Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

I enjoyed the characters and found the show engaging, but thought the murder-mystery police investigation angle was a pointless tease.

The yoga wife pushed Elvis away as he was beating his wife. Like the cop pointed out, she'd be charged with involuntary manslaughter at best and no way would receive jail time, so who gives a shit if the cops figure out what really happened? I don't feel like the women got away with anything. It certainly isn't dramatic.

From what I've read about the book, the yoga wife pushed him with the intention of killing him, but it sure didn't look that way in the show. It was pure heat of the moment. Maybe it would have been better if the fight had stopped, and he was just standing there, give her time to make a conscious to push him.
Old 04-04-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Yeah, the cover-up was not necessary. I thought the death was anti-climatic and would have preferred a different character bite it as that would have been more unpredictable. The set-up was pretty good in making you wonder who would die but in the end was what most viewers expected, I would think.

The certain kid doing the bullying was predictable. The identity of the date rape was kind of a surprise but didn't seem very well connected which was the true cause of the surprise. Kind of a plot twist for convenience rather than fluid.

All in all, I liked the show and the flawed characters. I would watch a sequel.

I was disappointed how well the husbands sang their Elvis tunes and the singing voices didn't sound a thing like them. The second one, maybe..but Reese's 2nd husband sounded nothing like his true voice. That took me more out of the finale than anything. The actors sound have just sang it live, warts and all.
Old 04-04-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The theme for the night was Elvis and Audrey Hepburn. How many parents with kids in that age range would actually be that familiar with Audrey Hepburn though?
All of them?
Old 04-04-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been my favorite new TV show and so far the only show I watch live. The only other show I really watch is The Americans.
Old 04-04-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the book more than that show, but that typically is the way it goes. One thing omitted in the show I think was the history of child abuse suffered by Bonnie, which helps to understand her reaction to the scene. Even her husband tells Reese's character in the book that she'd been some really bad things in the past. Without this knowledge, what she did just felt random.
Old 04-17-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I think it is a cutesy, "old soul" type thing designed to be amusing though unrealistic. I do laugh out loud every time she calls her mom, "Woman!" Very pretty little girl.

I don't disagree with the above poster stating that the virginity thing came out of nowhere and is ridiculous but who knows with kids these days? Sex is not as big of a deal as it was to us 30 years ago, especially for girls.

I enjoy the characters as I prefer to watch dramas with realistic flaws in all characters. This is no "Six Feet Under" but it has kept me interested. I would probably watch more if they decided to expand it.

And Reese is still fucking hot! I have loved her since Man In The Moon but kinda lost track during her "Illegally Blonde type" movie stage.
That kid was great! I had a lot of laughs over her character.

It was awesome to see Calamity Jane as the therapist. She was immediately familiar, but I didn't know why.

The rapist (not to be confused with therapist!!!) reveal was certainly a huge coincidence, but I still liked how they did it. As soon as Jane looked at him, you could see it. Good acting, there.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It sounds like a second season is a possibility, and I hope it happens!
Old 05-09-17, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Old 05-09-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Do not tease me, Queen Reese!
Old 05-09-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

And also, whoo-hoo! Looking forward to more of this.
Old 05-09-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesnt have to be lies, but I would love to see the, work on something together again...
Old 05-09-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Yeah they all seemed to have a good chemistry.
Old 05-09-17, 12:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Agree, I wouldn't mind spending more time with these characters. I assume they'll have to drum up an original script, since, to the best of my knowledge, all the relevant source material was used for season 1.
Old 05-09-17, 12:36 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

As much as I loved this... I really wish a limited series would stay just that. Work on something else.

But the author of the book has said she has been asked to think of ideas for a second series, so...
Old 07-26-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://tvline.com/2017/07/26/big-lit...e-witherspoon/

Season 2 is in early development. HBO has asked Liane Moriarity to come up with a new story.
Old 07-26-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Does this mean it has to change Emmy categories?
Old 07-26-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Does this mean it has to change Emmy categories?
Not for Season 1. Maybe Season 2 won't be considered a Limited Series, but Twin Peaks will be considered a Limited Series in 2018 and this won't really be much different from that.
Old 07-29-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Just finished watching this today. I only subscribe to HBO a few months a year to watch Game of Thrones and Hard Knocks and I try to catch up on all the other good HBO shows that I missed when I didn't have a subscription.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. Great acting by all the leads. Especially, the scenes with Kidman and Skarsgard. Those scenes were so intense. Great acting by those two. I originally thought that one of the husbands was the rapist and I was right. I suspected it might have been Ed especially during the scenes where you see that he's got a bit of anger burning inside him, but I was way off. I also thought that maybe Renata's husband was the one hurting the little girl, but I was wrong about that too. The reveals were a little obvious, but they honestly make sense.

Nicole Kidman looks amazing for 50. I know she's had work done, but Keith Urban is a lucky man. Also, the soundtrack was fantastic for this. I'm listening to it on Spotify now as I'm typing this. Looking forward to season two. I may have to resubscribe when this comes out again. Now that I've finished Big Little Lies, I'm going to start The Leftovers.
Old 09-19-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I just binged this yesterday. I liked it a lot for the performances. The story was ok. I really thought Reese's youngest daughter would be the bully for a while.
I hated the parent/faculty interviews. Yeah, I know we are supposed to see how hypocritical they are, but damn, it was like a hammer to the head.
Did anyone else think Laura Dern with the eye patch looked just like Darryl Hannah in Kill Bill?
Old 09-19-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I can' t believe this series won so much at the Emmys. It was OK but nothing memorable IMO.
Old 09-19-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I loved loved loved the book and after the first episode couldn't make myself sit through another one. Bummed as I was expecting to love it
Old 09-19-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I feel Nicole Kidman earned that Emmy for her role in this one.
Old 09-23-17, 08:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I can' t believe this series won so much at the Emmys. It was OK but nothing memorable IMO.
Totally agree. I don't get all the praise for this. It's almost like people think if you have 3 big name actresses in this, somehow it must be a masterpiece.

I was surprised to see the director win for this because I didn't think the show had any real suspense or momentum moving things forward. In particular the snippets of police interviews of the community were distracting and changed the tone.

The performances by everyone were flawless but I thought Nicole and Laura did way better than Reese. Her character just didn't seem like a real person. No idea why she was such a busy body, or a bitch. Or why she would have an affair. Or why she even got divorced. I assume her family must have had money since neither husband did but you never got any sense of how anyone supported their lifestyle. What the hell job did Alexander Skarsgard have?

I think the plot had potential but they didn't resolve too many things that made no sense. Needed a better adaption with better scripts and a better director who knew hot to tell the story better.
Old 09-23-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Funny enough, I just started watching this last night, and made it through 2 and a half episodes. I just can't get invested in it, -glad to see I'm not the only one, considering the praise it's been getting. The characters seem artificial to me, and they're all pretty annoying.
Old 11-09-17, 12:39 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It’s amazing how a crate full of Emmys can hasten the development process. Case in point: A second season of Big Little Lies is poised to become a reality (much) sooner than later.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that HBO is eyeing a Spring 2018 production start for the female-driven phenom, which snagged eight Emmy statues in September, including for Outstanding Limited Series and Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series for Nicole Kidman. As recently as two weeks ago, Big Little Lies EP/writer David E. Kelley strongly intimated to TVLine that a second season was nearing the scheduling stage.

“We’re kicking around ideas and trying to lasso the talent [and] get the band back together,” he shared. “It’s just a lot of logistical things. But I’m optimistic because everyone wants to do it. We feel we still have storytelling to do. No decision has been made yet, but we’re hopeful. Where we left it, I felt like it did open the opportunity for a lot more storytelling.”

An HBO rep declined to confirm anything about a potential second season.

Even before Big Little Lies triumphed at the Emmys, HBO asked Liane Moriarty — whose novel the miniseries was based on — to “take a crack at” coming with with a story for a potential second season. Kidman and fellow leading lady/EP Reese Witherspoon both expressed interest in keeping the franchise going, and director Jean-Marc Vallée — who initially balked at doing a sequel — now wants in. “It’d be great to reunite the team and to do it,” Vallée said backstage at the Emmys. “Are we going to be able to do it, altogether? I wish. We’ll see.”
http://tvline.com/2017/11/09/big-lit...-new-episodes/
Old 12-08-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Renewed for season 2.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/big-litt...ct-1202222921/

So can they take back all those Limited Series awards now?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.