Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Originally Posted by d2cheer
So those of you watching this are there any cases that were solved that you really wanted to know about???
Many of these stories I had not seen in 20+ years since they aired on NBC. I don't recall anything specifically that I wanted to know about.

There were many updates new on this streaming version. The Producers are doing title card updates to cases that were solved recently since the end of the series or even ones that remain unsolved.
Old 08-14-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Unsolved Mysteries available for streaming (Stack & Farina episodes) with updates

Season 8 is now up.
Old 08-15-17, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Thanks for the headsup. Also saw the announcement on Facebook from the Unsolved Mysteries page.

I can't believe that I've binge watched all 7 seasons so far. I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with new original content.
Old 08-15-17, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Heh, I'm still working my way through season 1. Of course, I might watch 2-3 a week so that's why.
Old 08-16-17, 06:44 PM

I started watching season 8 last night. I hated how they slightly changed the opening theme.
Old 08-16-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I remember back in the mid-'90s when the original theme was altered, and how disappointed I was. They basically filed down the music's high-voltage hard edges, the pounding bass lines and shrieking synth sections, until it was a muzak version of the original. What a superb score the original was!
Old 08-22-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

http://decider.com/2017/08/22/unsolv...ium=SocialFlow

Unsolved Mysteries could return by the end of the year. Producers are currently in discussions with unnamed broadcasters.
Old 08-23-17, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Curious who they'd get to host if it comes back. If it's done similar to the classic episodes I'd be interested.
Old 08-24-17, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Curious who they'd get to host if it comes back. If it's done similar to the classic episodes I'd be interested.
DJariya's suggestion of Terry O'Quinn is a good one. But, O'Quinn has a gig hosting a show about mysteries for the Science Channel.

Tom Selleck has narrated episodes of America's Game on NFL Network and his voice sort of reminds me of Stack's.
Old 08-24-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

You know that's not someone I'd have thought of but Selleck actually could be an interesting choice.
Old 09-04-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Wow, what astounding news about the reboot! I don't think it'll be a patch on the original, but we shall see, if it even comes to fruition. Yes, Selleck might work well. As I've mentioned before, I think Stacy Keach would be a worthy choice. I remember he was quite an effective host of Missing/Reward. Brian Dennehy also has the gravitas for the role. It requires someone with emotional heft, not a pretty face, which is why Keeley Shaye Smith was such a poor addition to U.M. in the '90s.
Old 09-07-17, 11:56 PM

Season 9 is up.

Stacy Keach and Brian Dennehy are good suggestions as host for a possible UM reboot. I kind of hope the reboot happens and there would be interest these days because many people are heavily interested in true crime because of podcasts and TV shows. If a UM reboot includes ghosts and UFOs they could find stories/cases that weren't covered in the original show.
Old 10-24-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta..._season_select

Season 12 was just posted to Amazon video yesterday.

It's the final season and Stack's final TV appearance.

Seasons 11 and 12 aired on Lifetime and a bunch of repeat stories from earlier seasons were edited out. So the last few seasons are very short.

I'm currently watching season 9, so I have a ways to go before it's over for good.

Also, Virginia Madsen was edited out as co-host of season 10, which aired on CBS. They combined 2 seasons of content from CBS into 1 due to legal reasons and cutting Virginia's episodes.

This was a great treat to watch throughout 2017. One of my favorite shows from the 80's and 90's and early 2000's. I'll savor these last few seasons. Hopefully the next big announcement is a new revival of the show.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-24-17 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta..._season_select

Season 12 was just posted to Amazon video yesterday.

It's the final season and Stack's final TV appearance.

Seasons 11 and 12 aired on Lifetime and a bunch of repeat stories from earlier seasons were edited out. So the last few seasons are very short.

I'm currently watching season 9, so I have a ways to go before it's over for good.

Also, Virginia Madsen was edited out as co-host of season 10, which aired on CBS. They combined 2 seasons of content from CBS into 1 due to legal reasons and cutting Virginia's episodes.

This was a great treat to watch throughout 2017. One of my favorite shows from the 80's and 90's and early 2000's. I'll savor these last few seasons. Hopefully the next big announcement is a new revival of the show.
Amazing they managed to get the whole series on streaming. Its still missing many segments that were cut for unknown reason, and some of the NBC specials, but this is about as complete as you can get.

I still have my original slip-sleeve DVDs releases and 'treasure box'. Love this show.

Wish iTunes would offer each season for sale. Amazon streaming is always cruddy for me on App or computer and still no AppleTV app.
Old 12-19-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk God

So, I'm currently on season 11, which is one of the Lifetime seasons.

I'm still enjoying re-visiting the show. Should have it finished in a few more weeks.

But, I can where the show started it's decline. The quality of the stories chosen became much less compelling. Too many stories about miracles, religious phenomenon, Legends and UFO's. Much less about True Crime, Fugitives and Unsolved murders, Missing people, which I think was the strength of the series.

Keely Shaye Smith....totally unnecessary addition to show. Her update segments added nothing to the show. Stack was more than capable of doing those on his own, which he did for season 1-6.

Also, the production value of the recreations started to decline dramatically. If you watch the show closely, it's a night and day difference between the earlier seasons and say season 11. Some of the creepier segments from earlier seasons had really good music cues and compelling scores. The CBS/Lifetime seasons and even later NBC seasons did not utilize that and look really low budget overall. Almost America's Most Wanted bad quality recreations.

Stack was still doing solid work on camera and in his narrations even though he was past 80 in the Lifetime seasons. His voice does sound noticeably rougher though.

Lastly, re-mixing the opening theme to a few different variations after season 6 was a bad idea. I didn't mind the new opening title cards, but the opening theme was such a powerful element. The remixed theme used for the CBS seasons was awful.

It's going to be really weird watching the final episode of the series. Season 12 episode 13 with Stack saying at the end join me next time for another edition of Unsolved Mysteries and there will be no more. I mentioned it before, Filmrise and the Producers of the show edited out all the repeated segments from earlier seasons in the Lifetime seasons of the show. So there really is no clean "end" to the show.
Old 12-19-17, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So, I'm currently on season 11, which is one of the Lifetime seasons.

I'm still enjoying re-visiting the show. Should have it finished in a few more weeks.

But, I can where the show started it's decline. The quality of the stories chosen became much less compelling. Too many stories about miracles, religious phenomenon, Legends and UFO's. Much less about True Crime, Fugitives and Unsolved murders, Missing people, which I think was the strength of the series.

Keely Shaye Smith....totally unnecessary addition to show. Her update segments added nothing to the show. Stack was more than capable of doing those on his own, which he did for season 1-6.

Also, the production value of the recreations started to decline dramatically. If you watch the show closely, it's a night and day difference between the earlier seasons and say season 11. Some of the creepier segments from earlier seasons had really good music cues and compelling scores. The CBS/Lifetime seasons and even later NBC seasons did not utilize that and look really low budget overall. Almost America's Most Wanted bad quality recreations.

Stack was still doing solid work on camera and in his narrations even though he was past 80 in the Lifetime seasons. His voice does sound noticeably rougher though.

Lastly, re-mixing the opening theme to a few different variations after season 6 was a bad idea. I didn't mind the new opening title cards, but the opening theme was such a powerful element. The remixed theme used for the CBS seasons was awful.

It's going to be really weird watching the final episode of the series. Season 12 episode 13 with Stack saying at the end join me next time for another edition of Unsolved Mysteries and there will be no more. I mentioned it before, Filmrise and the Producers of the show edited out all the repeated segments from earlier seasons in the Lifetime seasons of the show. So there really is no clean "end" to the show.
I'm just so glad these are available. These were always so tough to watch since lifetime stopped airing them (which were still cut). I wish they would be available for sale so I could own them digitally. Amazon is hit and miss quality for me and Hulu only has up to 6 seasons (Already watched those). Shame some segments are still missing but it looks like we will get 99%.
Old 09-17-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/plut...eries-channel/

Pluto TV, the free live TV streaming service, will have a 24/7 Unsolved Mysteries channel starting tomorrow.
Old 03-14-19, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzi...cX9Gw/featured

For those who didn't watch the Robert Stack episodes on Amazon Prime because you don't have Amazon, got good news. The seasons are now available for free on YouTube.

Right now 7 of the 12 seasons are available with new seasons being posted semi-regularly. There are brief intermittent commercial breaks, which YouTube normally puts in for long content.
Old 09-07-23, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

A new behind the scenes Unsolved Mysteries special is coming in October. This has nothing to do with the Netflix version.

Old 09-07-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

More information

Join us... perhaps you can help celebrate 35 years of Unsolved Mysteries! A brand new special, Unsolved Mysteries: Behind the Legacy, is coming to select Alamo Drafthouse Theaters across the country on October 4th, and streaming on Pluto TV on October 5th. We've partnered with FilmRise TV to bring you never-before-seen footage and behind the scenes stories from the show. Visit filmrise.com for more information, and stay tuned for updates on #UnsolvedMysteries35 🔍
The following users liked this post:
story (10-05-23)
Old 10-05-23, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump
The special airs tonight on Pluto TV at 8pm ET if you feel like watching it live. It will be on the Unsolved Mysteries channel.

It will be available on demand on Pluto tomorrow.

TRT is 97 minutes
story (10-05-23)
Old 10-09-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched the special last night on Pluto. There are 6 ad breaks. The special runs about 1 hour tops.

Anyway, it was pretty good. A good reflection on the Robert Stack years. The 2 creators of the show, John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer, were interviewed along with directors, producers and researchers on the original series. You have to respect the amount of work that went into producing the original show. This was pre-internet and they had to make a lot of cold calls to police stations and newspapers to do research for potential stories. A lot of work went into getting updates into the show as well.

They said Robert Stack loved working on the show. They even showed some raw footage as he was filming his lines for the show. They talked a lot of some of the memorable episodes the series covered.

If you were a fan of the original series, it's 100% worth watching.
Old 10-27-23, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

The entire 55 minute special is now available to watch for free on the Unsolved Mysteries YouTube channel.

Here is the video link if you're interested to book mark it for later to watch it on TV

MLBFan24 (10-27-23)
Old 10-27-23, 03:22 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

We've been watching some of the classic episodes as a family and we watched this special as a family on its debut weekend, we really enjoyed it. I thought the opening was weird, sort of just jumped into the show and it went fast from topic to topic, but I really liked all the topics they covered.