Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Old 03-27-17, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

I still think the whole show is pointless. Too much soap opera for my taste...
Old 03-27-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- S: Witherspoon, Kidman, Woodley, Dern -- Premieres 2/19/17

Reese Witherspoon and her Exorcist rendition at the dinner....
Old 03-28-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What's the deal with this show always having the little kids singing and dancing along to really old songs? Is this something little kids are into these days? Shouldn't they be listening to Kidz Bop instead?
Old 03-28-17, 08:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've enjoyed the mini series, but glad it is ending next week.
Old 03-29-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

The daughter auctioning her virginity seemed to come out of nowhere, and felt really contrived. I'm annoyed half the episode was spent on that nonsense. This is the penultimate episode, yet there is nothing making me excited for the final chapter.

I do like the characters, and I think there is an interesting story here, but the way they've been telling it is awful. I have a feeling the show is being obfuscating just for the reason of being so.
Old 03-29-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
What's the deal with this show always having the little kids singing and dancing along to really old songs? Is this something little kids are into these days? Shouldn't they be listening to Kidz Bop instead?
I think it is a cutesy, "old soul" type thing designed to be amusing though unrealistic. I do laugh out loud every time she calls her mom, "Woman!" Very pretty little girl.

I don't disagree with the above poster stating that the virginity thing came out of nowhere and is ridiculous but who knows with kids these days? Sex is not as big of a deal as it was to us 30 years ago, especially for girls.

I enjoy the characters as I prefer to watch dramas with realistic flaws in all characters. This is no "Six Feet Under" but it has kept me interested. I would probably watch more if they decided to expand it.

And Reese is still fucking hot! I have loved her since Man In The Moon but kinda lost track during her "Illegally Blonde type" movie stage.
Old 03-29-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Speaking of the music in this show :

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...es-soundtrack/

The Big Little Lies Soundtrack You've Been Waiting For Is Coming Out—And It's Great

Perfect to play in your $15 million beach house.

HBO
By Matt Miller
Mar 28, 2017

Just about every single character on Big Little Lies has some dark secret, some horrible demon, some selfish obsession, or a petty feud. Despite all the dark themes of the show, the music on Big Little Lies is a goddamn delight. It's all contemporary and classic soul and R&B, most often pumped through nice car speakers or earbuds or expensive house soundsystem from Reese Witherspoon's daughter's inexplicably well-curated iPod.

Related Story
'Big Little Lies' Has the Best Theme Song on TV

The music on Big Little Lies has become a character of its own—and (probably) the only one that won't turn out to be the killer or the victim in Sunday's series finale. And likely in response to how much the music on the show has been dissected online (including a look at first grader Chloe's impeccable music taste), HBO has announced it's officially releasing the Big Little Lies soundtrack.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Hegd4xNfRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Out this Friday, the soundtrack features—along with the show's opening theme, Michael Kiwanuka's "Cold Little Heart"—Alabama Shakes ("This Feeling"), Charles Bradley ("Victim of Love," "Changes"), Leon Bridges ("River"), Agnes Obel ("September Song"), Villagers ("Nothing Arrived"), and more.

As music supervisor Sue Jacobs told Decider of Big Little Lies director and executive producer Jean-Marc Vallée: "What I say to a lot of people is that Jean-Marc paints with music like Jackson Pollock used paint. He paints all over and you'll see that throughout his work."

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FngDSOuCNAA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's music that shapes Big Little Lies as much as the brutal tendencies of human nature shape the comfortable lives of upper class people. While characters are often unpredictable, the music is the one reliable constant throughout the show.

See the full Big Little Lies soundtrack song list below:

01) Michael Kiwanuka: "Cold Little Heart"

02) Charles Bradley: "Victim of Love"

03) Martha Wainwright: "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole"

04) Leon Bridges: "River"

05) Kinny: "Queen of Boredness" [ft. Diesler]

06) Agnes Obel: "September Song"

07) Alabama Shakes: "This Feeling"

08) Charles Bradley: "Changes"

09) Irma Thomas: "Straight From the Heart"

10) Villagers: "Nothing Arrived" (Live From Spotify London)

11) Zoë Kravitz: "Don't"

12) Conor O'Brien: "The Wonder of You"

13) Daniel Agee: "How's the World Treating You"

14) Ituana: "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Old 03-30-17, 07:10 AM

Would be nice if they put ALL of the songs from the show on that CD. I heard Neil Young and Janis Joplin on a couple of them.
Old 04-02-17, 10:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

The death and who was bullying Renata's daughter were predictable, and Perry turning out to be Jane's rapist was a pretty big coincidence, but the big scene at the end was well done and Bonnie delivering the push that sent Perry to his death was a surprise.

Even at seven episodes this series was 2 or 3 episodes too long, but I liked how it all wrapped up.
Old 04-02-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

I think it was 2 or 3 episodes too short. I wanted to spend more time with these characters.
Old 04-02-17, 11:58 PM

I like how at the end you could hear the detective's zippo lighter opening and closing - knowing that she's watching all of them.

And I agree. I could use a few more episodes of this one. Too bad there won't be a second season!

Loved all those beach scenes thru-out the series.
Old 04-03-17, 12:06 AM

How many people showed up for that party? It looked more crowded than the Oscars.

And why did everyone call it Trivia Night? That was maybe Karaoke Night, but no trivia at all.

And all the women had to dress up as Audrey Hepburn -- why, exactly?
Old 04-03-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The theme for the night was Elvis and Audrey Hepburn. How many parents with kids in that age range would actually be that familiar with Audrey Hepburn though?
Old 04-03-17, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Bonnie pushing Perry to his death was probably the biggest surprise of the final episode.

The death itself wasn't really that much of a shocker. They really set it up from the start of the episode and then it was capped off after Celeste decided it was over with Perry, which set him off.

I didn't think too much of Perry being Jane's rapist. Little too much of a coincidence.

Overall, it was a well directed and acted miniseries. Good job by all the ladies. I think this could have been a 4-hour miniseries. It was a little too much exposition with these characters. But, it wrapped up pretty nicely.

Other than showing that Madeline is a fucked up character, the affair subplot with her didn't really add much.
Old 04-03-17, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Speaking of the soundtrack, which Decker mentioned in Post #57. I loved the music in this series. I went ahead and bought it off iTunes tonight. It was $10. Definitely very mellow music, but it will be nice to listen to in the car while stuck in LA traffic.
Old 04-03-17, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Overall, it was a well directed and acted miniseries. Good job by all the ladies. I think this could have been a 4-hour miniseries. It was a little too much exposition with these characters. But, it wrapped up pretty nicely.
Hell, it could have been a movie. I don't think five things of import happened in the five hours of TV between the first episode and the last. It was all filler, but the actresses made it interesting TV anyways. Could have done without all the eyewitness bullshit interstitial bits though.
Old 04-03-17, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Speaking of the soundtrack, which Decker mentioned in Post #57. I loved the music in this series. I went ahead and bought it off iTunes tonight. It was $10. Definitely very mellow music, but it will be nice to listen to in the car while stuck in LA traffic.
Did you notice that the theme song "Cold Little Heart" track is 10 minutes long? They don't even get to the "Aaaahaa" intro to the show until the 4:30 mark. It's kind of a trip.
Old 04-03-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Enjoyed the finale.
Old 04-03-17, 03:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

Here's an interesting read about some of the differences between the book and show

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/big-l...ok-ending.html
Old 04-03-17, 03:11 PM

When a colleague of mine told me there wasn't the Madeline affair subplot in the book, I thought she must have been mistaken since it looms large on the show. Guess she was right after all.
Old 04-04-17, 01:34 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I did a marathon of the final 5 episodes yesterday. I enjoyed it. What's his face from True Blood sure does play a creepy psycho well. lol
Old 04-04-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great series, enjoyed it a lot.

And Reese bending over the kitchen counter, pulling her panties down. Thank you.
Old 04-04-17, 08:45 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I think it was 2 or 3 episodes too short. I wanted to spend more time with these characters.
Interesting. I thought the shortened episode count helped the show and didn't draw it out more than it needed to be. Part of my struggle with the show is that none of the characters were terribly likeable from the start (perhaps a creative decision as they may not have had the luxury to flesh everyone out given the shortened season). They could have extended to 8 and included more on the aftermath of the party, but I don't think it would have been very effective or captivating.
Old 04-04-17, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This show was a pleasant surprise, and a pretty good ending.
Old 04-04-17, 02:08 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

I will miss not seeing these women on a weekly basis.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.