Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sneaky Pete (Amazon) -- Created by Bryan Cranston, S: Cranston, Ribisi -- Premieres 1/13/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sneaky Pete (Amazon) -- Created by Bryan Cranston, S: Cranston, Ribisi -- Premieres 1/13/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

A con man (Giovanni Ribisi) on the run from a vicious gangster (Bryan Cranston) takes cover from his past by assuming the identity of his prison cellmate, Pete, "reuniting" with Pete's estranged family, a colorful, dysfunctional group that threatens to drag him into a world just as dangerous as the one he's trying to escape - and, just maybe, give him a taste of the loving family he's never had.

For those who don't know. This is one of the several new 2017 Pilots that Amazon picked up. This officially premieres next Friday.

But, I didn't see a thread for this and I figured since this show stars Cranston, it's worth giving you all a headsup.

The Pilot can be watched at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Pete/d...ds=sneaky+pete

The rest of the season will be available next week as I said.

This show was created and produced by Cranston. He co-wrote it with David Shore (creator of House)

Grahm Yost, former showrunner of Justified, is the showrunner of this series.

Giovanni Ribisi is the lead of the series.

Will this be added into your viewing rotation right away or will you hold off with all the shows returning from break?
Old 01-07-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: Sneaky Pete (Amazon Prime) - Created by & starring Bryan Cranston - Premieres 1/1

Graham Yost has an amazing pedegree : He also did From The Earth To The Moon, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific, he's currently an EP on The Americans and he created and ran Boomtown (a personal favorite of mine).
Old 01-08-17, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Sneaky Pete (Amazon Prime) - Created by & starring Bryan Cranston - Premieres 1/1

Originally Posted by Decker
Graham Yost has an amazing pedegree : He also did From The Earth To The Moon, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific, he's currently an EP on The Americans and he created and ran Boomtown (a personal favorite of mine).
Ahh- Boomtown- haven't thought about that one in a long time. That was such a great show- still have the DVD set.
Old 01-08-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The thread title made me think Cranston was the lead but it's Ribisi, think I will pass on it.
Old 01-08-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ribisi = pass.
Old 01-09-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the stand alone episode forever ago. It was ok. I'll give this a go just because of Grahm Yost. Justified is one of the best written directed shows I've ever seen.
Old 01-10-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Every time I hear this title, I can't help but think of Skinny Pete, particularly since it's associated with Bryan Cranston.
Old 01-13-17, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Bump

All 10 episodes available as of today if you have the time to watch.

I see by a few comments here there aren't too many Giovanni Ribisi fans.
Old 01-13-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind Ribisi as an actor, but knowing he's another scientologist whack job puts a damper on it, for me.

I'll give it a shot, grumbling the whole way.

I'm glad I didn't know Elizabeth Moss was a scientologist when watching Mad Men.

Crap like that shouldn't matter, but it just bugs me that people can be so gullible.
Old 01-13-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I don't mind Ribisi as an actor, but knowing he's another scientologist whack job puts a damper on it, for me.

I'll give it a shot, grumbling the whole way.

I'm glad I didn't know Elizabeth Moss was a scientologist when watching Mad Men.

Crap like that shouldn't matter, but it just bugs me that people can be so gullible.
I hate Scientology after reading Going Clear and a few other books by ex-Scienotologists and Leah Remini's show. Ribisi and Moss are second generation Scientologists, so in a way I can give him a bit of a break because their parents got them into it. I get what you mean about being a damper in movies or shows when some of the cast members are Scientologists.

I have been seeing promos for Sneaky Pete quite a bit and I have the feeling that it will better than Hand of God. I'll give this a try at some point.
Old 01-14-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been waiting for Sneaky Pete since the pilot came out way back when. I started thinking perhaps they decided not to go forward with it. Then as more time passed, I started thinking it'd be difficult to keep some of the talent involved in the pilot.

Ribisi doesn't bother me.
Old 01-15-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I watched the first 3 episodes and it's good so far. Bryan Cranston as the mob-kingpin is quite awesome.
Old 01-15-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched the whole season on Friday and Saturday. LOVED IT. Great character actors across the board make for a lot of memorable supporting characters. The first episode definitely felt way more 'CBS' than the remainder of the series and about halfway in, when we've established a lot of the exposition and can focus more on character and forward moving plot, it really picks up - has Yost and Co's fingerprints all over it. If you like Justified, I think you'll dig this (fun to spot all the actors who have appeared on Justified and The Americans). I love Cranston and he's having a lot of fun here but I was really impressed with Ribisi - I usually can't stand the guy much but he was great as the lead. Really hope this does well because I need a season 2!! I'd say it's my favourite of the Amazon originals that I've watched, hands down.
Old 01-15-17, 10:35 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Every time I hear this title, I can't help but think of Skinny Pete, particularly since it's associated with Bryan Cranston.
That was exactly my thought.
Old 01-15-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And, of course, Amazon Prime video in Canada is not carrying it. They must've sold the rights to one of our networks, instead. Looks like it'll be torrent time for this one.

Good thing I'm only on a free Amazon Prime trial, as I wouldn't pay $79 for the crap selection we get. I can always wait the extra day (if that) for free shipping, too.
Old 01-16-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And, of course, Amazon Prime video in Canada is not carrying it. They must've sold the rights to one of our networks, instead. Looks like it'll be torrent time for this one.
I got a Roku a few years ago, used a VPN to set it up and downloaded the Amazon Video app and now, even without a VPN, I can log in to that app and watch all the US prime content, even though I am in Canada, with a Canadian Prime account I honestly think I might rewatch this entire season again in the next week, I love this show. (I'm sure the comparisons of Skinny Pete and Sneaky Pete are not lost on Cranston...who plays a character named VINCE - so not like he's trying to get away from the Breaking Bad references).
Old 01-17-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Interesting... Does the US app allow them to stream from anywhere?

I know my oldest boy said he can watch US content, as well, but I forget how that came about. I believe he also mentioned something weird about not being able to watch Canadian content. I don't know if that's still the case.
Old 01-18-17, 05:46 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

watched the first episode liked it enough to check out another but not blowing me away

they should have just cast Aaron Paul and be done with it
Old 01-19-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I have 2 eps left and it's been excellent. I'm really glad amazon picked it up instead of CBS--makes it much more realistic with the characters, language, etc.
Old 01-19-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still haven't watched but the original pilot (which I think differs slightly from the current pilot), but based on how long I waited for S1 with anticipation, this is good news for me...

Sneaky Pete Renewed for Season 2
Old 01-24-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just burned through this over the weekend.
Enjoyed it quite a bit, though I'm a sucker for the "complicated con" genre.

Fun stuff! Sure, it's Ribisi's show in theory, but Cranston stole it whenever he was on.
Plus, Margo Martindale and Peter Gerety were terrific.

Looking forward to another season.
Old 01-24-17, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Just burned through this over the weekend.
Enjoyed it quite a bit, though I'm a sucker for the "complicated con" genre.

Fun stuff! Sure, it's Ribisi's show in theory, but Cranston stole it whenever he was on.
Plus, Margo Martindale and Peter Gerety were terrific.

Looking forward to another season.
Fun show but the writing wasn't great (prob due to being spoiled by a Vince Gilligan). There were some scenes where it was just awkward with Cranston. It wasn't his fault. The script left alot to be desired at times.

Overall, I'll be here for season 2
Old 02-02-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

About halfway through the season and I'm liking it so far. I like seeing a bunch of characters from other shows I like such Tim from Justified, Margo Martindale (both Justified and The Americans), Cisco (Mr. Robot), and Martha (The Americans).

Bryan Cranston is strong as always.
Old 02-07-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Finished this up last night. Thought the ending was alittle anticlimactic, but I'll be back for season 2.
Old 02-07-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
About halfway through the season and I'm liking it so far. I like seeing a bunch of characters from other shows I like such Tim from Justified, Margo Martindale (both Justified and The Americans), Cisco (Mr. Robot), and Martha (The Americans).

Bryan Cranston is strong as always.
Looking up some of the actors, I noticed that a large number of them were also in Blue Bloods. IIRC, there were close to 30 actors that appeared in both shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.