TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race Season 29 Premieres 3-30-17

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race Season 29 Premieres 3-30-17

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I enjoyed all the seasons even the Family Edition (Go Black Family!). It's about the journey and the scenery and the adventure. Even the blind date edition was great because of how much Blair was suffering because of Haley and they still almost won. It's great television for me without having to resort to the "shocking blindside" and producer manipulations that Survivor does.

GatorDeb - Season 2 and Season 5 are fantastic.
I started Season 1 as soon as I posted that and OMG I'm hooked, I'll prob watch all of them That's 227 hours of content, looks like I'm set for a while. And this is my first time watching Survivor as it goes and it's fantastic now I want to go back after this season and watch the other seasons, it's like, where have I been all this time with these two awesome shows??
Old 03-23-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a Hollywood Reporter article today about CBS pick ups

Also undecided is unscripted competition show The Amazing Race, which launches its new season next month in Training Day's time slot with the network said to want to shift to one season per year while producers are looking for two cycles
Old 03-23-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Amazing Race host Phil Keoghan also remains optimistic about the reality show getting picked up for a 30th season -- well, as long as people tune into Season 29, which kicks off next Thursday at 10/9c.

"This is an opportunity for us to go on a new night -- a big night for CBS," Keoghan told TVGuide . com. "People keep asking me, 'Is there going to be 30?' And I say, 'If the audience turns up and they watch the show ... then we'll be back.' It's as simple as that."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/cbs-renewals-2017-2018/

Last edited by LaxBandit; 03-23-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I started Season 1 as soon as I posted that and OMG I'm hooked, I'll prob watch all of them That's 227 hours of content, looks like I'm set for a while. And this is my first time watching Survivor as it goes and it's fantastic now I want to go back after this season and watch the other seasons, it's like, where have I been all this time with these two awesome shows??
Enjoy! While I've watched Survivor since the second season, I only picked up TAR four or five years ago. Thanks to your tip on Prime, I'll probably go back through some of the old ones.
Old 03-24-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

CBS screwed TAR over when they moved it from it's Sunday 8pm time slot to Friday nights. Just look at the #'s before/after the move, it was a significant drop.
Old 03-24-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
CBS screwed TAR over when they moved it from it's Sunday 8pm time slot to Friday nights. Just look at the #'s before/after the move, it was a significant drop.
I preferred it on Friday. Sunday nights are really crazy (Walking Dead, premium cable shows, other things) enough as it is, and then TAR would come on at the 7:00 slot, usually delayed by a football game or golf or whatever, and make juggling the DVR a fucking nightmare. (I DVR everything. By cutting out commercials I save a half an hour for every two hours of programming I watch.)

Sort of surprising that its ratings wouldn't suffer from all of the regular delays.
Old 03-24-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
Were their ratings sinking on Sundays?
Old 03-24-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

It's not promising that you can't buy a season pass for the new season on Amazon. I'm 100% down if they offer it.
Old 03-24-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
Were their ratings sinking on Sundays?
You can view them here: Link

The show went to Sunday nights for season 10 back in 2006 and it had that time slot for nearly 10 years before being moved to Friday nights. But as you can see it averaged 10-11mil viewers while it was in that time slot and then when it moved to Friday nights it dropped to 7.5mil.
Old 03-29-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Amazing Race 29's Phil Keoghan Reveals Why It Was Time for an All-Strangers Season - TV Guide . com - Tuesday, March 28.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-amaz...-phil-keoghan/

The strangers twist has always been bandied about, even in theory. Why did you guys finally decide to do it?

Phil Keoghan: We wanted to do something different. It's an idea that's been talked about for quite a while. It's something that fans have been talking about for a long time. There are a lot of fans that have said, "Look, I wanna go on the race, but I'm having difficulty tracking down somebody who can take time off work." We've identified a lot of really good people before who on their own seem perfect. One of the challenges is sometimes working out who a great character is going to go with. There are many times where we like one character but we don't necessarily like both of them. It's obviously a lot more challenging to find two people who are really incredible who happen to be on the same team than just finding an individual. It was just the idea of finding something new and different.

Why was now the right time to do it?

Keoghan: The timing seemed right to try something coming off the back of 28, which was themed around the whole idea of people in social media. It was just, let's give it a go. It felt like it was time. You're always trying to come up with new things to keep things fresh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the status on Season 30?

Keoghan: That's a good question. I think that depends a lot on how many people turn up to watch 29. I think it's an incredibly competitive television market. I think the reason we didn't get on [earlier this season] was they were trying new things, new shows. A lot of fans have said, "Why Thursday? Why 10 o'clock? Why can't it be this? Why can't it be that?" I've just said the same thing to all of them: "Let's focus on what we do have and what we can do and not what we don't have and what we can't do." This is an opportunity for us to go on a new night -- a big night for CBS ... and let's focus on what's right about this. People keep asking me, "Is there going be 30?" And I say, "If an audience turns up and they watch the show" -- and I do believe we'll get a big plus-3 [in DVR playback] because a lot of families are not going to be watching at 10 o'clock on Thursday, but hopefully we'll get new viewers too who may have missed us before -- "then we'll be back." It's as simple as that.

I'm going out on the road to do a film tour [for Le Ride, about the 1928 Tour de France], which is motivated by cross-promoting Amazing Race. I just got back from SXSW. It's going to be the opening film at the American Documentary Film Festival in Palm Springs. And we're doing screenings all over. ... It's motivated by getting out to CBS affiliates, getting out to Amazing Race fans. And hopefully we'll get the viewers there Thursday nights at 10 o'clock.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 03-29-17 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the producers often overthink needing to "keep it fresh" resulting in just flat out ridiculous ideas. The social media season was a perfect example. Quite often fans of the show are fans of the show because of the what they in prior seasons. On TAR a big part of the show was always how these teams interacted with each other given their prior relationship. While having strangers working together could be interesting, I suspect I'll end up liking the original format far better. I know that ended up being true for the blind dating season.
Old 03-29-17, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
It's not promising that you can't buy a season pass for the new season on Amazon. I'm 100% down if they offer it.
I think this is result of the promotion of CBS All Access. ($5.99/mo.)

Latest ad on their site says "Reality is now Commercial Free"--Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother.

Not that I'm encouraging yet another Pay App, but they are trying to make it enticing.