb thing to say. She’s been a very popular celebrity in the public eye for over thirty years, and had her own talk show for many years. In what way exactly is she not completely qualified for the hosting gig?
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

If Masked Singer ditches Nick Cannon, which seems probable, they should hire Tom Bergeron to host.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.