Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

Old 03-06-17, 10:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

it maybe has a TV-MA rating - but FX continues the trend to say any word (that is already said on HBO, Showtime, etc.,) uncensored --- oh my god, did he/she just say that?!?
Old 03-06-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Feud: Bette and Joan (FX) -- S: Lange, Sarandon -- From Ryan Murphy -- 3/5/17

Terrific title sequence, -very "Saul Bass".
Old 03-07-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Too bad the couldnt have had Faye Dunaway reprise Joan Crawford role from Mommie Dearest. She will always be Joan Crawford to me.
Old 03-07-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
it maybe has a TV-MA rating - but FX continues the trend to say any word (that is already said on HBO, Showtime, etc.,) uncensored --- oh my god, did he/she just say that?!?
Yeah, FX has really hammered home the f-bombs and c-bombs as of late.

That episode of Always Sunny sort of confirmed it wasn't just a Ryan Murphy / "Prestige Project" feature.

Oddly though, it never seems gratuitous.
Old 03-07-17, 08:46 AM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, FX has really hammered home the f-bombs and c-bombs as of late.

That episode of Always Sunny sort of confirmed it wasn't just a Ryan Murphy / "Prestige Project" feature.

Oddly though, it never seems gratuitous.
And Taboo.

They've tested the waters, and I guess have found that nobody has complained, or if they have, it is minimal. Sponsors aren't dropping...etc. There is nothing really stopping them from doing so. And I'm glad a station has had the balls to do it. Unlike AMC, which has neutered the language in the past.
Old 03-08-17, 09:57 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Terrific title sequence, -very "Saul Bass".
Yes, and even the FX promo stints that air during the commercial breaks.

Great start to this show - really liking Sarandan and Lange in these roles. Good supporting cast too. Molina as Aldrich and Tucci as Warner are spot on. Also, great to see Keirnan Shipka (Sally from Mad Men) appear as Bette's daughter.

This season is shaping up to be tons of fun
Old 03-19-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts

There was no bump for the second episode I see. I'm not too surprised - I don't see this show delivering much besides camp. It's well acted but I don't feel much of a story arc so far. The leads are great, but I wish some of the supporting characters had more to do : Stanley Tucci is ALWAYS fantastic and he's fun to watch here but doesn't have much interaction with Betty and Joan, which is a shame. I'm excited to see more of Kiernan Shipka who is super-talented, but it's hard not to think of her as Sally Draper when she's playing another rebellious teenager who verbally spars with her single mother. Then there's the odd decision to cast the actress who, according to Paste Magazine, gave the single best performance of 2016, but not give her any lines and make her essentially an extra -- what's up with that?

I'm still watching it with my daughter on the weekends. We also need to watch the movie; I think that will help. I'm not out on this series, but I was getting a little bored by the end of episode 2.
Old 03-19-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Watched the 1st episode and really enjoyed it. Gonna binge it over the summer as there are too many shows I'm watching right now.
Old 03-19-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think its been very solid, enjoying it...
Old 03-19-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Then there's the odd decision to cast the actress who, according to Paste Magazine, gave the single best performance of 2016, but not give her any lines and make her essentially an extra -- what's up with that?

I'm still watching it with my daughter on the weekends. We also need to watch the movie; I think that will help. I'm not out on this series, but I was getting a little bored by the end of episode 2.

What is it that you want us to see in that long article?
Old 03-19-17, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
What is it that you want us to see in that long article?
I thought it was pretty clear I was referring to #1 on that list :
(Note that the description below has all sorts of spoilers about The Americans Season 4. Consider yourself warned)

1. Alison Wright, The Americans
Network: FX

In the first half of The Americans’ incomparable fourth season, Wright’s Martha turns the tables: Caught between her secret marriage and her colleagues at the FBI, she acts with sudden abandon, culminating in the taut, terrifying escape of “Travel Agents.” Long a stalwart member of the series’ supporting cast, Wright uses Martha’s moment in the sun to craft a star turn of such range, and such depth, that its white-hot brilliance suffuses the rest of the season: To hear Martha describe her arrangement with Clark (“It’s probably the most honest relationship I’ve ever had”), or resign herself to exile (“I’ll be alone, just the way I was before I met you”), is to unearth, in a mere handful of episodes, a woman in full, an achievement other performers might match, if they’re lucky, in the entire lifespan of a series.

Through it all, Wright scarcely wavers. Each of her choices—from the panicked phone call she imbues with anxious humor and the biting sense of betrayal in an offhand remark to the whispered rage of Martha’s flight and the desolation of her predawn farewell—seems purposeful, edging toward the recognition that the character’s fate, for now, is sealed. Despite being ignored, to their great shame, by both the TV Academy and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the result is a razor-sharp portrait of politics’ human cost, of the consequences we elide with the phrase “collateral damage”—and, by some margin, the finest performance I saw on TV this year. Matt Brennan
Old 04-11-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

While he looks nothing like William Castle, it was fun seeing John Waters playing one of his personal idols.

I was already familiar with the history this show covers, but the writing and amazing cast still make it riveting to watch. Loved the whole Oscar night recreation on last week's episode. Such a vindictive act on Crawford's part, but you have to marvel at her audacity. The ultimate FU to Davis.
Old 04-12-17, 06:51 AM

I've enjoyed the show, but thought this could have wrapped up with this ep...

A little too much Joan and not enough Bette
Old 04-12-17, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never enough Joan
Old 04-12-17, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoy it, especially as an Aldrich fanboy, but there is no question it's too many episodes.
Old 04-12-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I think it's been paced out fairly well... and they definitely need those last two episodes to cover what went down during the "Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte" shoot. That's basically the closing chapter of the Davis/Crawford drama.
Old 04-12-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I think it's been paced out fairly well... and they definitely need those last two episodes to cover what went down during the "Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte" shoot. That's basically the closing chapter of the Davis/Crawford drama.
I agree. Hell, I would take a whole season about how their lives went on after Charlotte if they could. I have been fascinated by this mini-series and hope it did well. If you haven't been watching it, you really need to check it out.

And personally, I like Charlotte much more than Baby Jane. I had no idea Crawford got all the way to Louisiana for it. I knew she was up for the movie but then didn't go through with it. I had no idea it got so close to having her in it.
Old 04-25-17, 11:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

wow - what a series! expect a LOT of Emmy nominations
Old 04-25-17, 01:01 PM

nice wrap to the series, enjoyed it overall
Old 04-25-17, 01:07 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
wow - what a series! expect a LOT of Emmy nominations
Yup.
Old 04-26-17, 06:15 PM

Like I said before I was getting pretty bored with this show and was thisclose to dropping it from the DVR after episode 4 and just letting it go. But today my daughter and I watched Episode 5 = "And The Winner Is..." because I did want to see that famous episode recreated. MY GOD, what a great TV episode -- written and directed by Ryan Murphy himself. Everything that was wrong with episodes 1-4 seemed forgotten in that hour. Just magnificent stuff. Loved that post-Oscar presentation tracking shot :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jfk7SsEsDOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-26-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I thought it was a great series and Crawford and Davis were well before my time.
Old 04-26-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought Sarandon and Lange were neck and neck for the Emmy, but after that finale I'm pretty sure Lange has it locked. Brilliant.
Old 04-27-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I finally had the chance to finish this one off last night. This show has definitely been a major highlight to this year's TV season. The show just hit on so many things love, most prominently old Hollywood.

Sarandon and Lange were incredible all season long. Sarandon in particular was a standout for me, if for no other reason than her uncanny resemblance at times to Davis. There were moments when I felt she was truly physically inhabiting her. It was uncanny. Even though I love Lange, I wasn't as sure about her casting. She didn't have the same physical resemblance that Sarandon had, but she more than rose to the occasion. It will be interesting come Emmy time!
Old 04-27-17, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resemblance is not an acting trait. It's not what makes a great performance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.