TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girls (HBO) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 2/12/17

Old 02-12-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Girls (HBO) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 2/12/17

jpg images

Episode #53 (season 6, episode 1): "All I Ever Wanted"

Debut: SUNDAY, FEB. 12 (10:00-10:45 p.m. ET/PT)

Riding a wave of newfound career success, Hannah (Lena Dunham) gets an assignment to write a story about a female surf camp in the Hamptons, where she meets Paul-Louis (Riz Ahmed), an uncomplicated waterski instructor. Hoping to break her old patterns post-divorce, Marnie (Allison Williams) tells Ray (Alex Karpovsky) he needs to spend more time at his own place, but Adam (Adam Driver) and Jessa's (Jemima Kirke) intensity drives him out of the apartment.

Written by Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner; directed by Lena Dunham.

10 episode final season premieres tonight

Old 02-13-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: Girls (HBO) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 2/12/17

Dunham just can keep her clothes on and now she is banging Naz from the Night of.
Old 02-13-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

This show has a bigger fantasy element than Game of Thrones. Dragons are more believable than all these decent looking guys wanting to bang Hannah.
Old 02-14-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, it would be one thing if her character was charming, or something. But she's unattractive both physically and personality-wise. Even the horniest of horndogs would steer clear of that mess.

Ray's like the only sane person on the show - and I don't get what happened to him - wasn't he doing well, with his own place?
Old 02-14-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
This show has a bigger fantasy element than Game of Thrones. Dragons are more believable than all these decent looking guys wanting to bang Hannah.
Old 02-15-17, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Hannah is chubby, but the chick on the far left in the picture above (I forget her character's name) has one of the ugliest faces I've seen on a TV show.

Lena Dunham could be sort of cute if she lost the weight.
Old 02-15-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank god this is the last season, so hopefully Dunham's 15 minutes of fame are over. She was on Howard Stern the other day and wouldn't shut up about Trump and politics. She spoke at the DNC Convention last year, so she had her platform to speak about the issues she cares about. Even Stern was trying to be nice when she kept pestering him about being friends with Trump, as he knew his listeners don't tune in to hear about planned parenthood and other political issues that she wouldn't shut up about.
Old 02-15-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Hannah is chubby, but the chick on the far left in the picture above (I forget her character's name) has one of the ugliest faces I've seen on a TV show.

Yea, Sosh's face doesn't do her any favors - but she's got a nice little body. Definitely bangable, but you'd have to stuff a sock in her mouth.

As already mentioned, Hannah is just gross all around - body and personality. And it's not just that she's chubby/fat - but she looks like she hasn't done a physical activity in her whole life. I'm not sure if it's just her acting or if it's real - but she moves like a slug.
Old 02-15-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading comments dissecting the various aspects of these women's looks reminds me of why I've always found dark humor in the fact that the least attractive woman on the show is frequently nude. It's the exact opposite of what guys want to see, but the show has steadfastly said, "Too bad. Watch it or don't."

It's like reading an IMDB message board where someone sees a new Amy Adams movie and asks, "Is there nudity?!" (With that sometimes seemingly being the only criteria as to whether it's worth watching or not). Girls responds, "Well, yes, but perhaps not how you'd want."

While reading one of these threads, I once imagined a less-the-average-attractiveness girl running for Prom Queen and having someone say to her, "You know, you're not really all that attractive." Our fictional potential queen responds, "I know, but if it's OK with you, I'm going to go ahead and run anyway."

Our obsession with beauty is human, but I have zero problem with someone who throws it in our faces here and there.
Old 02-15-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said, the issue isn't Hannah's lack of physical attractiveness, but her personality - she's just a horrible, selfish person. Someone her age with her looks would do fine, but that personality would alienate almost all comers, especially people like that surf instructor.
Old 02-15-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Reading comments dissecting the various aspects of these women's looks reminds me of why I've always found dark humor in the fact that the least attractive woman on the show is frequently nude. It's the exact opposite of what guys want to see, but the show has steadfastly said, "Too bad. Watch it or don't."

It's like reading an IMDB message board where someone sees a new Amy Adams movie and asks, "Is there nudity?!" (With that sometimes seemingly being the only criteria as to whether it's worth watching or not). Girls responds, "Well, yes, but perhaps not how you'd want."

While reading one of these threads, I once imagined a less-the-average-attractiveness girl running for Prom Queen and having someone say to her, "You know, you're not really all that attractive." Our fictional potential queen responds, "I know, but if it's OK with you, I'm going to go ahead and run anyway."

Our obsession with beauty is human, but I have zero problem with someone who throws it in our faces here and there.
Yeah, it amuses me that people have been coming here for 5+ seasons with the same complaints. Everyone knows Hannah is going to be naked, so it's not like it's a shock.

Ray telling Jessa "I'm gonna have to lie down, where... your vagina is." was pretty funny.

Overall, not a bad episode. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 02-15-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray is probably the only reason why I still watch this show.
Old 02-19-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper

Zosia Mamet the daughter of David Mamet
Old 02-20-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Zosia Mamet the daughter of David Mamet
And Lindsay Crouse
Old 02-20-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh my god, that Desi is such a piece of shit. But then I realized that back when I was around Marni's age, I dated a girl who was just like a female version of Desi, so I couldn't get too pissed at her for constantly going back to someone like that - sometimes, we're just drawn to shitty people. And the younger, less emotionally experienced we are, the less we notice their shittyness.
Old 02-20-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even with his oxy use Desi did not deserve to be locked out of the house or apartment. They guy seemed kind of mellow until they found out lol.

Hannah and Marni freaked out and made it worse.
Old 02-24-17, 01:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

the tone of this season is nice, its somewhat mellow (well except desi) Seems like it will probably end up with Hannah leaving NY and moving back to Michigan.
Old 02-24-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dunham looks better if she keeps that haircut in the HBO promo poster on the top of this thread.
Old 02-24-17, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dunham looks better if she keeps that haircut in the HBO promo poster on the top of this thread.
And also if she's able to photoshop herself like in that promo pic.
Old 02-28-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Holy shit, was "American Bitch" a great episode! Second year in a row they made a bottle episode that felt like an indie movie - and a great one at that. Matthew Rhys was phenomenal, no surprise there, but the depth and thoughtfulness of the writing was kinda amazing. The look into consent and power dynamics was intense and thought-provoking, That might have been my favorite episode of the entire run.
Old 02-28-17, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Yeah, it was definitely a good episode. I don't know that it was my favourite, but it was up there.
Old 02-28-17, 09:05 AM

I was curious to see what my favorite TV writer, Alan Sepinwall wrote about the episode. His take was an interesting one : It was a great episode of TV but not a great episode of Girls. He argues that Hannah was way more confident, determined and unflappable than we have ever seen her. It wasn't true to her character. He states this was Lena Dunham making no her point as Lena Dunham with just a few Hannah Horvath character traits thrown in. It's an interesting argument to make.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/girls-am...-recap-review/
Old 02-28-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that was a well written episode, but Hannah was not herself, and except for the progression of her writing career, it had little to do with the overall story and character progressions for the show.
Old 02-28-17, 11:44 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Great episode. And now that you've pointed that out Decker, I would agree. At the start though she was a little insecure putting on her makeup in the elevator.

This was almost as good as the Marnie stand alone episode, which is one of my faves.

But I did really like the story and how it unfolded. Was told well, and Matthew Rhys was great!
Old 02-28-17, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BDB

This was almost as good as the Marnie stand alone episode, which is one of my faves.
As Sepinwall points out, this episode was directed by Richard Shepherd, who also did that episode ("Panic In Central Park") as well as "One Man's Trash" the famous, controversial Season 2 bottle episode with Patrick Wilson. Clearly Shepherd is their go-to guy for the change-of-pace stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.